Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Track Cog=Bike Porn
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    Singlespeed 70's Road, Singlespeed Trek Mtn, Trek 6800 Mtn.
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike stolen, how did they do it??

    So my friend woke up this morning to find his bike gone from his balcony, and these left behind:



    WTF? Assuming these scissors and pliers were used to cut the lock, how did they do it?
    Last edited by GeogScott; 09-23-08 at 04:42 PM.

  2. #2
    on your left.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    My Bikes
    Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB
    Posts
    1,802
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clamped the scissors down on the cable using the vise grips would be my guess. never overnight without a good U-lock and good cable/chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    I learned this the hard way. They say that experience is the best teacher, but I would have been preferred to just read about it on the internet.

  3. #3
    Track Cog=Bike Porn
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    Singlespeed 70's Road, Singlespeed Trek Mtn, Trek 6800 Mtn.
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was his theory... clamp the scissors and wind them around the cable for... a while.

  4. #4
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a nice vice grip. at least he got something in return.

  5. #5
    apocryphal sobriquet J.C. Koto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Star City, NE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"
    Posts
    902
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
    that's a nice vice grip. at least he got something in return.
    Yea, maybe he can use it to steal the bike back

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might have been quicker to run through the numbers on that lock and work out the combination. Give it a try sometime. It doesn't take very long.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  7. #7
    Go ahead...make my lunch. Psyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    RI
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Fuji DelRey
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeogScott View Post
    So my friend woke up this morning to find his bike gone from his balcony, and these left behind:



    WTF? Assuming these scissors and pliers were used to cut the lock, how did they do it?
    Vise grips also have a cutting jaw(located on the inside past the teeth)
    That's where the cable was cut...
    it had nothing to do w/the scissors. That's how he broke them.

  8. #8
    Golden Member JR97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Salt Lick City
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you run prints yet?

  9. #9
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,655
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I would think they used the scissors, broke them, then used the vise grip cutting edge. You can get some powerful leverage with those things.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  10. #10
    Prefers Aluminum Sprocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Honolulu
    My Bikes
    Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
    Posts
    2,671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    Might have been quicker to run through the numbers on that lock and work out the combination. Give it a try sometime. It doesn't take very long.
    4 digits. 10,000 possible combinations. If you assume that the their could take 1 try every second, and that the their would run through 1/2 the available numbers until they were successful, it would take 83 minutes. I'll bet it would be much faster to use the scissors and vise grip.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually he is right, those locks are easy to open. One does not have to try the numbers randomly. They make pretty distinctive cllicks....have found most locks like this do. If you do it a few times, you can open this lock in a few seconds. Try it. Just don't be fooled by the 0....it makes a unique sound when it falls into place. An old fashioned master lock with a dial is much harder to open.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Sport 2009, Giant Yukon FX3
    Posts
    1,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a lock a friend of mine has with a false combination. The lock actually opens with a key, and the combination is just there to distract the thief for a bit.

    Steve

  13. #13
    Golden Member JR97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Salt Lick City
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevage View Post
    Looks like a lock a friend of mine has with a false combination. The lock actually opens with a key, and the combination is just there to distract the thief for a bit.

    Steve
    Clever. Until the thing is cut with vice grips.

  14. #14
    Fax Transport Specialist black_box's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    chicago burbs
    My Bikes
    '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
    Posts
    849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what floor was the balcony on?

  15. #15
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan View Post
    that's a nice vice grip. at least he got something in return.
    Probably stolen too.

    Seriously, the tools probably have prints, the thieves probably have a record but sadly the police wont' bother to lift and run the prints .
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    Senior Member brokenknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MN
    My Bikes
    Trek 800
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyclist View Post
    Vise grips also have a cutting jaw(located on the inside past the teeth)
    That's where the cable was cut...
    it had nothing to do w/the scissors. That's how he broke them.
    Real "vise grips" have the cutter. That looks like a cheap locking pliers'. I don't see any evidence of the cutting jaw. Most cheap knock offs do not have that feature.

    I have to agree that they used the locking pliers on the scissor to cut the cable. Otherwise why would there be a broken scissor there?
    Clarity to Agreement (Dennis Prager)

    alot? a lot.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Speedball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    My Bikes
    Redline MonoNine
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wild guess here.....

    Scissors to cut the plastic coating then something to slowly grind and chew through the cable because it certainly isn't a clean cut.

    Now wouldn't that be a laugh if some dum dum thought they could cut clean through the cable w/ the scissors.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, i gotta ask this.

    As a thief, WTF would you pack a scissor and a vise grip to steal a bike...

    And on the other hand, if you were planning to steal the bike, wouldn't you pack something good??

    And, if it wasn't a planned theft, just a crime of opportunity, WTF would someone just be out and about, with a scissor and vise grips??



    I know, thieves aren't the brightest, but come on, a pair of bolt cutters would be a little smarter.....

  19. #19
    Senior Member brokenknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MN
    My Bikes
    Trek 800
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket Man View Post
    4 digits. 10,000 possible combinations. If you assume that the their could take 1 try every second, and that the their would run through 1/2 the available numbers until they were successful, it would take 83 minutes. I'll bet it would be much faster to use the scissors and vise grip.
    Someone at work found a cable bike combination lock that was locked. One of the guys ask to see it. He had it open within 2 minutes. He said it goes by feel.
    Clarity to Agreement (Dennis Prager)

    alot? a lot.

  20. #20
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Carbone View Post
    I know, thieves aren't the brightest, but come on, a pair of bolt cutters would be a little smarter.....
    Walking around with bolt cutters would be a little more obvious than, say, a little tool belt with scissors and vise grips.

    Too bad that it's a knockoff pair, too; the original Vise-Grip is closing its factory in Nebraska, and the company's owners are moving production overseas.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
    Someone at work found a cable bike combination lock that was locked. One of the guys ask to see it. He had it open within 2 minutes. He said it goes by feel.
    Don't know if this would work for the lock above, but here is a video on youtube showing an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvfj4D8yUXw

  22. #22
    F2F fish2find's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Huntington Beach Ca
    My Bikes
    Phat Tandem, other cruisers
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what floor was the balcony on?
    good call, if 1st floor over night several locks might not help.

    Check out:

    http://www.locksport.com/

    Locks are just new puzzles to some.

    Also, too late now. But a noise maker might help. My buddy used to have a bag of aluminum cans with fishing line through it, hed hoop the line around the pedal at night and if grabbed from the back yard it would make all kinds of noise. Well there was the dog factor too. LOL
    _BMan_

  23. #23
    CAT4 joe_5700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    My Bikes
    2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
    Real "vise grips" have the cutter. That looks like a cheap locking pliers'. I don't see any evidence of the cutting jaw. Most cheap knock offs do not have that feature.

    I have to agree that they used the locking pliers on the scissor to cut the cable. Otherwise why would there be a broken scissor there?
    Exactly. Those "vice grips" are Chinese knock offs. Why on Earth would a thief leave the implements of the theft behind?

  24. #24
    tilt head to right Alpha52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    on your left
    My Bikes
    Trek, Specialized, Atala, Kona
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Carbone View Post
    Ok, i gotta ask this.

    As a thief, WTF would you pack a scissor and a vise grip to steal a bike...

    And on the other hand, if you were planning to steal the bike, wouldn't you pack something good??

    And, if it wasn't a planned theft, just a crime of opportunity, WTF would someone just be out and about, with a scissor and vise grips??



    I know, thieves aren't the brightest, but come on, a pair of bolt cutters would be a little smarter.....
    +1. This is obviously a job done by a teenager who lives within spitting distance of you. Your bike is probably not more than 1000' from you as we speak, at least for a day or so until they can sell it.

    Register your stolen Serial # with the police and watch Craigslist and ebay and best of luck.

  25. #25
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,326
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that if the scissors were used to actually cut the cable, there'd be a significant amount of wear on them. Can't really tell from the photo though with the way the scissors are closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •