Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-04, 09:15 AM   #1
formicalinoleum
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Performance Bike -- driving me crazy!

Anyone else regular online Performance Bike customers? I have used them for bike gear (clothing, tools, etc) for a few years and have generally been happy, but my recent experiences have been incredibly frustrating.

I made 3 orders in about the last month, and they messed up all three. In the first, they overcharged me. In the second, they left out 3 items. In the third, they overcharged me again and they additionally gave me too little of a credit back when they tried to fix it despite the fact that I told them exactly how much they owed me. I'm fed up of communicating with their customer service, and it doesn't help that in all the back and forth about these problems, I have received not one apology from them for their mistakes.

Anyone else had recent problems with Performance? Maybe I'm just having bad luck with them recently? What other online bike supply places do folks use (I'm in the US)?

- Liz
formicalinoleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 09:18 AM   #2
Ebbtide
Senior Member
 
Ebbtide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,617
I've never had a problem with them. There is also Supergo.com and Nashbar.com, but all owned by the same company.

I think you just had some bad luck. Keep working with them and I'm sure they will get it straight for you.
Ebbtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 11:01 AM   #3
Seanholio
Senior Member
 
Seanholio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Vision R40 - recumbent, Gunnar Crosshairs
Posts: 566
Liz,

In cases like this, I find it best to speak to a supervisor, or manager. Write a letter, and cc the general manager, VP of Online Sales, VP of Sales, and CEO of Performance Bicycle. I've worked in many customer service groups, and it helps to be a very squeaky wheel. Make sure your letters are well-written, describe the problems in detail, and don't come across as angry. State the facts, and what you want them to do. Also let them know that you have been happy with them in the past, and hope that this is just a temporary problem.

Finally, don't threaten them that you're never shopping there again, or that you've lambasted them to your friends. The people in customer service hear this all the time, and the typical reaction is, "Hmmm that customer is already gone. Why throw further resources at this?"
Seanholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 11:39 AM   #4
Psyclist
Go ahead...make my lunch.
 
Psyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: RI
Bikes: Lemond Reno, Fuji DelRey
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by formicalinoleum
Anyone else regular online Performance Bike customers? I have used them for bike gear (clothing, tools, etc) for a few years and have generally been happy, but my recent experiences have been incredibly frustrating.

I made 3 orders in about the last month, and they messed up all three. In the first, they overcharged me. In the second, they left out 3 items. In the third, they overcharged me again and they additionally gave me too little of a credit back when they tried to fix it despite the fact that I told them exactly how much they owed me. I'm fed up of communicating with their customer service, and it doesn't help that in all the back and forth about these problems, I have received not one apology from them for their mistakes.

Anyone else had recent problems with Performance? Maybe I'm just having bad luck with them recently? What other online bike supply places do folks use (I'm in the US)?

- Liz
I will say this...it pays to have an Amex card.
2 or 3 years ago, I was at a local store waiting in line at an "express Lane" checkout. Three people in line(I'm number two) The guy who was working the register was jawing it up pretty good for about 3-4 minutes with the guy ahead of me. A friend of his, I guess?? After awhile, with a gallon of milk in my hand and 2 other things, I spoke up and said: " excuse me, I need to kind of run along..can I get checked-out?? The guy working says:Just RELAX! we're almost done!
OK, so now I'm p*ssed. I look down at the floor...thinking of my next move...and then it hits me..my Amex card. When I get up there he starts grumbling about something or other and I whip out the card to pay for it. Why??? Because when I got home I immediately called American Express and complained about the service that I got from one of their "patrons". The woman read back to me the time of purchase, amount and the store where I was at, to a "T". Well, I heard from a friend of mine who's sister works at this store ,that all hell broke loose after that...Amex read them the riot act!
Moral: go all the way to the top...first.
Psyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 11:51 AM   #5
Pittrider
Two wheel escape!!
 
Pittrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Bikes: Trek 5200
Posts: 78
I hope this isn't the case for me. I just placed an on-line order for $250 worth of items. Before doing so I called the customer service to explain that there is not enough room in their "notes" section to fully explain pricematch info. She said "just abbreviate where you can". To really confuse the situation I used a 20% off code, now I'm not sure they will not honor on top of the pricematching.
Pittrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 11:58 AM   #6
Avalanche325
Senior Member
 
Avalanche325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pasadena, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
There is also Supergo.com and Nashbar.com, but all owned by the same company.
That dosen't mean that they are run the same.
Ford owns, Jaguar, Volvo, and Astin Martin. The service is NOT the same.
Avalanche325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 12:23 PM   #7
chuckfox
'possum killer
 
chuckfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ames, Iowa
Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)
Posts: 252
I think it is important to support your local bike shop. If you want a source of quality bikes/parts/supplies---and service, you need to make sure that they are around. My LBS's prices are very similar to performace bike prices, especially when you include shipping. Because I frequent the shop, I know everyone there and its a great place to go for advice and to hang with friends I've made there. And they do repairs for me at very reasonable rates. I hope I never see the day when I have to ship my bike somewhere for a repair. So I try to make sure that they stay in business. Simply cheaper is rarely better in the long run.
chuckfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 12:43 PM   #8
formicalinoleum
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfox
I think it is important to support your local bike shop. If you want a source of quality bikes/parts/supplies---and service, you need to make sure that they are around. My LBS's prices are very similar to performace bike prices, especially when you include shipping. Because I frequent the shop, I know everyone there and its a great place to go for advice and to hang with friends I've made there. And they do repairs for me at very reasonable rates. I hope I never see the day when I have to ship my bike somewhere for a repair. So I try to make sure that they stay in business. Simply cheaper is rarely better in the long run.
I do always use my LBS for bikes, service, and the majority of parts (anything I'd have them install, which is basically anything beyond a tube or tire). I am certainly there enough that they know me. But I've used Performance for clothing and accessories. I guess I could get accessories there, but they don't really carry clothing.
formicalinoleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 12:53 PM   #9
Ebbtide
Senior Member
 
Ebbtide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
That dosen't mean that they are run the same.
Ford owns, Jaguar, Volvo, and Astin Martin. The service is NOT the same.
Yes, my Ford dealer ROCKS!!

True, but the money (profits) end up in the same pockets if you are really trying to make a statement. I use all them regularly.
Ebbtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 12:57 PM   #10
Ebbtide
Senior Member
 
Ebbtide's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ohio's Cycling Capital, America's North Coast.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,617
OT:

Formicalinoleum,

Are you in the flooring business, and if so can I PM you? I have a question and looking for an honest answer about linoleum.
Ebbtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 09:47 PM   #11
Waldo
Zippy Engineer
 
Waldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: IN
Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9
Posts: 1,801
Random thought-how much money are you really saving if you factor in the cost of your time (not to mention the aggravation) vs. making such purchases at a LBS?
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 09:54 PM   #12
chuckfox
'possum killer
 
chuckfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ames, Iowa
Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by formicalinoleum
I do always use my LBS for bikes, service, and the majority of parts (anything I'd have them install, which is basically anything beyond a tube or tire). I am certainly there enough that they know me. But I've used Performance for clothing and accessories. I guess I could get accessories there, but they don't really carry clothing.
That's great. I get concerned because performance bike just pummels me with catalogs and I'm often tempted by what's on sale--but then they give me ideas and I'm off to the LBS. So in some sense performance really helps them. I have purchased some clothing items from Performance as well, but I'm usually ashamed to wear them into the bike shop.
chuckfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 10:21 PM   #13
sm266
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic
Posts: 607
I like performance, and have been happy with their service. Hopefully, it's a limited string of problems, and they'll resolve the issue.
sm266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-04, 04:11 PM   #14
ngateguy
Center of the Universe
 
ngateguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everett, WA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Random thought-how much money are you really saving if you factor in the cost of your time (not to mention the aggravation) vs. making such purchases at a LBS?
I've never had problems with performance when it comes to stuff liek bikes and parts I think the LBS is your better choice after you factor in Shipping and service. Clothing on the other hand is always a better deal on line than the LBS.
__________________
Matthew 6
ngateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:49 AM.