Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Bikesdirect? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/422293-bikesdirect.html)

Markok765 05-25-08 07:10 PM

Bikesdirect?
 
I am thinking about buying a Kilo TT fixie from this online store.

How were the experiences with BikesDirect for you?

patentcad 05-25-08 07:33 PM

Oh boy.

Markok765 05-25-08 07:37 PM

I take it you guys don't like that site?

Indolent58 05-25-08 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759470)
I take it you guys don't like that site?

It's not that. Weirdly enough, no one here has managed to form any opinion on that topic.

Markok765 05-25-08 07:44 PM

Why the "oh boy" as there was gonna be a flame war starting?

patentcad 05-25-08 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759516)
Why the "oh boy" as there was gonna be a flame war starting?

Just be ready.

http://wardray-premise.com/images/pr...tinguisher.jpg

Indolent58 05-25-08 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759516)
Why the "oh boy" as there was gonna be a flame war starting?

Maybe not. The opposing forces have all been annihilated in extended bitter flame warfare. There is one one left.

Check out the Singlespeed & Fixed Gear subforum for everything you might want to know about the Kilo TT

Markok765 05-25-08 07:52 PM

Can someone tell me if the site is a scam?

patentcad 05-25-08 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759563)
Can someone tell me if the site is a scam?

Their site delivered this to me for $1900. Phenomenal bike, next closest thing I could find was $5,000+.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...iupgrdrear.jpg

3.2/2.5 butted titanium, approx. 20lbs, XTR, FSA carbon cranks, Avid Juicy Ultimate discs, Rock Shox SID Race. Couldn't be happier.

bmclaughlin807 05-25-08 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759563)
Can someone tell me if the site is a scam?

Everything I've ever heard indicates that they deliver reasonable bikes at a great price.

Just remember that you'll either have to finish assembling it and adjust it yourself, have a friend that can do it, or pay a bike shop.

I'll definitely be looking at them when I'm ready for a new bike.

Markok765 05-25-08 08:59 PM

I was just surprised that they would be selling a fixie for only $100 more than it would take to convert my MTB into fixie.

mrbubbles 05-25-08 09:19 PM

Why do you want a fixie?

Markok765 05-25-08 09:24 PM

Because I tried one and liked it. I also want to have a nice city bike to build up.

ShadowGray 05-25-08 09:27 PM

They're not a scam, just really shady and poor customer service. Prices are good though.

patentcad 05-25-08 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowGray (Post 6760034)
They're not a scam, just really shady and poor customer service. Prices are good though.

They weren't shady with me, they were transparent like a Pella Window.

http://www.rdbmagazine.com/images/ar...419_f10_11.jpg

And they responded to every email promptly. Zero point zero problems. I'd like to know exactly how the member above concluded they were 'shady'? Maybe he's a child molester himself, you never know. Oh, you don't like baseless Internet bull****? Now you know how Bikes Direct feels when they read posts like yours.

Jarery 05-25-08 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759470)
I take it you guys don't like that site?

Not at all. Personally i just find it amazing that someone with a blog and a youtube link in their sig would never think to use search on this site or google before starting a thread to ask for info.

ShadowGray 05-25-08 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 6760071)
They weren't shady with me, they were transparent like a Pella Window.

http://www.rdbmagazine.com/images/ar...419_f10_11.jpg

And they responded to every email promptly. Zero point zero problems. I'd like to know exactly how the member above concluded they were 'shady'? Maybe he's a child molester himself, you never know. Oh, you don't like baseless Internet bull****? Now you know how Bikes Direct feels when they read posts like yours.

Since when is claiming to be an old dead brand considered not being shady? And it doesn't matter if other companies do it too, it's still nonetheless shady. How hard can it be maintaining your old brand name?

Not to mention a terrible website.

mark9950 05-25-08 11:33 PM

Quote:

Their site delivered this to me for $1900.
What does that bike have over a wal-mart bike?I mean they both have uncomfortable seats.

ShadowGray 05-25-08 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark9950 (Post 6760548)
What does that bike have over a wal-mart bike?I mean they both have uncomfortable seats.

Parts that don't disintegrate?

Albeit it looks as if all BD bikes have terrible stock saddles. So it's probably best to factor in the cost of having to upgrade the saddle on all BD bikes.

urban_assault 05-26-08 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markok765 (Post 6759338)
I am thinking about buying a Kilo TT fixie from this online store.

How were the experiences with BikesDirect for you?

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=direct
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=direct
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=direct
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=direct


Just a few to get you started. Enjoy the reading.

Dr2006 05-26-08 05:17 PM

Read the above links to get more information regarding bikesdirect. The majority of people who purchase bikes from them seem happy with their bike. I plan to purchase our next bike, for my wife, from bikesdirect if the LBS is not cheap enough.

The confusing part about bikesdirect is that they operate under several purchased licensed names (motobecane, mercier, dawes, etc) and therefore these bikes do not come from the aforementioned respected companies. Is this a problem? No, but many people have a problem with it.

mark9950 05-26-08 06:59 PM

Quote:

Parts that don't disintegrate?
When does steel disintegrate.my Trek is disintegrating slowly,and its only 10 months old.

jgedwa 05-26-08 07:52 PM

They are not a scam. Generic bikes (with resurected brand names on them), decent components, cheap. If you can set it up yourself, they are a bargain.

p.s., what is the best thing to lube my chain with?

Markok765 05-26-08 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgedwa (Post 6764864)
They are not a scam. Generic bikes (with resurected brand names on them), decent components, cheap. If you can set it up yourself, they are a bargain.

p.s., what is the best thing to lube my chain with?

My friend uses Vaseline, or sexual lube on his BMX (no joke)

I use White Lightning wax lube on my MTB and Vaseline on my road bike.

dynodonn 05-26-08 08:10 PM

I have purchased two BD bikes so far, the first bike had a damaged front derailleur, which I replaced as a preplanned upgrade, and the second bike's front wheel arrived with a broken spoke. Both incidents were easy fixes for me, but a novice rider with little or no bicycle mechanical skills would have found the BD bicycle buying experience a little more frustrating to say the least.
BD's time frame for putting the bike together might be somewhat optomistic, but I cannot say for sure since I use my bikes extensively, I disassemble, inspect, and reassemble them to my specs which takes considerably more time.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 AM.