Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help me make a choice

    Help me make a choice between MARIN "FAIRFAX," MARIN "KENTWOOD," AND DIAMONDBACK "VENTURA." The Kentwood has a cromo frame, which I prefer to aluminum, but the components are not as good as those of the other two bikes. If I have to choose between the two aluminum bikes (Fairfax and
    Ventura) I prefer the frame, light weight, and color-finish of the Fairfax. But I like the upright-riding position and comfort of the Ventura. I would be using the bike for streets and paved bike paths... about 12-15 miles of riding, 6 days a week.

    IF you were buying one of these bikes -- and I know a goodly number of you at this number wouldn't even consider buying a hybrid especially at this low-end level -- but pretend that you are me and that you wanted to take home one of these 3 bikes (after looking at many other brands.) Which one would YOU select? Never mind what I like (I'm not sure... so that's why I'm asking. I hope some opinions and a bit of discussion well help clarify things for me. Be sure and tell me THE REASON that made a particular selection. The Fairfax is about $100 more than the other two, which are about the same price. The bikes can be seen at the following URL's:

    http://tinyurl.com/2pt9e

    http://tinyurl.com/32x64

    http://tinyurl.com/2ow6f

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia elite, Cannondale mt bike
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guessing you dont want to hear this but go to bike shops and test ride these bikes. A few you will be able rule out right off the bat and be able to narrow it down to an easier choice. Ride around their lot or whearever as long as you need to. And try a couple of bikes you had not originaly considered, you might be suprised at what you like to peddle versus the analysis paralysis.

    Try not to let $100 make the decision, you wont care about the money after 3 weeks or 8 months or two years of riding a bike you enjoy but you will regret not spending it if you dont like the bike.

    You say 12-15 miles 6 days is your plan that is good to know. I ended up riding double my plan so keep in mind that you may fall hard cycling, or you may just ride your plan.

    Lastly consider the quality AND comfort, hopefully these two qualities will go together in one bicycle as they should.

    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Austin,TX
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another choice in cromo is the Marin Muirwoods. I've had mine for 6 months and really enjoy it. I made a few upgrades, but overall it's a great bike for the price. It got great reviews at roadbikereview.com, which caught my eye.
    Muirwoods review

  4. #4
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedl'nfool
    Guessing you dont want to hear this but go to bike shops and test ride these bikes. A few you will be able rule out right off the bat and be able to narrow it down to an easier choice. Ride around their lot or whearever as long as you need to. And try a couple of bikes you had not originaly considered, you might be suprised at what you like to peddle versus the analysis paralysis.

    Try not to let $100 make the decision, you wont care about the money after 3 weeks or 8 months or two years of riding a bike you enjoy but you will regret not spending it if you dont like the bike.

    You say 12-15 miles 6 days is your plan that is good to know. I ended up riding double my plan so keep in mind that you may fall hard cycling, or you may just ride your plan.

    Lastly consider the quality AND comfort, hopefully these two qualities will go together in one bicycle as they should.

    Good Luck
    Oh, p l e a s e, people, don't give me the ol' 'go to your LBS and test ride' routine I've been looking for a bike for over 6 months. I've tried every bicycle within 30 miles of my home town and I don't even have a car!) Bike shops around here are most reluctant to order something unless you buy it. They tell you to ride a similar model and then expect you to go by that. Anyway... I tried every, Trek, Giant, Jamis, Fuji and Specialized model available for trying, in the comfort and hybrid category. I tried used bikes as well. It's time I bought a bike and I've narrowed it down to the three I've mentioned. I'm not concerned about the extra $100 (I totally agree w/ that advice, 'pedl'n fool.') The bicycle shop that has the bikes I mentioned has been very patient with me. I'm going to buy one of those three bike... probably sometime tomorrow. I will ask about the "Marin Muriwoods" that 'Bunchock' mentioned (in another post), This particular shop has lots of Marins and are the sales persons seem more flexiable regarding ordering bikes than other shops I've been in.... (in the meantime I'll take a look at it on the Marin Webpage.)

  5. #5
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunchok
    Another choice in cromo is the Marin Muirwoods. I've had mine for 6 months and really enjoy it. I made a few upgrades, but overall it's a great bike for the price. It got great reviews at roadbikereview.com, which caught my eye.
    Muirwoods review
    Thanks. I just looked at the Muirwoods at the Marin webpage. Nice bike, but it has 26" wheels. I prefer 700c's. Hope you continue to enjoy yours'!

  6. #6
    Senior Member bluemando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bluemando]Help me make a choice between MARIN "FAIRFAX," MARIN "KENTWOOD," AND DIAMONDBACK "VENTURA." The Kentwood has a cromo frame, which I prefer to aluminum, but the components are not as good as those of the other two bikes. If I have to choose between the two aluminum bikes (Fairfax and
    Ventura) I prefer the frame, light weight, and color-finish of the Fairfax. But I like the upright-riding position and comfort of the Ventura. I would be using the bike for streets and paved bike paths... about 12-15 miles of riding, 6 days a week. <snip>
    ===
    I bought the inexpensive Marin, Kentwood, with the chromoly frame... Yeah sure the components are not that hot, but heck, the frame is so nice that after I "run the thing into the ground" I can upgrade to anything I want and still have a great looking bike. Thanks, to those who helped me... I may not have taken your advice, but I easily could have because all of it was good! May your biking days be many. Ciao.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Austin,TX
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! You can't go wrong with a Marin, whichever model you choose. I hope it serves you well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,948
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=bluemando]
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemando
    I bought the inexpensive Marin, Kentwood, with the chromoly frame... Yeah sure the components are not that hot, but heck, the frame is so nice that after I "run the thing into the ground" I can upgrade to anything I want and still have a great looking bike. Thanks, to those who helped me... I may not have taken your advice, but I easily could have because all of it was good! May your biking days be many. Ciao.
    Thanks!

    I have a 10 year old steel frame Marin sitting in my garage that I use for my beater bike. It doesn't have a single original part left on it. I still love the bike, but I haven't ridden it for a while. I've been sitting here at my computer today thinking about what kind of bicycling I was going to do today. Thanks to you I think that I'll ride my Marin down to the KATY trail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •