Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-08, 06:04 PM   #1
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to go pro.

Ever since the Olympics I've been really inspired to take up a sport. The Olympics really had a lasting impression on me. I've always regretted the fact that I've never really been bought up around sport. I'm only 17 so I don't think I've left it too late to get really good at something. I was thinking of taking up tennis but I'd have to learn that from scratch, and cycling comes more naturally because I have the physique for it already (solid legs, little upper-body). I'm not going to jump the gun and say that it'll be easy or anything but my plan is to train the rest of this year and next, then join a cycle club when I move to a different city to study, and then hopefully I'll be good enough to enter road races and hopefully do well before too long. I know that entering races and doing well is a good way to get exposure.

I guess I should say that right now my goal is to get good enough to do well in races, not necessarily to go pro. That would be further down the track. Like I said, not jumping the gun.

Last edited by Freakonwheels; 09-28-08 at 06:13 PM.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 07:06 PM   #2
ProFail
Generic Title
 
ProFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, you realize that going pro involves dedicating your whole life to cycling to become and also-ran who makes next to nothing, right?
__________________
Generic Joke
ProFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 07:15 PM   #3
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Well, don't get too ahead of yourself. But by all means take up cycling! It's fun, and even if you don't become a pro, there are many benefits that you'll enjoy.

But whatever you do, don't be discouraged if you're not as good as you'd like to be right away. Don't even think about races. Just ride, and get some good miles under your belt first (as in 1000+)
apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 07:56 PM   #4
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dont just try to increase your average speed, but try to achieve max power output for short intervals. You will need this for ctching breah-aways, or keeping up with the pack on the hills. Good luck.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 07:59 PM   #5
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,991
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Have you raced yet?
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 08:23 PM   #6
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Bikes: Lucinda--2010 Jamis Aurora Elite & a few others
Posts: 3,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Join a local club as soon as you can. There are likely other riders there who can help guide you in the right direction. They might even be able to get you the right connections to start you on your way.

Good luck.
MMACH 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 03:33 AM   #7
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
So, you realize that going pro involves dedicating your whole life to cycling to become and also-ran who makes next to nothing, right?
You sound like you speak from experience. Bah, don't hit me with all the heavy stuff just yet aye. I'll rephrase and say that my goal is to become a good quality cyclist and do well in races and stuff. I do really think I can do that. As for the dedication, I know that I'll have to be dedicated. That means regular training, which I can do. I've only just started training but my training throughout this past week has been valuable. This is all in another thread, but last Sunday I did a time trial (with a headwind) and got 45:33 minutes. After a week of training, aided by good conditions and recently pumped up tyres, I managed to improve by just over 5 minutes yesterday when I repeated it.

I bet a lot of people say the same thing I did I suppose...but I reckon I could actually follow through.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 05:48 AM   #8
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
+1 join a club. To find your nearest - http://www.bikenz.org.nz/Article.aspx?ID=746. A good one will have:

1. Regular rides
2. Training runs
3. Coaching
4. Races

Explore the above website (Bike New Zealand) for more info about coaching, racing, etc.

Good luck
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 09:40 AM   #9
Tapeworm21
Senior Member
 
Tapeworm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Berkeley
Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker
Posts: 2,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what keeps this sport alive. You'll see a bicycle race on tv, and INSTANTLY you're telling yourself, "dude, I can do that!"
Tapeworm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 11:20 AM   #10
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You do know there is a Road Racing forum right? It is a subforum of Road Cycling. Browse it for a while and you should gain a lot of useful information.

I have never raced, but from what I have read, you should probably get into a club, and racing sooner rather than later because getting used to riding in groups and races is almost as important as the conditioning in working yourself up through the ranks. Accelerating and slowing rather than constant high speed seems to be the norm. I get this just from the Road Cycling forum, I don't read the racing forum.

To race at the lowest level (Cat 5) requires little more than a legal bike and a few bucks for a license. I believe racing at the next level (Cat 4) requires nothing but completing a certain number of Cat 5 races.

So maybe you should start racing in the Spring, find others to hang out with to guide you through the process and be realistic about your initial expectations.

Good luck!
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 11:24 AM   #11
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,724
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
And start hanging out in Cougar hunting grounds. You're going to need sugar mama to support you.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 03:10 PM   #12
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
Well, don't get too ahead of yourself. But by all means take up cycling! It's fun, and even if you don't become a pro, there are many benefits that you'll enjoy.

But whatever you do, don't be discouraged if you're not as good as you'd like to be right away. Don't even think about races. Just ride, and get some good miles under your belt first (as in 1000+)
I forgot to just say - I should be able to do 1000+ no trouble before too long. The course I do throughout the week (at the moment I'm just repeating the same one), would be roughly 10 miles there and back, so I guess we're looking at about 2 years to do about that much.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 03:29 PM   #13
d2create
Senior Member
 
d2create's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston we have a problem
Bikes:
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakonwheels View Post
I forgot to just say - I should be able to do 1000+ no trouble before too long. The course I do throughout the week (at the moment I'm just repeating the same one), would be roughly 10 miles there and back, so I guess we're looking at about 2 years to do about that much.
Even recreational weekend riders do 3k miles per year.
d2create is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 03:35 PM   #14
MadeInItaly
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Point Lookout, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 1,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you are good enough to go pro, they find you...
MadeInItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 04:25 PM   #15
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2create View Post
Even recreational weekend riders do 3k miles per year.
Wait, hold on, I calculated it wrong. My first calculation of 1000 in 2 years is wrong cause that's only assuming I do it once a week. If my calculations are correct now, if I did the course, say, 5 times a week like I have been, that'd be 50 miles in a week. Multiply that by 52 weeks in a year, I believe that would be about 2600 miles, per year. I'd say it would be closer to 9 miles than 10 (it just falls a bit short I think) so it might be more like 2300-2400 miles per year.

That's better isn't it?

Last edited by Freakonwheels; 09-29-08 at 04:36 PM.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 04:57 PM   #16
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,724
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakonwheels View Post
Wait, hold on, I calculated it wrong. My first calculation of 1000 in 2 years is wrong cause that's only assuming I do it once a week. If my calculations are correct now, if I did the course, say, 5 times a week like I have been, that'd be 50 miles in a week. Multiply that by 52 weeks in a year, I believe that would be about 2600 miles, per year. I'd say it would be closer to 9 miles than 10 (it just falls a bit short I think) so it might be more like 2300-2400 miles per year.

That's better isn't it?
I'm a 41 year old on the verge of upgrading to Cat 3. I have 6700 miles or so in the last 12 month period. I'd ride more, but with little kids, house, job, social commitments, etc., it's kinda hard to get out as much as I'd like.

[just sayin' ]
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 05:23 PM   #17
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakonwheels View Post
Wait, hold on, I calculated it wrong. My first calculation of 1000 in 2 years is wrong cause that's only assuming I do it once a week. If my calculations are correct now, if I did the course, say, 5 times a week like I have been, that'd be 50 miles in a week. Multiply that by 52 weeks in a year, I believe that would be about 2600 miles, per year. I'd say it would be closer to 9 miles than 10 (it just falls a bit short I think) so it might be more like 2300-2400 miles per year.

That's better isn't it?
Yeah, it shouldn't take long to get to 1000 miles if you ride regularly. I'm no racer and I'm at about 1500 for the year so far. But if you're starting from scratch, I figure 1000 miles is enough to get the basic skills and feel for the bike down before you start really training.

Ultimately though, I just pulled that number out of my ass.
apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 05:23 PM   #18
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I'm a 41 year old on the verge of upgrading to Cat 3. I have 6700 miles or so in the last 12 month period. I'd ride more, but with little kids, house, job, social commitments, etc., it's kinda hard to get out as much as I'd like.

[just sayin' ]
That's still a good effort. I think I'll definitely have to review my course and stuff. Just remember I'm only at the beginning of my training and still figuring all this out.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 05:33 PM   #19
Rosso Corsa
Senoir Membre
 
Rosso Corsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Centurion Le Mans, Bianchi Sport, Trek 3500
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
[just sayin' ]
+1

If you want to race and do well you have to live on your bike. 30-60 miles per day would get you into cat 3 quick enough if they were focused enough.

You realize that the pros ride for at least 4 hours a day (roughly).

You can't win races overnight, but don't be discouraged. Just ride and learn as much as you possibly can through club rides, races and people.
Rosso Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 05:34 PM   #20
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
+1

If you want to race and do well you have to live on your bike. 30-60 miles per day would get you into cat 3 quick enough if they were focused enough.

You realize that the pros ride for at least 4 hours a day (roughly).

You can't win races overnight, but don't be discouraged. Just ride and learn as much as you possibly can through club rides, races and people.
But don't kill yourself doing 50 mile rides every day right away. Work up to it. Probably common sense, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 06:59 PM   #21
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'll finish out this year doing my initial distance of about 10 per day about 5 days a week, and then next year look to increase. I'll look at the next few months as just my initial "warm up" period. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 08:09 PM   #22
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,991
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakonwheels View Post
I think I'll finish out this year doing my initial distance of about 10 per day about 5 days a week, and then next year look to increase. I'll look at the next few months as just my initial "warm up" period. Thanks for the tips everyone.
That'll get you nowhere fast. If you're comfortable with 10 miles a day, you can start increasing your mileage. Pick 2 days a week, and increase your distance on those days to 12 miles until you're comfortable with that distance, then increase your distance to 15 miles a day and do that till it's fairly comfortable, then increase to 20 miles a day ... by Christmas you could be up to 50 or 60 miles a day on those 2 days a week.

Keep the remaining 3 days a week fairly low mileage (10-20 miles a day), but make one a really intense day.

If you can't do the distance, you can't do the race. If you want to race in a year's time, it would be a good idea to be comfortable with 100 miles a day.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 08:28 PM   #23
Freakonwheels
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Plymouth, New Zealand
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
That'll get you nowhere fast. If you're comfortable with 10 miles a day, you can start increasing your mileage. Pick 2 days a week, and increase your distance on those days to 12 miles until you're comfortable with that distance, then increase your distance to 15 miles a day and do that till it's fairly comfortable, then increase to 20 miles a day ... by Christmas you could be up to 50 or 60 miles a day on those 2 days a week.

Keep the remaining 3 days a week fairly low mileage (10-20 miles a day), but make one a really intense day.

If you can't do the distance, you can't do the race. If you want to race in a year's time, it would be a good idea to be comfortable with 100 miles a day.
Good idea. That's perfectly doable. I'll pick two days and try to do 20 on those days. I'm so comfortable with 10 that I think I could do 20 easy. I don't have a proper distance-measuring device but 10 miles takes me about 40-45 mins so if I rode for about double that time on the two days I picked that would be about the 20 miles...

Last edited by Freakonwheels; 09-29-08 at 08:38 PM.
Freakonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.