Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-09, 01:28 AM   #1
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.
Thread Starter
 
Exit.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rapha gear...

Has anyone actually bought any of their stuff? Is it as nice as it looks in pictures? Is it as nice as the price would indicate?
Exit. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 03:08 AM   #2
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit. View Post
Has anyone actually bought any of their stuff? Is it as nice as it looks in pictures? Is it as nice as the price would indicate?
All depends on what you consider "nice". The price is not nice by any standards. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/fa...bicycle&st=cse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ralpha.jpg (76.8 KB, 23 views)
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 03:46 AM   #3
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.
Thread Starter
 
Exit.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
All depends on what you consider "nice". The price is not nice by any standards. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/fa...bicycle&st=cse
Yeah, I've been on the website, and gasped at the prices...but everything they make looks sooooo nice. I'm wondering if any BFers have actually had first-hand experience with any of the stuff.
Exit. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 06:43 AM   #4
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think the consensus in the Road bike forum is if you are going to plunk down serious coin, plunk it down on assos instead of Rapha.

The only thing I could possible justify the price of on Raphas lineup are the bibs. Having a great pair of bibs is almost priceless.

And Assos makes better bibs.
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 07:28 AM   #5
envane
Senior Member
 
envane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wait for the Nashbar knockoffs.
envane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-09, 08:27 AM   #6
CastIron
Sensible shoes.
 
CastIron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Paul,MN
Bikes: A few.
Posts: 8,799
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have the money to burn...
__________________
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
It looks silly when you have quotes from other forum members in your signature. Nobody on this forum is that funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 04:49 AM   #7
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.
Thread Starter
 
Exit.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Law View Post
I think the consensus in the Road bike forum is if you are going to plunk down serious coin, plunk it down on assos instead of Rapha.

The only thing I could possible justify the price of on Raphas lineup are the bibs. Having a great pair of bibs is almost priceless.

And Assos makes better bibs.
Assos stuff may be well made and well engineered and whatnot...but most of it is hideous. The only reason Rapha can justify their prices is because a lot of their stuff is a pretty unique crossover between cyclewear and streetwear. Assos doesn't make anything any normal person would feel comfortable wearing off the bike.

As a side point, Assos' website makes me want to punch things.
Exit. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 09:52 AM   #8
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Law View Post
I think the consensus in the Road bike forum is if you are going to plunk down serious coin, plunk it down on assos instead of Rapha.

The only thing I could possible justify the price of on Raphas lineup are the bibs. Having a great pair of bibs is almost priceless.

And Assos makes better bibs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit. View Post
Yeah, I've been on the website, and gasped at the prices...but everything they make looks sooooo nice. I'm wondering if any BFers have actually had first-hand experience with any of the stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit. View Post
Assos stuff may be well made and well engineered and whatnot...but most of it is hideous. The only reason Rapha can justify their prices is because a lot of their stuff is a pretty unique crossover between cyclewear and streetwear. Assos doesn't make anything any normal person would feel comfortable wearing off the bike.

As a side point, Assos' website makes me want to punch things.

Rapha have to make money to sponsor their race team.

I don't know anyone that uses their clothing and Don't know of any stockist where I can look and try before I buy.

And on Assos- Just bought my first Jacket in assos and I now know why they are so expensive- but I bought mine in a sale.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 05:12 PM   #9
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes:
Posts: 5,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I don't understand Rapha. A friend of mine gave me the same article (only in print) that was linked to, practically. My questions was - why do these companies always say they're going to make bike clothing that looks like normal clothing, then make clothing that I wouldn't wear whether it's bike specific or not? I mean seriously, did you SEE this picture?



There's nothing like a guy wearing an akward pink undershirt to make me want to buy the same thing...oh wait.

If I'm going to be a pretentious prick, it's going to be in bibs, spandex, and other bike-specifically-designed, utilitarian gear. If I want to look "normal", I'm going to wear normal looking clothing. Nothing Rapha makes falls in either of those categories - it's pretentious overpriced clothing that's not as good for biking as "real" bike stuff is.
PaulRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-09, 05:05 AM   #10
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.
Thread Starter
 
Exit.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that suit looks pretty silly, but lots of Rapha stuff is stuff I would wear off the bike.





Exit. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.