Originally posted by ViciousCycle
...they spent about an hour trying to bust the New York lock
Kryptonite makes the New York Lock. That's why I carry the next best Kryptonite lock: the Evolution 2000. I believe in deterrence.
That said, the best deterrence is strategy. Combine as many deterrents as you can, for example:
1) Reduce the time a bike is available for theft.
2) Don't park your bike predictably in the same spot everyday.
2) Increase the number of eyewitnesses of potential theft.
3) Combine different locks (cable and U-lock.)
4) Disguise your bike, or ride a beater.
5) Know the neighborhood.
6) Perhaps the most effective deterrent is four walls (I park inside.)
7) Use your bike as a chair while you work (you may not be able to do this unless your boss really loves you.)
8) Disguise you bike as a car and pay $5.00 to park it.