Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-09, 03:57 PM   #1
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like a needle right through my thigh

Hi
Does anyone ever get a sporadic sharp pain in the thigh area, like smack middle, that feels like someone just inserted a needle?

If so, any thoughts on what causes this?
I do stretch prior to riding, so this one has me stumped.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 03:58 PM   #2
Sammilove
Tortoiseshells rule!
 
Sammilove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes: 1980 Schwinn LeTour
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Putting a thread up in the wrong forum can have that effect.

Are you sure you are in the correct place? Are you doping?
Sammilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 03:59 PM   #3
daxr
Senior Member
 
daxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: K.F., Orygun
Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Hi
Does anyone ever get a sporadic sharp pain in the thigh area, like smack middle, that feels like someone just inserted a needle?

If so, any thoughts on what causes this?
I do stretch prior to riding, so this one has me stumped.
Is this some sort of Armstrong/Contador analogy?
daxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:00 PM   #4
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammilove View Post
Putting a thread up in the wrong forum can have that effect.

Are you sure you are in the correct place? Are you doping?
Not helpful, but thanks anyways.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:01 PM   #5
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxr View Post
Is this some sort of Armstrong/Contador analogy?
I believe Contador has, or had, the same pain but his was located in the buttocks.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:01 PM   #6
Sammilove
Tortoiseshells rule!
 
Sammilove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes: 1980 Schwinn LeTour
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Not helpful, but thanks anyways.
Sorry, but I think all of us are wondering what your post has to do with Professional Cycling .
Sammilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 04:22 PM   #7
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammilove View Post
Sorry, but I think all of us are wondering what your post has to do with Professional Cycling .
My original post was asking for help about thigh pain, not for someone who has nothing else to do but to contribute negatively to these forums. Go argue somewhere else.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:28 PM   #8
Sammilove
Tortoiseshells rule!
 
Sammilove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes: 1980 Schwinn LeTour
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
My original post was asking for help about thigh pain, not for someone who has nothing else to do but to contribute negatively to these forums. Go argue somewhere else.
What am I arguing? And what's the negative contribution? Are you annoyed because I pointed out that your post has nothing to do with Professional Cycling?

You obviously don't understand the merriment which your thread provoked in a forum which has almost daily discussions about doping .

Go with the flow--we thought you were being funny!
Sammilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:41 PM   #9
EraserGirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Methuen, MA
Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you were a middle aged woman like me, i'd say it's low blood potassium, this causes leg muscle cramps. Eat some bananas when you ride.
EraserGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:43 PM   #10
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xfimpg, is there any way you can be a bit more specific? This thread got moved to General Cycling because your question had nothing to do with Professional Cycling.

Where did you want to post this thread? I can move it to wherever you'd like. But please don't get miffed because people responded to your thread as if they thought you were making a good joking connection, all right?

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:51 PM   #11
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
xfimpg, is there any way you can be a bit more specific? This thread got moved to General Cycling because your question had nothing to do with Professional Cycling.

Where did you want to post this thread? I can move it to wherever you'd like. But please don't get miffed because people responded to your thread as if they thought you were making a good joking connection, all right?

East Hill
Hi EH
lol not miffed, just thought the first poster was rude and provided no alternatives - which is too often the case in this forum.
I thought the second poster was actually funny.
General Cycling is fine and thanks.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:53 PM   #12
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserGirl View Post
If you were a middle aged woman like me, i'd say it's low blood potassium, this causes leg muscle cramps. Eat some bananas when you ride.
Hi
It doesn't feel like a cramp, feels more like it's near the bone, like someone's pricking it with a needle. Strange feeling.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 05:56 PM   #13
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Hi EH
lol not miffed, just thought the first poster was rude and provided no alternatives - which is too often the case in this forum.
I thought the second poster was actually funny.
General Cycling is fine and thanks.
Cool .

When I first read your post I too instantly thought you were making a joke about doping .

So now that we've got that straight, does Eraser Girl's recommendation make sense for you? Do you keep hydrated, and keep up your salt/potassium levels? Does this happen on long rides, short rides? Fast or slow pace?
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:04 PM   #14
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Cool .

When I first read your post I too instantly thought you were making a joke about doping .

So now that we've got that straight, does Eraser Girl's recommendation make sense for you? Do you keep hydrated, and keep up your salt/potassium levels? Does this happen on long rides, short rides? Fast or slow pace?
Thanks for asking. It happens out of the blue. My usual ride is 40-60 miles, cruising at 20mph, and it can happen at any time. It usually lasts for about 5 minutes. Haven't noticed it on hills, but it does happen on flats.
As EG mentionned, potassium is a good suggestion. I do eat 1 banana a day, sometimes 2.
Salt levels are good, regular in my food, but i dont specifically consume salt as I ride.

I would never make a joke about doping; that would offend my supplier.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:11 PM   #15
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Thanks for asking. It happens out of the blue. My usual ride is 40-60 miles, cruising at 20mph, and it can happen at any time. It usually lasts for about 5 minutes. Haven't noticed it on hills, but it does happen on flats.
As EG mentionned, potassium is a good suggestion. I do eat 1 banana a day, sometimes 2.
Salt levels are good, regular in my food, but i dont specifically consume salt as I ride.

I would never make a joke about doping; that would offend my supplier.


Ok, ummm...back to the discussion.

You do some long, fast rides! And lasting for five minutes, that's rather longer than what I thought (I was thinking five or six seconds, not minutes).

How long has this been happening? Within the last few weeks, a couple of months?

Edit: It sounds as if you have neuropathy, which can be caused by many different factors. Do you have diabetes?
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...

Last edited by East Hill; 07-25-09 at 06:19 PM.
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:19 PM   #16
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post


Ok, ummm...back to the discussion.

You do some long, fast rides! And lasting for five minutes, that's rather longer than what I thought (I was thinking five or six seconds, not minutes).

How long has this been happening? Within the last few weeks, a couple of months?
And I always thought I was a slowpoke. I need to thank my supplier.

It's been happening for about 1 month now. I made a tweak in my bike fit - moved my seat back a tad to allow easier of the glutes. I have noticed that it happens more often in the right leg.

Here's what I'm going to do because I suspect it's a bit fit problem - but I'm really on here because I am by no mean an expert.

EDIT: No diabetes, drinking chocolate rice milk as we speak.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:21 PM   #17
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
And I always thought I was a slowpoke. I need to thank my supplier.

It's been happening for about 1 month now. I made a tweak in my bike fit - moved my seat back a tad to allow easier of the glutes. I have noticed that it happens more often in the right leg.

Here's what I'm going to do because I suspect it's a bit fit problem - but I'm really on here because I am by no mean an expert.
Changing your bike set up could certainly cause some pain! But google 'neuropathy' and see if that describes what's going on.
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:32 PM   #18
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Changing your bike set up could certainly cause some pain! But google 'neuropathy' and see if that describes what's going on.
I don't think it applies to my situation (I hope not cause it doesnt sound like any fun), as i've had too many back problems over the years. Back pain usually finds a way to affect the legs. However today, no back pain at all.

I think you put your finger on it because I just remembered that I fiddled with my clean positioning recently as well, sorry forgot to mention that. Okay, I need to keep a diary of the changes that I make.

So if I move my seat back by say 3 milimeters or change the angle of a cleat, is that enough for the muscles to need to "re-learn"? What I'm trying to say is that they will need to work somewhat differently? To adjust to the changes, almost like re-growing pains.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:37 PM   #19
CCrew
Older than dirt
 
CCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11
Posts: 5,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
I don't think it applies to my situation (I hope not cause it doesnt sound like any fun), as i've had too many back problems over the years. Back pain usually finds a way to affect the legs. However today, no back pain at all.
Hmm. Sciatica?
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:39 PM   #20
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
I don't think it applies to my situation (I hope not cause it doesnt sound like any fun), as i've had too many back problems over the years. Back pain usually finds a way to affect the legs. However today, no back pain at all.

I think you put your finger on it because I just remembered that I fiddled with my clean positioning recently as well, sorry forgot to mention that. Okay, I need to keep a diary of the changes that I make.

So if I move my seat back by say 3 milimeters or change the angle of a cleat, is that enough for the muscles to need to "re-learn"? What I'm trying to say is that they will need to work somewhat differently? To adjust to the changes, almost like re-growing pains.
Quite possibly. Even tiny changes can make a difference sometimes. A diary might be a good idea, too.
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:40 PM   #21
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
Hmm. Sciatica?
Good question. Thank goodness no. I do have one leg shorter than the other, but my spine remains relatively straight... like my jokes.

Last edited by xfimpg; 07-25-09 at 06:48 PM.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:49 PM   #22
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks everyone for your help.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 06:55 PM   #23
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
Hi
It doesn't feel like a cramp, feels more like it's near the bone, like someone's pricking it with a needle. Strange feeling.
I had the same symptoms; was caused by a ruptured disk (Sciatica). Laminectomy on L4/L5 fixed the problem.

See a real doctor. Don't trust your future to Internet witch doctors.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 08:56 PM   #24
xfimpg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
xfimpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I had the same symptoms; was caused by a ruptured disk (Sciatica). Laminectomy on L4/L5 fixed the problem.

See a real doctor. Don't trust your future to Internet witch doctors.
This sporadic pain has only come up since I made some changes to my bike fitting.
It may be a long term solution (and I'm glad it worked for you as this is a great sport), but I'm not there yet and it doesn't hurt that much.
xfimpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 09:05 PM   #25
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
This sporadic pain has only come up since I made some changes to my bike fitting.
It may be a long term solution (and I'm glad it worked for you as this is a great sport), but I'm not there yet and it doesn't hurt that much.
Pain can be overcome by willpower or drugs, nerve weakness/deterioration can't.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.