Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-04, 01:43 PM   #1
namatoki
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Total newbie to biking - where do I start

Hello all,

I just learned to ride a bike last weekend (I'm 29 years old almost 30 ) and I'm looking to buy my first bike this Friday. I've been doing some research and narrowed down my choices to:

Bianchi - Boardwalk
Cannondale - Adventure 400
Gary Fisher - Nirvana
Marin - San Anselmo
Specialized - Crossroads Elite, Expedition Elite
Trek - 7300

As you can guess, I'm looking for a hybrid bike since I would like to ride on both road and dirt paths. But I have no idea what components to look for or even what some of then are. Any good sites for beginners to read up on terms and such? Also, what's the difference between 700cm and 26 inch tires? Which of the bikes I listed would you look at first?

Thanks!
namatoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 02:06 PM   #2
bg4533
Senior Member
 
bg4533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OH
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would suggest you consider a mountain bike with slicks (like the hybrids have) rather than the hybrids. It will be significantly better offroad than the hybrid and depending on what you are looking for may be better on the road as well. The only real advantage to a hybrid is the very upright position and that is only if you want that position. Personally I find the mountain bike position to be much more comfortable.

700mm wheels are the traditional road bike size wheels and 26" are mountain bike wheels. If you want to go off road you should probably look at bikes with 26" wheels.

If you haven't already, check out Sheldon Browns website . It has more bike info than you may want to know.
bg4533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 02:19 PM   #3
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namatoki
Hello all,

I just learned to ride a bike last weekend (I'm 29 years old almost 30 ) and I'm looking to buy my first bike this Friday. I've been doing some research and narrowed down my choices to:

Bianchi - Boardwalk
Cannondale - Adventure 400
Gary Fisher - Nirvana
Marin - San Anselmo
Specialized - Crossroads Elite, Expedition Elite
Trek - 7300

As you can guess, I'm looking for a hybrid bike since I would like to ride on both road and dirt paths. But I have no idea what components to look for or even what some of then are. Any good sites for beginners to read up on terms and such? Also, what's the difference between 700cm and 26 inch tires? Which of the bikes I listed would you look at first?

Thanks!
With all do respect I have to ask.... How did you get clear to 30 years old without learning to ride a bike? Not trying to be disrespectful, it is just that bike riding is so normalized in children is this Country that it is rare to meet someone that never learned.

Interested in your response. Meanwhile, congrats on learning how to ride. I am not much of a hybrid fan. I would recommend going with a full fledged Mountain bike. I have test ridden hybrids and I own 2 Mountain bikes. I wouldn't want to ride those hybrids on anything but pavement and even then don't think i would like them much. I think they are made for people that want a VERY low paced, laid back ride.
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 02:31 PM   #4
namatoki
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
With all do respect I have to ask.... How did you get clear to 30 years old without learning to ride a bike? Not trying to be disrespectful, it is just that bike riding is so normalized in children is this Country that it is rare to meet someone that never learned.

Interested in your response. Meanwhile, congrats on learning how to ride. I am not much of a hybrid fan. I would recommend going with a full fledged Mountain bike. I have test ridden hybrids and I own 2 Mountain bikes. I wouldn't want to ride those hybrids on anything but pavement and even then don't think i would like them much. I think they are made for people that want a VERY low paced, laid back ride.
Heh, well, growing up we lived pretty far out in the suburbs, so getting around was done by car. My parents were both working so they never had time to teach me either. So, now that I'm going back to college, I wanted to be able to bike to classes instead of driving. Pretty much that's it.

Thanks for the insight into the hybrids. I looked at some mountain bikes and they seem to be a bit more expensive. How much should I expect to spend for a decent bike? I saw the Cannondale F400 listed at $699. I hope they don't get too much more expensive.
namatoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 02:43 PM   #5
bg4533
Senior Member
 
bg4533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OH
Bikes:
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namatoki
Heh, well, growing up we lived pretty far out in the suburbs, so getting around was done by car. My parents were both working so they never had time to teach me either. So, now that I'm going back to college, I wanted to be able to bike to classes instead of driving. Pretty much that's it.

Thanks for the insight into the hybrids. I looked at some mountain bikes and they seem to be a bit more expensive. How much should I expect to spend for a decent bike? I saw the Cannondale F400 listed at $699. I hope they don't get too much more expensive.
Since you are a beginner and haven't ridden that much I wouldnt spend a great deal on a bike. If you are considering mountain bikes I would look at the Specialized Hardrocks and and the Trek 4300 and 4500. Those bikes should be $330-$400 or so and there isnt much need for a better mountain bike unless you are doing some serious trails. Then take a bit of the extra money and buy a nicer saddle, better tires, etc.
bg4533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 03:58 PM   #6
hillyman
520 CLUB
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think as a beginner a hybrid is the best choice. New riders may find the bent-over position uncomfortable on the back muscles. Hybrids usually have eyelets for mounting racks which you might want to add later. I would ask the LBS whats the best components for your needs. Its hard to say with kind of riding you might want to do later,road or mountain,so a hybrid is great until you know for sure.
hillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 04:26 PM   #7
namatoki
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
I think as a beginner a hybrid is the best choice. New riders may find the bent-over position uncomfortable on the back muscles. Hybrids usually have eyelets for mounting racks which you might want to add later. I would ask the LBS whats the best components for your needs. Its hard to say with kind of riding you might want to do later,road or mountain,so a hybrid is great until you know for sure.
Sorry for the newbie question, but what's LBS? Thanks.
namatoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 04:32 PM   #8
hillyman
520 CLUB
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
local bike shop
hillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 10:48 PM   #9
pyze-guy
Yup
 
pyze-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins
Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTON
i'd go with a mountain or road. if you KNOW you will not do mountain go with the road... a mountain bike can be decent on the road... and i like this thing http://www.titusti.com/quasimoto.html

if you want to waste the money. otherwise just get http://www.khsbicycles.com/04alite300.html

or http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...tqgu6bd.j27001
He said he has never been on a bike before. Recommending a DOWNHILL bike is not really a productive reply.

Go to several bike shops, discuss the style of riding you plan on doing and decide after getting numerous opinions. Personally I don't like hybreds. MtB are my preference for commuting and trails. Good luck.
__________________
When sadness fills my days
It's time to turn away
And then tomorrow's dreams
Become reality to me
pyze-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-04, 11:40 PM   #10
halfspeed
Senior Member
 
halfspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE Minnesota
Bikes: are better than yours.
Posts: 12,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namatoki
Hello all,

I just learned to ride a bike last weekend (I'm 29 years old almost 30 ) and I'm looking to buy my first bike this Friday. I've been doing some research and narrowed down my choices to:

Bianchi - Boardwalk
Cannondale - Adventure 400
Gary Fisher - Nirvana
Marin - San Anselmo
Specialized - Crossroads Elite, Expedition Elite
Trek - 7300

As you can guess, I'm looking for a hybrid bike since I would like to ride on both road and dirt paths. But I have no idea what components to look for or even what some of then are. Any good sites for beginners to read up on terms and such? Also, what's the difference between 700cm and 26 inch tires? Which of the bikes I listed would you look at first?

Thanks!
The good news is that you won't get a bad bike in any of them. Rather than dump the hybrid idea for a mountain bike or a road bike, figure out what kind of riding you plan to do. Commuting to work? Country roads? Off-road? Pavement only? Recreation and fitness?

If you think you want to do some off-road, you really =should= go with a mountain bike. If not, there's no reason for that.

The bikes you've selected have some strong differences in design even though they are all "hybrids".

If you're not going off-road, I'd suggest scrapping the suspension fork. There's very little benefit and it's additional maintenance and cost. I'm a big fan of Bianchi's Boardwalk. Quick ride without extraneous suspension. It's a great commuter. I've seen the Marins and they are the most sexy hybrid and comfort style bikes out there. If you step down to the Fairfax, you lose the fork and save some money. In the Trek, I'd go with the 7300FX model instead of the 7300. Again, save some money on suspension. The Specialized are comfort bikes which are kind of clunky and slower. I don't know anything about the 'dale or the Fisher.
halfspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 11:40 AM   #11
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For a general purpose bike, used for riding around town, bike trails and some light off-road, then there are quite a few styles which do the job.
Hybrid
MTB
touring
cyclo-cross
flat-bar road bike
All of these styles of bike can take good medium-width tyres, and tyre choice is often the biggest factor in performance. They all have a wide range of useful gears.
Make sure you have threaded eyelets on the frame for a luggage rack, this males the bike a whole lot more useful
The more extreme styles of bike, such as road racinga and full suspension MTB are really special purpose bikes. You can use them for more general riding, but they have limitations.
Personally I dont think suspension is required on general purpose bikes.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 12:10 PM   #12
trekkie820
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600, 1980's Univega Supra Sport, 2006 Lemond Reno
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namatoki
Heh, well, growing up we lived pretty far out in the suburbs, so getting around was done by car. My parents were both working so they never had time to teach me either. So, now that I'm going back to college, I wanted to be able to bike to classes instead of driving. Pretty much that's it.

Thanks for the insight into the hybrids. I looked at some mountain bikes and they seem to be a bit more expensive. How much should I expect to spend for a decent bike? I saw the Cannondale F400 listed at $699. I hope they don't get too much more expensive.
They can get MUCH, MUCH more expensive. Trek Fuel 100= $5,000
trekkie820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-04, 01:05 PM   #13
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by namatoki
Hello all,

I just learned to ride a bike last weekend (I'm 29 years old almost 30 ) and I'm looking to buy my first bike this Friday. I've been doing some research and narrowed down my choices to:

Bianchi - Boardwalk
Cannondale - Adventure 400
Gary Fisher - Nirvana
Marin - San Anselmo
Specialized - Crossroads Elite, Expedition Elite
Trek - 7300
Thanks!
The Boardwalk is fine but the Bergamo is better in my opinion. The Bergamo may cost more but has fenders and the rear rack. This bike is more like an upscale town bike.

The Cannondale is more like Comfort bike instead of a hybrid so I would pass this one by. The Gary Fisher is more like a Street bike which is a positive note. I would forget the Crossroads and focus on the Sirrus which are street bikes.

The reason I prefer the Street bike is that you will reach the limit on a hybrid/comfort bike real soon once your body gets in condition. Here's my choice

1. Bergamo - All around hybrid. It's not a street bike but it's complete
2. Sirus/Gary Fisher - Good street bike. Much better than the Crossroads or the Cannondale.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 PM.