Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Scuffle at Cyclocross Nationals

    If anyone has read the story linked below I would be interested in their opinion. Personally I think it's disgusting. I guess at least Cale McAninch is taking some responsibility, but personally I think he should be man enough to step forward and take 100% responsibility.

    Nice how he says he has the "right" to say what he did. Just because we have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's the "right" thing tho do. Sounds to me like wanted to take attention away from Page and put it on himself. And this guy is no kid, I think he's in his mid 30's.

    You wonder why countries around the world dislike the US, it's people like this. What happen to the US being the place where people rise above a situation, take the high road, be the better person. All I read from him is excuses, he says he wishes he hadn't been there an heard the interview, how about learning to control your actions. He also says "I didn't punch him, I threw him", oh great, much better.

    Disgraceful in my opinion. Supposedly there's a video of this coming out, maybe it will show him in a better light, but from his own comments it doesn't sound that good to me.


    http://www.velonews.com/article/8608...ross-nationals

  2. #2
    motovation frankenmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dover, NH
    My Bikes
    rigid 29er moto, s-works stumpjumper fsr,black fixie,masi roadbike, ugly old hardrock commuter
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smashing a bunch of Richard Sachs bikes! Off with his head.

  3. #3
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,446
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a cyclocross forum?
    I'm afraid there might be a scuffle here on the general cycling forum. You know how those cyclocross folks are...................
    There weren't any NASCAR drivers at that event, were there?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotrek View Post
    You wonder why countries around the world dislike the US, it's people like this. What happen to the US being the place where people rise above a situation, take the high road, be the better person.
    There are scumbags the world over.

    Anyways, indeed what a shameful act.
    Last edited by croscoe; 12-19-08 at 08:32 PM.

  5. #5
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotrek View Post

    You wonder why countries around the world dislike the US, it's people like this. What happen to the US being the place where people rise above a situation, take the high road, be the better person. All I read from him is excuses, he says he wishes he hadn't been there an heard the interview, how about learning to control your actions. He also says "I didn't punch him, I threw him", oh great, much better.

    Disgraceful in my opinion. Supposedly there's a video of this coming out, maybe it will show him in a better light, but from his own comments it doesn't sound that good to me.


    http://www.velonews.com/article/8608...ross-nationals

    I agree with you that is disgraceful behavior but this kind of thing happens all over the world, not just in the U.S. Take a look at almost any soccer game. There have been people killed at some of these matches. I don't recall any violence at any U.S. professional sporting event that has resulted in death.

    Thank God for the U.S.A. I can't imagine what the world would be like today without her.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    . botto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    40,335
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotrek View Post
    If anyone has read the story linked below I would be interested in their opinion. Personally I think it's disgusting. I guess at least Cale McAninch is taking some responsibility, but personally I think he should be man enough to step forward and take 100% responsibility.

    Nice how he says he has the "right" to say what he did. Just because we have the right to do something, doesn't mean it's the "right" thing tho do. Sounds to me like wanted to take attention away from Page and put it on himself. And this guy is no kid, I think he's in his mid 30's.


    You wonder why countries around the world dislike the US, it's people like this. What happen to the US being the place where people rise above a situation, take the high road, be the better person. All I read from him is excuses, he says he wishes he hadn't been there an heard the interview, how about learning to control your actions. He also says "I didn't punch him, I threw him", oh great, much better.

    Disgraceful in my opinion. Supposedly there's a video of this coming out, maybe it will show him in a better light, but from his own comments it doesn't sound that good to me.


    http://www.vel onews.com/article/860...ross-nationals
    what an idiotic load of drivel.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    3,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An arsehole in a BIKE event? Say it isn't so!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, guess I took greater offense then I should have. By majority, no big deal here.

  9. #9
    Every day a winding road spinnaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora
    Posts
    4,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotrek View Post
    Hmm, guess I took greater offense then I should have. By majority, no big deal here.
    Yeah it is a big deal here. I'm sick of people dissing the United States. The people of the United States are the most generous people in the world. There are billions of dollars given to the rest of the world through tax dollars and personal contributions. The United Sates is always first on the scene in just about any disaster anywhere in the world.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree we are the most generous, I give annually to the Red Cross and many other charities, but for whatever reason those acts are not what is focused on in the media and the US is not well liked in many countries around the world, it's a fact, much of which could be explained by human nature, jealousy. We are the greatest country in the world, our government provides huge financial support around the world, more than all other countries combined. But because wars are now fought more in the media than with weapons I think all our actions should be above reproach when we visit other countries and have interactions with foreigners. My apologies to those who thought I am in any way putting down the US, I was just trying to state a fact that this kind of incident will go back to Europe and be reported, making all of us look bad for the actions of a few.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnaker View Post
    The people of the United States are the most generous people in the world.
    Not to minimize the good that we do but the people of the US are not the most generous people in the world. There are several countries who donate a greater percentage of their GNP to humanitarian aid than we do.

  12. #12
    I am Joe's lactic acid. Big M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Windsor Cyclo, and some spares.
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotrek View Post
    ...My apologies to those who thought I am in any way putting down the US, I was just trying to state a fact that this kind of incident will go back to Europe and be reported, making all of us look bad for the actions of a few.
    This American guilt really has to stop. You're making something of nothing. Of all the news that goes around the world about the US, a cyclocross event is not going to make the rest of the world hate us. C'mon.

    By the way...do you know how much nonsense goes on at sporting events in Europe? Fighting, rioting, attacks on home team players when the lose. Sometimes, if there's a black player in a predominantly white country, they'll chant racist remarks or hoot like monkies.

    Recently, a few players left the NBA to go play for a European basketball league. One of which was Josh Childress, a very good American player. He's coming back to the NBA next year because he's tired of being accosted and threatened in the streets after a loss.

    So, tell me, who's going to hate the US because of a little fight at a bike event?
    If there was a problem, yo, Ill solve it
    Check out the hook while my dj revolves it

  13. #13
    The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    7,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is showing my ignorance of cyclocross, but are the people involved in this fray cyclocross racers or fans?

    BTW - I don't think this is an issue of the USA other than in the mind of a few people making irrational comments and acting irrationally...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I stated previously, most of you have spoken and this is a none issue.

    It was one one US competitor in the event heckling a European competitor in the event who was being interviewed. By far US FANS are more well behaved than European or any other country I can think of, BY FAR.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big M View Post
    This American guilt really has to stop.
    QFT.

  16. #16
    Caustic Soccer Mom apclassic9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Millstone WV
    Posts
    1,759
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In any event, the guy who started the tussle should be banned from races for a year - isn't that in the rules somewhere? Or is that just reserved for actual racers during a race?
    As with mud, life, too, slides by.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •