Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Question for bib short enthusiasts (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/50363-question-bib-short-enthusiasts.html)

friedman 04-21-04 01:52 PM

Question for bib short enthusiasts
 
Just wondering...of those of you who wear bib shorts, what is the prevailing wisdom about wearing a riding jersey over vs under the bibs? Over makes it easy to reach your back pockets, under lets one get to other areas easier. Any thoughts?

Random 04-21-04 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedman
Just wondering...of those of you who wear bib shorts, what is the prevailing wisdom about wearing a riding jersey over vs under the bibs? Over makes it easy to reach your back pockets, under lets one get to other areas easier. Any thoughts?

For what its worth, I've never seen anybody wear a jersey under their bibs.

lotek 04-21-04 02:19 PM

Jersey over the bibs, always.
Makes nature breaks interesting though.

Marty

Stubacca 04-21-04 02:57 PM

Always jersey over the bibs.

If you wear a wicking under-layer, this can go under the bib straps.

SipperPhoto 04-21-04 05:54 PM

underlayer under the suspenders, jersey over the bib suspenders...

Going #1-- isn;t too bad.. just lift the leg up
Going #2-- not that much fun, basically have to take everything off... just hope you don;t get Montezuma's revenge... you might not make it

jeff

sorebutt 04-21-04 06:11 PM

I wear my jersey over the bib. If I had to take a leak, I couldn't roll the leg up, cause it was too tight, and taking off the jersey was a pain cause I had to empty the back pockets (phone, gu packs, money, ID, etc).
My wife had shown me a way to get my shoulder straps of the bib through the sleeves of the jersey, as women know how to remove a bra with the the shirt on.. :)

Allister 04-21-04 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedman
Over makes it easy to reach your back pockets, under lets one get to other areas easier.

Which do you need to access the most often?

friedman 04-21-04 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allister
Which do you need to access the most often?

Personally I access the rear jersey pocket more, so I ride with the jersey over the bib.

But a friend I ride with on occasion rides with jersey under, and it just started me wondering if anyone else does the jersey under.

RacerX 04-21-04 08:23 PM

Wearing bib straps over your jersey is about the dorkiest thing I have seen. I don't understand why people do it.

cottonmather0 04-22-04 02:26 PM

I have found Underarmor "Heat Gear" to be a great choice to wear as a layer underneath my bibs. The fabric wicks away sweat and makes long rides more comfortable, even in hot weather.

But I have never seen anyone wear their bibs over a jersey. That's funny.

khuon 04-22-04 02:39 PM

I too have seen people wear their bibs over their jersey. I too don't understand the reasoning behind it. I have also seen people tuck their jersey into regular riding shorts as well. I'm not a slave to fashion but the dorkness factour in both practices well overfloweth my cup. I mean, we already look fairly dorky just being in cycling gear. The only thing worse I've seen was in the movie Big Trouble in Little China when Kurt Russell was walking around with his shirt poking out his unzipped fly.

creep dog 04-22-04 03:05 PM

Jersey over always. sometimes the suspenders rub my nipples raw on long rides though. yeoowwww! sorry if I'm sharing too much.

friedman 04-22-04 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creep dog
Jersey over always. sometimes the suspenders rub my nipples raw on long rides though. yeoowwww! sorry if I'm sharing too much.

Ah..interesting you should mention that. I have the same problem on longer rides, but just with the jersey itself. Once it got so bad they were bleeding! Scared me when I read Lance's book and he described that as one of the symptoms he noticed before he was diagnosed with cancer.

But since I still seem to be here and riding I don't worry too much.

Now I put band-aids on. Sort of like pasties. Hope nobody ever sees me with them on!

Hants Commuter 04-23-04 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedman
Ah..interesting you should mention that. I have the same problem on longer rides, but just with the jersey itself. Once it got so bad they were bleeding! Scared me when I read Lance's book and he described that as one of the symptoms he noticed before he was diagnosed with cancer.

But since I still seem to be here and riding I don't worry too much.

Now I put band-aids on. Sort of like pasties. Hope nobody ever sees me with them on!

Common problem in runners couple of solutions

1) Put a plaster over the nipples

or

2) Smear some vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) over them

shokhead 04-23-04 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khuon
I too have seen people wear their bibs over their jersey. I too don't understand the reasoning behind it. I have also seen people tuck their jersey into regular riding shorts as well. I'm not a slave to fashion but the dorkness factour in both practices well overfloweth my cup. I mean, we already look fairly dorky just being in cycling gear. The only thing worse I've seen was in the movie Big Trouble in Little China when Kurt Russell was walking around with his shirt poking out his unzipped fly.

So when you see this you let them know what is right?

khuon 04-23-04 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
So when you see this you let them know what is right?

Nope... but I do mentally file the image away as a source of amusement.

shokhead 04-23-04 10:57 AM

Thats what i figured.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 PM.