Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member ErnieAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Testimony For A Helmet

    Newspaper blog "Learning the value of a bike helmet . . . the hard way"
    http://weekendwarriors.freedombloggi...-hard-way/167/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same old boring story, 'I had an accident and I'm alive cause I was wearing my helmet.'
    For each one of those there's countless incidents of having an accident without wearing a helmet and surviving.
    Do the Exact same crash again without a helmet and die, then I'll believe that the helmet was a significant factor.

    Anyway, the guy in the story was a moron, he should have used his brakes instead of all this dodging the cars vs the pedestrian vs the sidewalk and hitting one in the end. Or at least hit the pedestrian who started the issue.

  3. #3
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,671
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He blacked out, which means he suffered a concussion. If the helmet hadn't absorbed some of the force of the impact, then the concussion would have been worse. Is it that hard to understand?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  4. #4
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Is it that hard to understand?
    For some, obviously

    I had an accident one week ago today. crushed the helmet and split it in three spots. Was knocked out cold. Took it and me to the hospital. Dr said due to the location of the strike on the helmet and given my known speed (22mph) that I'd probably be in a coma or worse. Instead had a mild concussion and was back commuting Monday morning.

    Proof enough for me.

  5. #5
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,671
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    For some, obviously

    I had an accident one week ago today. crushed the helmet and split it in three spots. Was knocked out cold. Took it and me to the hospital. Dr said due to the location of the strike on the helmet and given my known speed (22mph) that I'd probably be in a coma or worse. Instead had a mild concussion and was back commuting Monday morning.

    Proof enough for me.
    Good outcome. Is the helmet being hung in a place of honor?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  6. #6
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Good outcome. Is the helmet being hung in a place of honor?
    Actually the helmet is being returned to Trek. They replace any of their helmets free under warranty for one year from date of purchase if involved in a crash.

    For those that wonder, the strike was a hard strike against asphalt directly above the left temple. My head (unlike other parts) didn't have a mark on it.

    -R

  7. #7
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had plenty of offs on the bike and had helmets that have had severe damage to them with no effect to me except that the wallet got damaged.

    But if I were to pick out one accident in which I was glad I was wearing a helmet was when I came off at high speed on an icy road and fell with my helmet scraping along the road. No rolling or tumbling and thanks to the Ice- only slight abrasions to my clothing.

    That helmet foam is about 1" thick and I slid for about 50yards. When I stopped- the foam on one side had worn away completely. That could have been my skull or my face.

    In the last 18 years of riding I have had to replace helmets about every 2 years on average- due to damage. But thanks to those helmets- I am still riding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no question that the helmet can save your brain in certain kinds of accidents. My guess is he was riding faster than he should have near pedestrians. The more risk you take the more you need a helmet. The less capable a rider you are the more you need a helmet.
    2000 Montague CX, I do not recommend it, but still ride it.
    Strida 3, I recommend it for rides < 10mi wo steep hills.
    2006 Rowbike 720 Sport, I recommend it as an exercise bike.
    1996 Birdy, Recommend.
    Wieleder CARiBIKE (folding), decent frame.

  9. #9
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met a guy the other day who swore he never wanted to get on another bicycle - ever. His explanation was he used to bicycle all the time. When he was living in Florida, he was a pick for a national baseball team. He had been a pitcher - whose abilities brought him to the attention of national coaches and scouts.

    A few days before his try-outs were to be held, he was "helped" off his bike at about 20mph. He didn't believe in helmets - THEN. He explained that he had to protect his head while on his way to kiss the pavement - so he did a tuck & roll off his shoulder. His shoulder was shattered. He could never hope to pitch again for a major-league team.

    He tells people to wear a helmet these days - while driving a taxi for a living. He says a helmet would have saved his career. But he, personally, will never get on another bicycle.

    This is a true story, not some tear-jerking propaganda from the helmet makers - for you anti-helmet nuts.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    This is a true story, not some tear-jerking propaganda from the helmet makers - for you anti-helmet nuts.
    Doesn't have to be fiction for it to be used as propoganda.


    P.S. OP: wrong forum, this belongs in advocacy and safety.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    IL-USA
    Posts
    1,606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieAZ View Post
    Newspaper blog "Learning the value of a bike helmet . . . the hard way"
    http://weekendwarriors.freedombloggi...-hard-way/167/
    It could also be titled "Learning the value of a recumbent bike . . . the hard way". Except that the guy didn't learn that yet.

    Unlike just about all upright bikes, most long-wheelbase recumbents have a center of gravity that is too low to tip over forward during a crash or during hard braking. People crashing and going "over the bars" on such a bicycle is practically unheard of. The typical recumbent crash pattern is falling over sideways and sliding, resulting in lacerations to the hands and surface scrapes to the legs and hips.

    This is the real crime of the "bicycle helmet nannies".

    Wanting to reduce bicycling head injuries is not a bad thing in itself, but to advise (or require!) people to wear a styrofoam hat while ignoring an alternate type of bicycle that's far less likely to result in head injuries at all borders on malicious ignorance.
    ~

  12. #12
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug5150 View Post
    It could also be titled "Learning the value of a recumbent bike . . . the hard way". Except that the guy didn't learn that yet.

    ~
    Why is it the recumbent folks always have to jump into some thread and try to promote the damn things? FWIW, most of the 'bent folks around my area wouldn't hurt their head because they look like Jabba the Hut on a bike and they'd just bounce.

    And one I work with is a pure kook. I mean like three fries short of a Happy Meal nuts.

    Doing a 10 mile Mountain Climb Sunday... want to race that 'bent? Oh, that's right... they suck at that too.

  13. #13
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,229
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Why is it the recumbent folks always have to jump into some thread and try to promote the damn things? FWIW, most of the 'bent folks around my area wouldn't hurt their head because they look like Jabba the Hut on a bike and they'd just bounce.

    And one I work with is a pure kook. I mean like three fries short of a Happy Meal nuts.

    Doing a 10 mile Mountain Climb Sunday... want to race that 'bent? Oh, that's right... they suck at that too.
    Aren't you the guy who knocked yourself out (literally) last week riding faster than you can handle?

    Maybe you should cool your jets for a while.

  14. #14
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
    Aren't you the guy who knocked yourself out (literally) last week riding faster than you can handle?
    .
    Yup. Accident on Thursday, riding on Monday. Thanks to a helmet, not a recumbent.

  15. #15
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Yup. Accident on Thursday, riding on Monday. Thanks to a helmet, not a recumbent.
    Hmm, I fell down and went boom on Sunday, got up and continued riding...I wasn't wearing a helmet. PRAISE JEBUS...NOT WEARING A HELMET SAVED MY LIFE!!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  16. #16
    xtrajack xtrajack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Posts
    2,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode into a parked car once.
    I was looking at my FD instead of where I was going,As I was going over the handlebars I was thinking that I had gotten doored.(that was the second time in my life I had gone over the handlebars. First time I was about 12 or 13.)

    I wasn't wearing a helmet,I wasn't injured,I was fortunate enough to do the tuck and roll thing.
    I rode another three or four years without a helmet.
    One night on my way in to work on a steep downhill run,a rabbit came out of nowhere.To this day I still don't know what kept us from colliding
    I decided that a helmet might not be a bad idea. I certainly don't wish for my helmet to have to do it's job (I'm not really sure the one I wear would because of it's age.) but, I feel better wearing it.
    However, I feel the whole helmet thing should be an individual choice for adults (bicycles,motorcycles,snowmobile,whatever)

  17. #17
    Older than dirt CCrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Posts
    5,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    Hmm, I fell down and went boom on Sunday, got up and continued riding...I wasn't wearing a helmet. PRAISE JEBUS...NOT WEARING A HELMET SAVED MY LIFE!!
    You wouldn't have fallen down if you were on a recumbent though

  18. #18
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    You wouldn't have fallen down if you were on a recumbent though
    at least not until after I fell asleep on it!
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  19. #19
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,671
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Why is it the recumbent folks always have to jump into some thread and try to promote the damn things? FWIW, most of the 'bent folks around my area wouldn't hurt their head because they look like Jabba the Hut on a bike and they'd just bounce.

    And one I work with is a pure kook. I mean like three fries short of a Happy Meal nuts.

    Doing a 10 mile Mountain Climb Sunday... want to race that 'bent? Oh, that's right... they suck at that too.
    I represent your comments.

    The previous suggestion by Doug5150 (that 'bentriders are at no risk for head injury) is far-fetched.

    I understand that Lance will be riding a 'bent on at least one of the mountain stages of the TDF this year.(Wearing a helmet, of course.)
    Last edited by JanMM; 06-12-09 at 01:21 PM.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  20. #20
    I am Joe's lactic acid. Big M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Windsor Cyclo, and some spares.
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    I met a guy the other day who swore he never wanted to get on another bicycle - ever. His explanation was he used to bicycle all the time. When he was living in Florida, he was a pick for a national baseball team. He had been a pitcher - whose abilities brought him to the attention of national coaches and scouts.

    A few days before his try-outs were to be held, he was "helped" off his bike at about 20mph. He didn't believe in helmets - THEN. He explained that he had to protect his head while on his way to kiss the pavement - so he did a tuck & roll off his shoulder. His shoulder was shattered. He could never hope to pitch again for a major-league team.

    He tells people to wear a helmet these days - while driving a taxi for a living. He says a helmet would have saved his career. But he, personally, will never get on another bicycle.

    This is a true story, not some tear-jerking propaganda from the helmet makers - for you anti-helmet nuts.
    I bet he would have done a tuck & roll even with a helmet.
    And his career would still have been ruined.

    It's a shame, but this is probably the worst anecdotal evidence advocating bike helmets that I've ever read.
    If there was a problem, yo, Ill solve it
    Check out the hook while my dj revolves it

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big M View Post
    I bet he would have done a tuck & roll even with a helmet.
    And his career would still have been ruined.

    It's a shame, but this is probably the worst anecdotal evidence advocating bike helmets that I've ever read.
    +1
    also note, that if you shatter your shoulder when doing a roll, You're Doing it Wrong. His own ineptitude, not a lack of helmet that focused all the impact on that shoulder.

  22. #22
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xenologer: Thus far you have shown that you believe the person in the story shouldn't have been wearing a helmet because they were doing dumb things while riding their bike regards cars and pedestrians. All I can surmise from your attitude is that you think people shouldn't wear helmets because if they make a mistake while riding - they deserve to have crippling head trauma or die on the spot.

    I hope that you never get a talk show that advocates bicycling. You'd set us back 50 years. You are one black-hearted person from where I sit.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthers007 View Post
    All I can surmise from your attitude is that you think people shouldn't wear helmets because if they make a mistake while riding - they deserve to have crippling head trauma or die on the spot.

    I hope that you never get a talk show that advocates bicycling. You'd set us back 50 years. You are one black-hearted person from where I sit.
    This is a big assumption, and I take great offence that you imply I am the kind of person who wishes harm on others.
    Apologize please.


    I don't care if Individuals choose to wear or not, what bothers me, and the reason for the tone of my posting is when stories of people's mistakes are used to push an agenda that Everyone should also wear helmets.
    I like my freedom to go without a helmet, and when someone's unfortunate accident is used as an attack on my choice I respond in kind.

    In prior responces I never wished injury on any person, only made pointed remarks about the questionable usefulness of the helmet and causality of the injuries by other means such as skill and not making mistakes in the first place.


    In fact if you pay attention, you should have seen that my attitude is that helmets are not a significant factor; meaning I believe injuries with or without should not vary in severity. So your suggestion that I want people to stop wearing as a form of 'black-hearted' darwinian selection is entirely baseless. If anything I believe that more people going without will reduce injuries as it puts less strain on necks, doesn't hinder senses as much, and encourages more defensive riding...

    Apologize for the 'black-hearted' remark, or shall we agree that I put you on ignore and we never talk again?

  24. #24
    Pwnerer Wordbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
    My Bikes
    Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
    Posts
    2,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story seems like a good argument for not riding around traffic and pedestrians.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Ski, bike and wish I was gay.

  25. #25
    Great State of Varmint Panthers007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dante's Third Ring
    Posts
    7,481
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apology is NOT forthcoming. My viewpoint stands. Go away kid.

    Your 'threat' to ignore me means nothing. Your methodology to advance the "Helmets Are A Choice" agenda is misguided at best. Helmets save lives. This is a known fact gathered though statistics - which I don't always agree with. So I wouldn't vote for a law to make this an ordinance in law. But your methods are rank.

    May I ask you one question before you run away? What is the meaning of your name here? I know what 'xeno' means. But what are you inferring with 'xenologer'?

    Is it derivative from xenophobia?
    Last edited by Panthers007; 06-13-09 at 01:30 AM.
    How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •