Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-02, 10:43 AM   #1
Matadon
Mister Slick
Thread Starter
 
Matadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call for advocacy ideas!

This may belong in the "Advocacy" section, but I'm looking for ideas here. One of my bigger hobbies (obsessions?) is photography, and as I haven't managed to get out and shoot for awhile, I'd like to do a project. Since I really like cycling, what better for a project than cycling advocacy (and just a bunch of cycling-related photographic work in general)?

I'm looking for slogans and/or photo ideas; basically, things to do over the next six months or so. Equipment-wise, I can handle just about anything except free-aerial shots (sorry, no helicopter just yet), and I've got a few ideas for things I'll run by you:

1. There are a few "big" cycle rides, and a shot of the riders zooming along the bike trail next to the freeway with its stand-still traffic with the caption, "I don't cycle because it's too slow." (or something similar).

2. Parody of a Calvin Klein ad, with a man and a woman dressed in Lycra standing next to a bike with the overlay: "Velo: For a man, or a woman." Maybe another shot with a baby sitting in front of the bike in diapers with the caption "Not For Newborns Just Yet, Though."

I think that most of the advocacy needs to be focused on people in my age range; people in the 18-25 demographic, who are in college and don't have piles of money. Why? Because they're already looking for ways to conserve costs, and because they're still forming their self-image.

Ideas?
Matadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 11:35 AM   #2
ljbike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Bikes:
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you need to expand your age group to include the 12 to 85 age brackets. It's not a question of riding out of necessity to conserve dollars, it should be a necessity to conserve health and well-being.
I think it a wonderful idea. I'm eager to see what the other members will suggest.
__________________
ljbike
ljbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 12:17 PM   #3
aerobat
Love Me....Love My Bike!
 
aerobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Winnipeg
Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides
Posts: 1,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by ljbike
I think you need to expand your age group to include the 12 to 85 age brackets. It's not a question of riding out of necessity to conserve dollars, it should be a necessity to conserve health and well-being.
I think it a wonderful idea. I'm eager to see what the other members will suggest.
And also to show that not only can you prolong activities such as cycling to "older" ages, notice I didn't say "elderley"!, but such activities make it POSSIBLE to live longer.
__________________
"...perhaps the world needs a little more Canada" - Jean Chretian, 2003.
aerobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 01:27 PM   #4
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There seems to be a shortage of pics of normal (in all their variety) people on bikes.
Plenty of youths doing big air and knarly singletrack, loads of lithe, lycra-clad athlete pounding up a mountain, and some of freaky enviro freaks freakily demonstrating.
What about people in normal clothes cycling to work ,school shops, doing ordinary stuff on bikes. You could even show people in stylish clothes on stylish city bikes, like they ride in Paris.
I think an online library of everyday cycling pics might have a new market.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 01:55 PM   #5
chewa
The Flying Scot
 
chewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North Queensferry Scotland and London (and France)
Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more
Posts: 1,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember some suggested adverts to increase motorbike use a few years ago and they appealed to some baser instincts.

e.g On a billboard near a traffic slowspot one could have a sign saying " The guy on the bike which just passed you in traffic will be at the office before you, be more alert and less stressed"

Or: Did you know that regular exercise increases fitness and stamina? Ask a cyclist's partner.

You get the drift.?
__________________
plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
chewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 02:31 PM   #6
Matadon
Mister Slick
Thread Starter
 
Matadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by chewa
I remember some suggested adverts to increase motorbike use a few years ago and they appealed to some baser instincts.



e.g On a billboard near a traffic slowspot one could have a sign saying " The guy on the bike which just passed you in traffic will be at the office before you, be more alert and less stressed"



Or: Did you know that regular exercise increases fitness and stamina? Ask a cyclist's partner.



You get the drift.?
For number one, I can think of a few things. The caption "Dream: Driving through blissful mountain roads; Reality: Your $60,000 sports car sitting stuck in traffic, getting passed by a $400 bicycle that gets ridden through blissful mountain roads on weekends."

Number two: I like, and will use.
Matadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 02:50 PM   #7
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Posts: 16,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Whenever I see a television ad and there are cyclists somewhere in the picture (either the main characters or in the background) they are ALWAYS riding mountain bikes.
I have nothing against them, but not everyone rides a mountain bike -- like me for instance.
You might show road bikes, recumbents , hybrids, mountain bikes, tandems, young adults, older folks, groups, etc.
Just make sure there are no X-Mart bikes in your photos.

Just a thought.
__________________


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8

Last edited by RonH; 01-11-02 at 04:43 PM.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 03:07 PM   #8
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Matadon
1. There are a few "big" cycle rides, and a shot of the riders zooming along the bike trail next to the freeway with its stand-still traffic with the caption, "I don't cycle because it's too slow." (or something similar).
Please not that. That sort of thing is only going to make Joe Lard-butt actually believe that off-road cycle paths are useable, which is far from the truth.

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelW

What about people in normal clothes cycling to work ,school shops, doing ordinary stuff on bikes. You could even show people in stylish clothes on stylish city bikes, like they ride in Paris.
I think an online library of everyday cycling pics might have a new market.
Now this is a far better idea. Unfortunately, too many people emphasise only the "sport" of cycling, without realising that this is actually a viable transport alternative.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 03:20 PM   #9
Matadon
Mister Slick
Thread Starter
 
Matadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
Please not that. That sort of thing is only going to make Joe Lard-butt actually believe that off-road cycle paths are useable, which is far from the truth.

Good point; change the image to a cyclist zooming by the side of a road in a traffic jam, and it accomplishes the same thing.
Matadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 03:59 PM   #10
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 16,902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We need pictures of SDCBC president Jim Baross, who commutes by bike in downtown San Diego in street clothes, bypassing a traffic jam.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 04:36 PM   #11
Matadon
Mister Slick
Thread Starter
 
Matadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by John E
We need pictures of SDCBC president Jim Baross, who commutes by bike in downtown San Diego in street clothes, bypassing a traffic jam.
Hmmm...I'll be down in SD later this year, visiting a friend (and I'll be on my new road bike). Will have to contact the local bike club.
Matadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-02, 11:01 PM   #12
Generic Rider
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about a college age guy looking at his money situation, trying to scrape together some money to buy a used car. A friend had suggested a bike. The guy makes a list:

1 - get a bike for a few hundred, not thousands.
2 - besides purchase price, there's gas, insurance, maintainance, repairs, parking.
3 - bike for a few years and save money, to get a new(er) car.
4 - extras: easy on the environment, good for the body.

Also, I don't think bike paths are a bad idea. (The majority of my daily commute is on one. It's a pleasant ride along a scenic river) Many would-be riders are turned off by traffic.
Generic Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-02, 04:10 AM   #13
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Generic Rider
What about a college age guy looking at his money situation, trying to scrape together some money to buy a used car.
If the number of people cycling to my university was any indication, that would be a case of preaching to the converted. For some unknown reason, bikes already have the image of "the poor man's car". We need to change that, not reinforce it.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-02, 08:29 AM   #14
tourman
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ayr ontario canada
Bikes:
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with Chris there are a lot of bikes around the university here.We need to concentrate on the people who think of only jogging when they think of excercise.Maybe a progression of photos from lardbutt to slim trim dude, if you know someone who is about to embark on a serious weightloss program.Changing the style of riding as the lbs just melt off?
It works for all those bogus weightloss programs.
tourman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-02, 10:46 AM   #15
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For other ideas, you might check out

http://www.bicyclecolo.org/

which is a pretty effective advocacy organization. One of the current tasks is rumble strips. A bouncy bike taking on a rumble strip might make an effective pic??
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-02, 09:43 PM   #16
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci
 
LittleBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 8,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelW
There seems to be a shortage of pics of normal (in all their variety) people on bikes.
Plenty of youths doing big air and knarly singletrack, loads of lithe, lycra-clad athlete pounding up a mountain, and some of freaky enviro freaks freakily demonstrating.
What about people in normal clothes cycling to work ,school shops, doing ordinary stuff on bikes. You could even show people in stylish clothes on stylish city bikes, like they ride in Paris.
I think an online library of everyday cycling pics might have a new market.
Just the ticket, I think, Matty.

Keep up the powerful ideas...
__________________
No worries

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 01-12-02 at 09:48 PM.
LittleBigMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.