Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-09, 04:40 AM   #1
dcswan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
dcswan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Delaware
Bikes: '08 Scott SUB 20
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Life after bankruptcy...

Chevy has decided to try and find other means of staying afloat during these difficult economic times.

Umm, probably not but I thought this would make for a pretty neat post nonetheless. This is at Lotte Mart in Gunsan City (or as to the military folk as myself Kunsan City or KC for short) S. Korea. Lotte Mart is almost like the other "big box" department store back home, but this one takes it to another level, literally. This place is 3 stories tall! But compared to back home where we can put one about every 5 miles or so it seems, over here they have to use their land a little more efficiently; so they go upward instead.

I apologize if I've put this in the wrong area. Just let me know if it is and I'll move it where it belongs. Enjoy the picture, hope it brings a smile to others as it did for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0865.jpg (102.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0860.jpg (95.3 KB, 61 views)
dcswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 04:52 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcswan View Post
Chevy has decided to try and find other means of staying afloat during these difficult economic times.
Going back to basics now- A lot of car manufacturers started out by making Bicycles. Peugeot is one that still makes them and one of the few "Big" manufacturers that are still going.

You never know- You might find that Marin and Trek are going to start in the Automobile business.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 08:13 AM   #3
surfrider
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but BMW started out as a small engine manufacturer, then branched out by buying bicycles from others and installed engines on them to make "motorized bicycles," then advanced to making their own motorcycles, then cars.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 08:23 AM   #4
DarkCloud
Gitane Fix(at)ed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Grenoble, France
Bikes: Nice Gitane Fixed Gear, Cheap and cheerful rigid MTB, Wonky commuter, A fully 105 road bike with a pipe steel frame
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, my car is a Rover.

It's really too bad that they had a lot of trouble in the last years of their existence and are not around anymore.

Guess what. It seems that amongst other things, this company (at that time called Starley & Sutton Co. of Coventry, England) made the first modern bicycle: Rover Safety Bicycle
DarkCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 08:33 AM   #5
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 11,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If the name is on a bike being sold in Korea, I would suspect that Chevrolet had nothing whatever to do with that bike. Certainly didn't make it.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 09:16 AM   #6
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but BMW started out as a small engine manufacturer, then branched out by buying bicycles from others and installed engines on them to make "motorized bicycles," then advanced to making their own motorcycles, then cars.
Honda followed pretty much the same route, actually. Soichiro Honda's father, in fact, ran a bicycle shop, repairing and reselling second-hand bikes.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 09:58 AM   #7
GTALuigi
Senior Member
 
GTALuigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: GTA
Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, those are some cool facts re: Honda and BMW

Here in town Magna is kinda going the same path, although they started out as an electronic parts and mechanical shop parts, they are digging into the GM bankruptcy and got a few of the brands they sold out.

BionX is also owned by Magna

to me it seems like they want to start making e-Cars, they are buying all the ownership and patents related to electronic base engines to make green vehicles
GTALuigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 10:07 AM   #8
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Going back to basics now- A lot of car manufacturers started out by making Bicycles. Peugeot is one that still makes them and one of the few "Big" manufacturers that are still going.

You never know- You might find that Marin and Trek are going to start in the Automobile business.
If Marin and Trek do start in to the automobile business I would think they are out of their minds. I honestly believe that the automobile as we know it, days are numbered. Now if they come up with Velomobiles or some unknown lightweight, clean power train? Who knows.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 10:46 AM   #9
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
If Marin and Trek do start in to the automobile business I would think they are out of their minds. I honestly believe that the automobile as we know it, days are numbered. Now if they come up with Velomobiles or some unknown lightweight, clean power train? Who knows.

Aaron
What's interesting about the automobile industry now is there are more and more new small-scale manufacturers appearing. They'll use engines from established manufacturers and build the car around them.

If a bike company wants to dabble in cars, that'd be the route to take. Hopefully, though, they won't let it kick their ass like Cannondale's motorcycle adventure did to them.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 10:56 AM   #10
jagster
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: western kentucky
Bikes: Cannondale ST500 1983 model, Schwinn World 80's, Schwinn Continental 1972
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cars into bikes, makes sense....

Well, if the automobile's days are numbered, we can turn all the roads into bike trails. We can be just like China and the rest of the third world countries. People can live in old SUV's and save plenty of money on housing. Just think, without trucks, we would all have to go back to gardening to get vegetables and all the other goodies we are used to stuffing in our faces.

As to all this crap about 'hybid vehicles' that need batteries, well, just think of how much they cost, how much dirty energy it takes to keep them charged and how bad they are when it comes time to dispose of them. Yes, the great solution that the Washington *****s would like you to believe.

I'm afraid this country will continue to need those gas burning, choking the environment, monstrosities we call our 'personal' transportation well in to the forseeable future.

Oh, just in an effort to stay on track about car history, Jaguar started out making sidecars for motorcylcles, and you see how they have progressed, and stumbled, and fallen along the way. We need to dig up Sir Lyons and get those drawings back.
jagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 03:56 PM   #11
Freewheeler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Bikes: 80's Marin, 90's Dawes, ALAN & various unicycles.
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but BMW started out as a small engine manufacturer, then branched out by buying bicycles from others and installed engines on them to make "motorized bicycles," then advanced to making their own motorcycles, then cars.
Aeroplanes, then motocycles, then cars as far as I know.
Freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-09, 09:42 PM   #12
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagster View Post
Well, if the automobile's days are numbered, we can turn all the roads into bike trails. We can be just like China and the rest of the third world countries. People can live in old SUV's and save plenty of money on housing. Just think, without trucks, we would all have to go back to gardening to get vegetables and all the other goodies we are used to stuffing in our faces.

As to all this crap about 'hybid vehicles' that need batteries, well, just think of how much they cost, how much dirty energy it takes to keep them charged and how bad they are when it comes time to dispose of them. Yes, the great solution that the Washington *****s would like you to believe.

I'm afraid this country will continue to need those gas burning, choking the environment, monstrosities we call our 'personal' transportation well in to the forseeable future.

Oh, just in an effort to stay on track about car history, Jaguar started out making sidecars for motorcylcles, and you see how they have progressed, and stumbled, and fallen along the way. We need to dig up Sir Lyons and get those drawings back.
They may "need" them but the question will be can they afford them?

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 06:14 PM   #13
bkrownd
kipuka explorer
 
bkrownd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hilo Town, East Hawai'i
Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36
Posts: 3,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post
Aeroplanes, then motocycles, then cars as far as I know.
Guided by the banning of the German weapons industry after WWI, IIRC.
__________________
--
-=- '05 Jamis Nova -=- '04 Fuji Absolute -=- '94 Trek 820 -=- '77 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36 -=-
Friends don't let friends use brifters.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 10:53 PM   #14
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
GM is closing down dealerships, auto plants and outsourcing whatever is left. Yet there are people who think GM is going to survive! Folks, GM is going to need another BAILOUT in the very near future because they didn't sell many cars the last two quarters! It's over.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 11:11 AM   #15
lshaped
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
GM is closing down dealerships, auto plants and outsourcing whatever is left. Yet there are people who think GM is going to survive! Folks, GM is going to need another BAILOUT in the very near future because they didn't sell many cars the last two quarters! It's over.

shhhh- don't say this so loud- around here posts like this are treason
hey, they should think about hooking up with bikesdirect
lshaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 PM.