Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2008 Cypress DX vs. Tran Send EX

    I'm definitely buying one of these two bikes, but I'm curious to know if anyone out there has an opinion between the two.

    I like the internal hub/chain guard, rack and fenders that already come with the Tran Send EX....plus it's purty

    However the Cypress DX looks like a pretty good bike as well, and it has 24 gears vs. 8, and even if I have to buy the rack and fenders separately there is still about a $200 difference in price...

    What gives? Why is the Tran Send so much more expensive??? Am I just being wood by the pretty, is there a significance difference between these bikes?

    I'm looking to commute to work (less than 5 miles) and probably do some weekend recreational riding

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Commie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX, old Haro(92)
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked out the Cypress at a shop here, it has the disc brakes correct? It was OK. Way to upright though, and has a funky top tube..seemed like a decent bike though. I have not seen the other one you mention.

    Have you checked out the Cannondale hybrids? or treks.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Cypress DX has disc brakes...so does the Tran Send EX. The LBS I'm working with (which my friend used to work at) does not carry the Cannondale. I didn't really look at the Trek's....my friend steered me to the Giants so I focused on those.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leslielicious View Post
    I like the internal hub/chain guard, rack and fenders that already come with the Tran Send EX....plus it's purty

    However the Cypress DX looks like a pretty good bike as well, and it has 24 gears vs. 8, and even if I have to buy the rack and fenders separately there is still about a $200 difference in price...
    Buy the bike that you want.

    Even if you install aftermarket fenders and rack on the DX it isn't likely to have that "factory" look. You'll have to kludge the fenders around the disc brake or the colors won't be quite right or the rack won't be quite level - something. In other words, it won't be as "purty".

    Never apologize for wanting "purty". A year from now you won't know what you did with the $200 price difference but you'll still have the bike. If you wish to yourself that you'd gotten the other bike every time that you ride, that's worth more than $200.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    central AZ Prescott Valley
    My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ridden them both? Pick the one that feels the best to you. Hub bikes cost more but can be a commuter's friend because they stay cleaner, especially in winter muck. I ride a Giant (Suede)with only 7 speeds but don't miss having 24 or whatever. My rides don't have many hills, mostly just wind! Gears help for windy days here. Pick the bike that rides the best and makes you happy.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    east coast :)
    My Bikes
    trek 4300 and a vintage panasonic roadbike
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see the specs side by side on the giant website.

    Isn't the Transend DX more comparable (both in price and specs) to the cypress dx?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Retro Grouch for helping to appease my consumerism ...I really do like the "look" of the TranSend EX which I know isn't the point to riding, but I'm thinking if all other things are fairly equal (comfort, weight, etc.) perhaps I'll be more apt to ride the prettier one....

    Thanks for the feedback

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastginger View Post
    You can see the specs side by side on the giant website.

    Isn't the Transend DX more comparable (both in price and specs) to the cypress dx?
    probably...but I was trying to compare the top end TranSend (EX) vs. top end Cypress (SX). Last year the Cypress line had an EX model, which was VERY similar to the now TranSend EX (with the internal hub/Chain guard, fenders and rack) but apprently that model is no more....

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie8 View Post
    Have you ridden them both? Pick the one that feels the best to you. Hub bikes cost more but can be a commuter's friend because they stay cleaner, especially in winter muck. I ride a Giant (Suede)with only 7 speeds but don't miss having 24 or whatever. My rides don't have many hills, mostly just wind! Gears help for windy days here. Pick the bike that rides the best and makes you happy.
    Thank you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •