I am glad to have this Forum. My girlfriend (&likely myself) are looking into a bike that best combines the qualities listed at under $minus400-450 max. I just got her a new Tule bke rack for the roof w/ the bigmouth, locks, etc...Truthfully, $350 max would REALLY be the preference. : ) We plan to do some occasional heavy trails (20% apprx), light trails (30+%), & on road use the other half.
I have checked out some of the Specialized Rock Hopper Editions, going to check out the Giant Yukon SE, perhaps some of the Trek models, etc...
Someone mentioned Hybrids? I am not super familiar w/ all the models, what are they? I also heard some GT's were being blown out due to the Bancruptcy. One bike shop told me that I might be able to find $1000 bikes for under $500. I have not found that to be the case (sounds nice though!).
1. Good on & off road handling
2. Weight under 28 lbs (for ease of riding, & lifting on car roof)
3. Good quality f shock (not a Suntour)
4. Smooth shifting quality drivetrain (amount of speeds/gears not important) w/ good brakes
5. Quality wheels
6. A comfy seating position per frame & cranks (so can move quickly)
San Jose CA:confused: