Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-08, 08:29 PM   #1
jacob.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tires and Pedals

So the DHL guy came today and gave me my bike. I put it all together and went to put on the pedals i had from my old 10 speed road bike. Well whooptey **** they didn't fit. Great. Now i gotta go out and buy 50 dollar pedals, and I gotta wait at least another week to ride this mother f'ing bike.

And than i went to pump up the tires, and theyre some weird nozzle I've never seen, so my bike pump wont work on this. WTF is up with that? Do i have to buy some special pump as well?

This is such bs.

/rant.
jacob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:37 PM   #2
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Presta valve. No, they make adapters.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:37 PM   #3
CaptainCool
``````````````
 
CaptainCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: san jose
Bikes:
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
platforms + clips + straps cost less than $50

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#presta
CaptainCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:39 PM   #4
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you serious?

that's probably a presta valve you're talking about. most pumps have a reversible head that will fit presta.

is your 10sp road bike french? Pedal threading hasn't changed for at least 30 years, unless of course, it's an older french bike. If it isn't french, then try it the other way around, the threading is not the same for both sides.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:42 PM   #5
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Was your old bike a department store bike or is your new one? do you need 1/2" or 9/16" pedals? You can find either size for less than fifty bucks. Sounds like you need a *****pump.
French pedals? Hadn't thought of that.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:42 PM   #6
jacob.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No its a huffy, some bike i got a garage sale for 15 bucks. and I tried both sides, the bolt is too small, slips right through the hold of the redline i just bought.
jacob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:48 PM   #7
jacob.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCool View Post
platforms + clips + straps cost less than $50

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#presta
The cheapest pedals my lbs has are $59.99. And If i order online, I gotta wait at least an other week.
jacob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:49 PM   #8
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
Are you serious?

that's probably a presta valve you're talking about. most pumps have a reversible head that will fit presta.

is your 10sp road bike french? Pedal threading hasn't changed for at least 30 years, unless of course, it's an older french bike. If it isn't french, then try it the other way around, the threading is not the same for both sides.
I am guessing that it is an old 10 speed. 2 chainrings and 5 rear cogs. Those pedals were 1/2", not 9/16" like now. Most pumps sold at a LBS can do both, but older ones (for the old bike) or the ones at department stores often only have shraeder valve openings.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:55 PM   #9
jacob.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
I am guessing that it is an old 10 speed. 2 chainrings and 5 rear cogs. Those pedals were 1/2", not 9/16" like now. Most pumps sold at a LBS can do both, but older ones (for the old bike) or the ones at department stores often only have shraeder valve openings.
Yeah, real old Huffy 10 speed, with the 2 chainrings and 5 rear. I'm gonna have to go to century cycles and get either an adapter (hopefully they have it, its not on their website), and I'm gonna special order some cyclocross pedals i found for 16 bucks.

And sorry for sounding so stupid, as i've never seen presta valves before. I am frustrated that i wont get to ride this bike, its just gonna sit in my house taunting me.

Ugh, I hate waiting, I waited 2 weeks for the bike, and all winter to ride.
jacob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:55 PM   #10
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob. View Post
No its a huffy, some bike i got a garage sale for 15 bucks. and I tried both sides, the bolt is too small, slips right through the hold of the redline i just bought.
There ya go. Huffy-type 1/2" pedals would be too small for a quality-bike 9/16" pedal "hold" I mean hole.
Sometimes you can find 9/16" pedals at discount stores. A basic quality pump will handle presta or schraeder tire tube stems. Or, use an adapter. Your bike shop should have one, altho they might want $50.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:58 PM   #11
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob. View Post
Yeah, real old Huffy 10 speed, with the 2 chainrings and 5 rear. I'm gonna have to go to century cycles and get either an adapter (hopefully they have it, its not on their website), and I'm gonna special order some cyclocross pedals i found for 16 bucks.

And sorry for sounding so stupid, as i've never seen presta valves before. I am frustrated that i wont get to ride this bike, its just gonna sit in my house taunting me.

Ugh, I hate waiting, I waited 2 weeks for the bike, and all winter to ride.
Century has adapters and also has pedals for less that 50 bucks. Which shop are you near?
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:01 PM   #12
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the one in Rocky River has a fishbowl of the adapters by the register.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:03 PM   #13
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
I know the one in Rocky River has a fishbowl of the adapters by the register.
So does Peninsula and I imagine Medina too.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:09 PM   #14
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I will need to ride to Medina to find out. That is if I can get my legs to recover.

jacob, what kind of pedals do you want?
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:15 PM   #15
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Patience, Jacob!! You have the bike and that's the best part so far, right? At least it's with you, so you can drool over it all you want.

Try not to let presta valves intimidate you. Just unscrew the tiny top, push on it to release a little pressure, then put your adaptor (about $1.00) on it. Then just pump it up like you usually would.

As for the pedals, you can call the LBS and see if they have some used ones that people traded up for. I got mine that way. Ten bucks!

Congrats on your new bike, Jacob. And don't forget your helmet.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:34 PM   #16
jacob.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Patience, Jacob!! You have the bike and that's the best part so far, right? At least it's with you, so you can drool over it all you want.

Try not to let presta valves intimidate you. Just unscrew the tiny top, push on it to release a little pressure, then put your adaptor (about $1.00) on it. Then just pump it up like you usually would.

As for the pedals, you can call the LBS and see if they have some used ones that people traded up for. I got mine that way. Ten bucks!

Congrats on your new bike, Jacob. And don't forget your helmet.
Haha, I dont wear a helmet...sorry

And I am closest to the Rocky River one, Probably like a 30-45 minute bike ride, if that...SweetLou, are you in ohio? That's pretty neat.

And I was looking at these. I dont want anything fancy, and these seem perfect for me.

http://centurycycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=52&action=details&sku=PD1063
jacob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:59 PM   #17
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I'm in Cleveland, in the West Park area. Chipcom is somewhere between Cleveland and Akron, if I remember correctly. The Rocky River Century Cycle is about 6 miles from me. It is the shop I go to the most.

I don't know if Century Cycle will have that pedal in stock, but they do have some platforms there and they aren't expensive. The extended catalogue's prices are not always the same as the real price. I think it has something to do with getting the info from QBP.

If you are going to special order the pedals and wait a week. I have some platforms that I am not using ( I only ride clipless). If you want them, they are yours.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:09 PM   #18
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
That sure is nice, Sweet Lou!! Perhaps he can put the money toward a helmet now? (hint hint) Gotta protect yer brain!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:11 PM   #19
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, since I ride helmetless also, I won't demand that.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 10:13 PM   #20
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 05:14 AM   #21
jacob.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
Yeah, I'm in Cleveland, in the West Park area. Chipcom is somewhere between Cleveland and Akron, if I remember correctly. The Rocky River Century Cycle is about 6 miles from me. It is the shop I go to the most.

I don't know if Century Cycle will have that pedal in stock, but they do have some platforms there and they aren't expensive. The extended catalogue's prices are not always the same as the real price. I think it has something to do with getting the info from QBP.

If you are going to special order the pedals and wait a week. I have some platforms that I am not using ( I only ride clipless). If you want them, they are yours.
Hey thanks. If you're offering, I'll gladly take them.
jacob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 06:43 AM   #22
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post

If you are going to special order the pedals and wait a week. I have some platforms that I am not using ( I only ride clipless). If you want them, they are yours.
I got lots of spare pedals lying around too...some platforms, maybe a couple with clips and straps, tons of SPD.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 06:44 AM   #23
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
Well, since I ride helmetless also, I won't demand that.
As another who doesn't often wear a helmet, I won't either. Sorry Siu, this ain't California.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 08:04 AM   #24
SweetLou
Senior Member
 
SweetLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob. View Post
Hey thanks. If you're offering, I'll gladly take them.
Sure, they are just sitting around the place collecting dust. Where do you live? When do you want to meet? Just PM me and let me know. I just got a new phone, so I don't know the number off hand. I left it on my bike, but if you PM me your number I can give you a call.
SweetLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 10:33 AM   #25
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
As another who doesn't often wear a helmet, I won't either. Sorry Siu, this ain't California.
It would be pretty off-topic to leap into a full-blown helmet "discussion", I suppose.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 AM.