Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Ovdabak, OR DArthurBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2007 Trek 4300, ~1980 Takara Deluxe 12, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Credit Card Number Stolen...at an online Bike Store?

    I'm not sure the appropriate place to post this thread. Apologies.

    A month ago, my credit card number was stolen and used to make several online purchases (eHarmony, sports channels, adult websites, etc.). My brother's credit card was stolen a month earlier and used to make similar purchases. In both cases, the purchases were made from states we haven't been to in years.

    Neither of us use our credit cards for much at all--usually only bike purchases and the like.

    Cross-checking our statements, I realized the only online purchase I'd made in the past 6 months was from Niagara Cycle Works. I made a purchase there a month before my number was stolen. My brother had also purchased from them a month before his card number was stolen.

    Has anyone else had trouble with this lately?

  2. #2
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahahahaha!! Have we ever! Start here:

    Identity Theft and Nasbar?
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DArthurBrown View Post
    ... A month ago, my credit card number was stolen and used to make several online purchases (eHarmony, sports channels, adult websites, etc.). My brother's credit card was stolen a month earlier and used to make similar purchases. In both cases, the purchases were made from states we haven't been to in years.

    Neither of us use our credit cards for much at all--usually only bike purchases and the like.

    Cross-checking our statements, I realized the only online purchase I'd made in the past 6 months was from Niagara Cycle Works. I made a purchase there a month before my number was stolen. My brother had also purchased from them a month before his card number was stolen. ...
    It's nothing centered on bicycle companies.
    Online hackers beak into online credit-card processing services over the internet and steal credit card numbers, sometimes literally millions at a time.

    I order a lot of stuff online often, and haven't had my number stolen in several years--but I always use virtual numbers, and never give out the actual credit-card number to anyone online. If your credit-card offers virtual/one-use numbers, that cuts down a lot on the problem.
    ~

  4. #4
    pedaler baldsue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    2009 Marin Point Reyes, 2007 Marin Larkspur, 2009 Novara Carema, Moto Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Yellow Schwinn Madison
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DArthurBrown View Post
    I'm not sure the appropriate place to post this thread. Apologies.

    A month ago, my credit card number was stolen and used to make several online purchases (eHarmony, sports channels, adult websites, etc.). My brother's credit card was stolen a month earlier and used to make similar purchases. In both cases, the purchases were made from states we haven't been to in years.

    Neither of us use our credit cards for much at all--usually only bike purchases and the like.

    Cross-checking our statements, I realized the only online purchase I'd made in the past 6 months was from Niagara Cycle Works. I made a purchase there a month before my number was stolen. My brother had also purchased from them a month before his card number was stolen.

    Has anyone else had trouble with this lately?
    I've had 2 credit cards breached in the last 2 months. When I compared statements, the only two shops in common were Niagara and Nashbar. I won't do business with either any more. Most people here have said Nashbar is the culprit but now that you've posted, I'm wondering if maybe Niagara is also compromised.

    What kind of fraud?

    My first card was breached with Amazon downloads, the second card was charged for jewelry, itunes and google-"how to make money on the internet".

    Any of this sound familiar?

  5. #5
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few statements that indicate the victim had only used their card with Nashbar. And the anger was palpable when it was discovered that Nashbar was well aware of the breach - but didn't warn their customers. They have now admitted this was occurring, but swore they'd plugged the hole. So it now appears Niagara was using a credit-card processor that was also breached. Interesting.

    According to an article I came across, literally millions of cards, with personal information attached, were compromised since January. You can bet the Feds are looking for anyone involved or anyone with information. Be sure to contact/stay in contact with the fraud people at your bank(s).

    I was ripped-off too. But my bank ripped up the bills and refunded my money. I had a new card in 2 days.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ratfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mle Island
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received two replacements for cards that were compromised. I caught them pretty early. I just received some weird white tea pills in the mail that I think was the result of one of the scams.

  7. #7
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,608
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a PayPal account, you can use it to generate single-use credit card numbers to use on-line:

    https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/ma...rInstance=9003

  8. #8
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PayPal won't do that for me as I don't have my PayPal linked directly to my bank-account (checking). My bank won't allow it. And neither will I. Too many stories of people being accused by who-knows-who of not paying for something - and PayPal seizing their entire balance in the bank-account.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  9. #9
    Ovdabak, OR DArthurBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2007 Trek 4300, ~1980 Takara Deluxe 12, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baldsue View Post
    I've had 2 credit cards breached in the last 2 months. When I compared statements, the only two shops in common were Niagara and Nashbar. I won't do business with either any more. Most people here have said Nashbar is the culprit but now that you've posted, I'm wondering if maybe Niagara is also compromised.

    What kind of fraud?

    My first card was breached with Amazon downloads, the second card was charged for jewelry, itunes and google-"how to make money on the internet".

    Any of this sound familiar?
    This is almost exactly what my brother had when is number was stolen. My case was nastier. I got charged for a $120 eHarmony subscription, adult websites, a spanish porn channel, a TV sports channel subscription, and had several other charges that were declined after my bank smelled something fishy. So...the jerk that stole my number is lonely, a sports fan, and may speak spanish.

    As I said before, the only online purchase I have made with that card in the past 6 months was to Niagara Cycle Works. I won't go there again.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee
    My Bikes
    Fred cycles
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too now. Cosmetics from Florida, something from Spain, then Itunes etc. Caught it w/in a week when I went online to check the account. Have ordered from Nashbar and Niagara in the past. Hard to conclude anything about that tho -- our group is self-selected bike nuts & not a random sample -- Or does somebody have specific knowledge that Nashbar and/or Niagara have been compromised. EDIT - nevermind, I see the note above about Nashbar having been breached.
    Last edited by duffer1960; 04-23-09 at 04:01 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ErnieAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a purchase from Nashbar on 03-24-09. Today (04/27), Chase Bank called with suspected fradulent charges for iTunes, cosmetics, and teeth whitening. I cannot prove the leak is Nashbar, but I don't do a lot of charging at different places. Most of my charges are long-term relationships. I occasionally order from Nashbar. I won't order from Nashbar anymore, not worth the trouble of having to get new credit cards and fixing all of my autopayment set-ups. Live and learn. I only read about the Nashbar suspected problem after I made my last order.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah. It is soooo Nashbar. They allow third party solicitations on their https sites. If they allow that, any kid with a computer science degree can hack into their site.

    I cancelled my old card a month ago. Got a new card and used it for the FIRST and ONLY time at Nashbar.com.

    Two days later, fraudulent charges. Understand this is a brand new credit card number I had used only at Nashbar. I called Nashbar to notify them. I explained there was no other way anyone could have gotten the information. The card has been with me every second since I got it. They blew me off. So I got pissed.

    I immediately cancelled my order ($225 order)--it hadn't shipped yet because Nashbar has become painfully slow as well--Nashbar pitched a fit and said they would call my credit union and demand payment. I called my credit union, explained I didn't feel comfortable dealing with a company that knowingly allowed failures in transaction security, and they agreed. Nashbar didn't get a penny, and I'll never give them another.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll also add that I have found both JensonUSA and Universal Cycles to have far better customer service, better prices on mid-range components, and much much faster shipping. I deal with them from now on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •