Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-25-08, 04:36 PM   #1
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I need a source for Trek parts!

I have a 2007Trek EX9.5, and it sheared a bolt on the rear triangle pivot. The LBS doesn't stock parts and Trek doesn't stock the part. This happened over 2 months ago, and I'm starting to wonder if Trek just dosen't take customer service very seriously. I'm really disappointed at this stage. There's no explanation - they just don't have the part. One would think they would show a greater committment to a $5000+ product. Does anyone know of another source for this?

Help!!!
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 04:54 PM   #2
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I'm having a little difficulty understanding why you are having so much trouble finding a part. I can't help you bacause you have given only the sketchiest description of the bolt that you need.

If it was my bike the first thing that I would do would be to take the whole bike to the shop where I bought it.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 05:18 PM   #3
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd be back in the shop Friday morning and ask, very politely, for them to fix the defective bicycle they sold me for six grand and that I haven't been able to ride for two months. They'll say the bike is off warranty and it's not their problem. I'd go to Trek again, same deal, politely. If you still get no response (which I don't believe will be the case), I'd file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and with your local Chamber of Commerce, if they have a process for that. Your local newspaper, if it hasn't died yet, may have a consumer hotline or something similar, with an ombudsman or some other representative who handles stuff like that. If so, contact them, too.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 05:29 PM   #4
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this a special bolt? I would expect Trek to supply it if it is. but, if it's a standard metric bolt, there's little reason for them to do so since you could get a replacement at a local fastener supplier such as Fastenal. Maybe even a local hardware store or auto parts store would have it.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 05:49 PM   #5
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
I'd be back in the shop Friday morning and ask, very politely, for them to fix the defective bicycle they sold me for six grand and that I haven't been able to ride for two months. They'll say the bike is off warranty and it's not their problem. I'd go to Trek again, same deal, politely. If you still get no response (which I don't believe will be the case), I'd file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and with your local Chamber of Commerce, if they have a process for that. Your local newspaper, if it hasn't died yet, may have a consumer hotline or something similar, with an ombudsman or some other representative who handles stuff like that. If so, contact them, too.
Man! You're anticipating an awful lot of trouble that hasn't happened yet.

Sometimes it's easier said than done but I think that it's best not to get too worked up. People tend to reflect your own attitude back at you so if you come off aggressively, you're going to get an equally aggressive response back. As a general rule I've found bicycle companies to be much more liberal with warranty claims than the letter of the contract requires.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly broke on the OP's bike.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 05:51 PM   #6
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More info:

I purchased the bike on E-bay, so the local Trek shop (there's only one in the area) probably isn't too happy about that. However, I did spend approx $200 on bike stuff there, so they seem ok.

The bolt is a custom shoulder type bolt. It's aluminum, metric, and is essential in order to support the rear suspension. I'll try and post a pic later. The main thing is this is a special part. There are 4 of them on the articulating triangles. The other 2 points of the triangles connect to the shock. It seems that most bike shops don't try to stock this type of part but maybe some will - or maybe someone has a frame for parts or something...
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 06:02 PM   #7
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie View Post
I purchased the bike on E-bay, so the local Trek shop (there's only one in the area) probably isn't too happy about that. However, I did spend approx $200 on bike stuff there, so they seem ok.

The bolt is a custom shoulder type bolt. It's aluminum, metric, and is essential in order to support the rear suspension. I'll try and post a pic later. The main thing is this is a special part. There are 4 of them on the articulating triangles. The other 2 points of the triangles connect to the shock. It seems that most bike shops don't try to stock this type of part but maybe some will - or maybe someone has a frame for parts or something...
I'd think that's a part that will have to come from Trek. I suspect that a Trek Dealer will have a much easier time acquiring it through their inside rep than you will on your own.

I wouldn't worry too much because you didn't buy the bike from them. They'll still want to keep you as a customer. I wouldn't offer any information but, if they ask directly, I'd tell them the truth without apologizing.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 12-25-08 at 06:07 PM.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 06:07 PM   #8
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or, have a local machine shop make one for you....
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 06:33 PM   #9
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe the machine shop will be the answer. I wonder if they can cut an allen slot. The bolt head is recessed into the triangle so a hex type bolt won't work. I've been trying to import a pic, but don't know how (this is 1st post). I'll keep trying.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 07:16 PM   #10
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Get a photobucket.com account to import the any pictures to BF
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 07:25 PM   #11
bikinfool
I have senior moments...
 
bikinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, CA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I doubt it's a "special part", but might be a bit of work to find one. Extracting a bolt isn't rocket science either, the shop should at least be able to do that for you (or maybe a friend with more tools/experience than you), then you could compare/size the bolt to find bolts in the regular marketplace.
bikinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 08:04 PM   #12
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinfool View Post
I doubt it's a "special part", but might be a bit of work to find one. Extracting a bolt isn't rocket science either, the shop should at least be able to do that for you (or maybe a friend with more tools/experience than you), then you could compare/size the bolt to find bolts in the regular marketplace.
Well, I did manage to extract the remaining piece. The threads towards the end were flattened. The threads in the frame were bad and I obtained a tap to clean it up. Another Trek (bad)quality issue: I have more if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I can always remove one of the good bolts and measure it with a micrometer and dial indicator.
Maybe a google search will provide a source for replacement
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 11:25 PM   #13
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,531
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I've owned a couple Treks and never had a quality issue. Of course I never paid $5,000....
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 01:24 AM   #14
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trek definetly supports their full suspension frames with replacement bolts and bushings. What do you mean when you say 'trek doesn't stock the part?'

you need to find a trek dealer that is willing to work with you.

Last edited by Bekologist; 12-26-08 at 01:29 AM.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 03:08 AM   #15
bikinfool
I have senior moments...
 
bikinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, CA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 2,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roody View Post
I've owned a couple Treks and never had a quality issue. Of course I never paid $5,000....


This isn't new for Trek or Trek dealers. I won't buy another Trek ever. They screwed with me on my "lifetime" warranty on my 9800 OCLV that they had to replace with a Pro Issue OCLV and told me my "lifetime" warranty was no longer valid, after two glue/bonding failures (once in the bb shell, once at the rear dropout/seat stay which I was lucky not to have been injured for, on my OCLV frame(s). A friend of mine had several frame failures with early OCLVs and got treated like crap too, he won't buy another either. **** Trek.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 12-26-08 at 06:24 AM. Reason: fixed the spelling for ya
bikinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 03:27 AM   #16
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
www.boltdepot.com
www.mcmastercarr.com
www.grainger.com
www.smalllparts.com
www.fastenal.com
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 08:45 AM   #17
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will note (from my limited experience) that not all bike shops are created equal in their ability to obtain parts. Shop around.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 08:49 AM   #18
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinfool View Post
This isn't new for Trek or Trek dealers. I won't buy another Trek ever. They screwed with me on my "lifetime" warranty on my 9800 OCLV that they had to replace with a Pro Issue OCLV and told me my "lifetime" warranty was no longer valid, after two glue/bonding failures (once in the bb shell, once at the rear dropout/seat stay which I was lucky not to have been injured for, on my OCLV frame(s). A friend of mine had several frame failures with early OCLVs and got treated like crap too, he won't buy another either. **** Trek.
I'ts funny, Trek says they're the carbon pros. I took off on my new 9.5 and before completing one mile the seat had slipped down into the seat tube. So I tightened it down - same thing. So I tightened it down as tight as it would go. Same thing. Took it the the LBS (there's only one Trek shop in area). They said there's "nothing wrong with this bike". This is without even looking at it! Why I just needed a tighter seat clamp and some special sticky stuff to hold the seat post in there. I said would you think that .080" difference between post and tube is out of factory spec? So the owner called his Trek rep. Same thing - "there's nothing wrong with this bike". So with the tightist clamp press fit on and clamped all the way closed it holds - just. This frame should have been rejected at the factory. I'm just hoping the flex at the base of the clamping slot doesn't split or separate or something.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 08:52 AM   #19
CCrew
Older than dirt
 
CCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
I will note (from my limited experience) that not all bike shops are created equal in their ability to obtain parts. Shop around.
The "save a buck on eBay then whine because my LBS won't support it" complainers are consistent tho.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 09:12 AM   #20
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the input. Unfortunatly all that these vendors supply is "off the shelf" type hardware. Pretty much the same stuff you can find at a hardware store. This is a custom made part. Not only the head dimension but the shoulder length and diameter has to be exact. It doesn't have to be aluminum, but corrosion would be a problem with steel due to sweat. I suspect there is only one source, and that they have a minimum order, and Trek won't meet it probably because they don't use it on any other bike, and they don't anticipate any more demand for this item (mine sheared off probably due to the bad threads in frame necessitating overtorque on bolt in order to fully seat it on the pivot bearing. Also, the grade of aluminum is probably not what you you'd expect on a high end bike. Trek compromises their bike parts and their customer service.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 09:16 AM   #21
CCrew
Older than dirt
 
CCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know, you might get more help if it wasn't all Trek bashing and supplied more info. My experience with Trek has been outstanding.

Have you even bothered to call Trek Customer service yourself? Everything I see posted here says you expect the LBS who didn't make a penny off you to chase down and supply a bolt they may make a buck off of. If your attitude in person comes off the same as your attitude here, I wouldn't be trying to hard if it were me supplying it.

-R
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 09:22 AM   #22
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
The "save a buck on eBay then whine because my LBS won't support it" complainers are consistent tho.
Are you suggesting that anyone buying a used Trek should expect lousy service? Does this mean we also should never buy any brand used bike without expecting lousy service? What I'm suggesting here is that the LBS CAN'T support this bike...
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 10:12 AM   #23
johnnie
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
You know, you might get more help if it wasn't all Trek bashing and supplied more info. My experience with Trek has been outstanding.

Have you even bothered to call Trek Customer service yourself? Everything I see posted here says you expect the LBS who didn't make a penny off you to chase down and supply a bolt they may make a buck off of. If your attitude in person comes off the same as your attitude here, I wouldn't be trying to hard if it were me supplying it.

-R
Maybe you're right. Perhaps LBS hasen't lifted a finger to help me. Conserning my attitude: you are right. I'm getting a little bitter. Bear in mind though I haven't had my ride for nearly 3 months. That includes the best fall riding.

Just a footnote. I did stop by a couple Trek shops when in St Louis recently. They both said without even looking that they would not have this part. They said that it's not unusual to have this kind of "just made for one model bike just this year" sort of thing. Still, maybe someone knows of a larger Trek shop that maybe sold a lot of 2007 EX9.5's that might have a rear triangle pivot bolt.

BTW I will look up Treks main # and see what they have to say. It never occured to me to go straight to the manufacturer.
johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 10:33 AM   #24
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie View Post
Are you suggesting that anyone buying a used Trek should expect lousy service? Does this mean we also should never buy any brand used bike without expecting lousy service? What I'm suggesting here is that the LBS CAN'T support this bike...
I think he's suggesting that people who buy (expensive) bikes online ought to be prepared to be more self reliant and creative in solving problems than you are.

The fact that you are only just now (after 3 months) figuring out that you can call the Trek factory for help suggests that you might have been better off buying a bike from your local LBS. Buying expensive stuff online suggests that you've either already got access to a friendly and sympathetic local source of parts or that you're prepared to track down help when you need it.

A good basic skill, by the way, is learning to post photos of odd parts you're trying to find so that folks can hep you find it. That way, you can focus your efforts on "can you help me find this" vs. "I hate my local Trek dealer."

Last edited by BengeBoy; 12-26-08 at 10:43 AM.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 11:44 AM   #25
bkaapcke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
As a backup, start asking around among friends and co-workers to see if anybody knows a good machinist. You wouldn't believe how many problems can be solved when you are on friendly terms with a machinist. bk
bkaapcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 AM.