Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do not buy from Bikes Direct at the St. Johns town ctr. in Jacksonville, FL

    Purchased a higher end Mountain bike from them over Memorial day weekend. The front tire was low when the bike was picked up. Road it for the week and had to pump the tire up every other day. Took the tire in for repair the next Saturday and Craig the manager charged for a new stem because I mentioned that I took spill on the bike this was a thirty cents part. He made the comment that the tire valve was broken because of the wreck and charged me 5$. Do not buy from this shop they will treat you like dirt after you purchase the bike. Also just asking for basic information about bike adjustments (worked on bicycles for 30 years) the manager Craig was a complete ass about the process and it was like pulling teeth to get the information. Horrible attitude and just flat talked down to me the customer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    9,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjg1013 View Post
    Purchased a higher end Mountain bike from them over Memorial day weekend. The front tire was low when the bike was picked up. Road it for the week and had to pump the tire up every other day. Took the tire in for repair the next Saturday and Craig the manager charged for a new stem because I mentioned that I took spill on the bike this was a thirty cents part. He made the comment that the tire valve was broken because of the wreck and charged me 5$. Do not buy from this shop they will treat you like dirt after you purchase the bike. Also just asking for basic information about bike adjustments (worked on bicycles for 30 years) the manager Craig was a complete ass about the process and it was like pulling teeth to get the information. Horrible attitude and just flat talked down to me the customer.
    You worked on bikes for 30 years and took your bike to a shop to have a tube changed?

  3. #3
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    You worked on bikes for 30 years and took your bike to a shop to have a tube changed?
    Maybe he was testing them... :shrug:

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchased a higher end Mountain bike

    Higher end hard to say what higher end is. If you had spent two grand with me I would have thrown you a free tube. You would have to install it yourself. But who spends two grand and gets upset about a five dollar tube?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    9,975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Maybe he was testing them... :shrug:
    Testing for what? It's a tube, who has the time and want to piss around about a tube?

  6. #6
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,857
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Testing for what? It's a tube, who has the time and want to piss around about a tube?
    Not really about the tube, but about how the shop treats customers who don't know much about bikes.

    Then again, from the "other side of the counter", it's hard to be civil when somebody comes in with an attitude and/or is too dependent on "the hired help" to fix piddly little things like a low tire.

    I do agree, though, that whining about a $5 tube is pretty lame. I can't believe that I was so self-sufficient when I was less than ten years old and knew how to change a tube.

  7. #7
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjg1013 View Post
    Purchased a higher end Mountain bike from them over Memorial day weekend. The front tire was low when the bike was picked up. Road it for the week and had to pump the tire up every other day. Took the tire in for repair the next Saturday and Craig the manager charged for a new stem because I mentioned that I took spill on the bike this was a thirty cents part. He made the comment that the tire valve was broken because of the wreck and charged me 5$. Do not buy from this shop they will treat you like dirt after you purchase the bike. Also just asking for basic information about bike adjustments (worked on bicycles for 30 years) the manager Craig was a complete ass about the process and it was like pulling teeth to get the information. Horrible attitude and just flat talked down to me the customer.

    Much ta-do about nothing. More like a whining if ya ask me.

    Wonder how this poster will feel when this shop sues them for " defamation of character "
    and/or "slander"??
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I want to know is how in the world can a shop get away with selling $10.00 tubes, because it's thorn resistant, and then refuse to stock any cheaper alternatives.

    It is a shame that the only LBS that I can trust and joke around with is 30 miles away, but it's worth the price of a bus pass every time I want to go there. Though there is no way I'm going to spend $100 for an overnight tune up, no matter how much I like them.
    Last edited by gascostalot; 06-03-08 at 11:15 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •