Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Retro Prairie Girl terraskye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    My Bikes
    78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ok, probably the lamest tyre question ever

    How can you tell if a 26in tyre will fit a bike that came with the 700 ones. Other than ask the salesperson as I really dont want to go into the why I want to do this and so on.

    Please dont suggest I get a mountain bike, I just dont like the look of them for some reason


    TIA
    Fiona
    ~Fiona~

    My Bikes:
    1978 Raleigh DL-1 "Eliza"
    '07 Specialized Globe City 7.1 "Serenity"
    Forthcoming
    2010 Pashley Princess Sovereign "Mina"

    Also, Check out my Bike Blog:)
    Girl Can Bike

  2. #2
    Senior Member Timber_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    700 are a larger diameter then a 26 so it should fit in the frame. The width of the tire is the only thing that could give you a problem
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

  3. #3
    GO BIG RED norwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hastings,NE
    My Bikes
    1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
    How can you tell if a 26in tyre will fit a bike that came with the 700 ones. Other than ask the salesperson as I really dont want to go into the why I want to do this and so on.

    Please dont suggest I get a mountain bike, I just dont like the look of them for some reason


    TIA
    Fiona
    I'm gonna assume a few things here. I think you mean wheels and not just tires (tyres). Obviously a 26" tire will not fit a 700C wheel, but I don't think that's what you mean. In most cases a 26" wheel/tire combo will "fit" a bike that takes a 700C wheel but then there's the issues of brake compatabilty and clearance (on some tight roadbikes). Bikes with disc brakes can usually swap back and forth as I understand it. Beyond this, we're talking alot more specifics needed for an accurate answer.
    1996 Bianchi Veloce
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3
    1992 Trek 700
    1992 Trek 820

  4. #4
    Retro Prairie Girl terraskye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    My Bikes
    78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwood View Post
    I'm gonna assume a few things here. I think you mean wheels and not just tires (tyres). Obviously a 26" tire will not fit a 700C wheel, but I don't think that's what you mean. In most cases a 26" wheel/tire combo will "fit" a bike that takes a 700C wheel but then there's the issues of brake compatabilty and clearance (on some tight roadbikes). Bikes with disc brakes can usually swap back and forth as I understand it. Beyond this, we're talking alot more specifics needed for an accurate answer.
    Maybe I'm confused then..I do get what you say about a 26inch tire(tyre) not fitting a 700c wheel. I guess my real question or to try and and clarify how could I tell if a hybrid bike would work with a 26in wheel/tire combo.

    Say like the Kona Dew or anything similar.
    ~Fiona~

    My Bikes:
    1978 Raleigh DL-1 "Eliza"
    '07 Specialized Globe City 7.1 "Serenity"
    Forthcoming
    2010 Pashley Princess Sovereign "Mina"

    Also, Check out my Bike Blog:)
    Girl Can Bike

  5. #5
    GO BIG RED norwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hastings,NE
    My Bikes
    1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
    Maybe I'm confused then..I do get what you say about a 26inch tire(tyre) not fitting a 700c wheel. I guess my real question or to try and and clarify how could I tell if a hybrid bike would work with a 26in wheel/tire combo.

    Say like the Kona Dew or anything similar.
    Well as I said, brakes may become the issue. If the Kona Dew (or similar) is equipped with disc brakes then as far as I know a set of 26" wheels (w/disc brakes of course) should work on that bike. A bike of the nature of the Kona Dew should have plenty of side clearance to accept most 26" tires. Without disc brakes equipped, then the brake pads won't line up to the braking surface of the 26" rim. The brake mounts on the frame would then have to be relocated. Probably not something I'd recommend. Bear in mind the frame geometry is designed for a particular wheel size, so you may not like how the bike handles after the swap is made, if it's even possible.
    1996 Bianchi Veloce
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3
    1992 Trek 700
    1992 Trek 820

  6. #6
    Retro Prairie Girl terraskye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    My Bikes
    78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwood View Post
    Well as I said, brakes may become the issue. If the Kona Dew (or similar) is equipped with disc brakes then as far as I know a set of 26" wheels (w/disc brakes of course) should work on that bike. A bike of the nature of the Kona Dew should have plenty of side clearance to accept most 26" tires. Without disc brakes equipped, then the brake pads won't line up to the braking surface of the 26" rim. The brake mounts on the frame would then have to be relocated. Probably not something I'd recommend. Bear in mind the frame geometry is designed for a particular wheel size, so you may not like how the bike handles after the swap is made, if it's even possible.
    Thanks for the assistance. I think I may have solved my problem ::fingers crossed::
    ~Fiona~

    My Bikes:
    1978 Raleigh DL-1 "Eliza"
    '07 Specialized Globe City 7.1 "Serenity"
    Forthcoming
    2010 Pashley Princess Sovereign "Mina"

    Also, Check out my Bike Blog:)
    Girl Can Bike

  7. #7
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,033
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
    Maybe I'm confused then..I do get what you say about a 26inch tire(tyre) not fitting a 700c wheel. I guess my real question or to try and and clarify how could I tell if a hybrid bike would work with a 26in wheel/tire combo.

    Say like the Kona Dew or anything similar.
    Some hybrids are designed for 26 inch wheels. Some are designed for 700c. Look at the catalog.

    ???

  8. #8
    Senior Member meanwhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,033
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwood View Post
    Well as I said, brakes may become the issue. If the Kona Dew (or similar) is equipped with disc brakes then as far as I know a set of 26" wheels (w/disc brakes of course) should work on that bike. A bike of the nature of the Kona Dew should have plenty of side clearance to accept most 26" tires. Without disc brakes equipped, then the brake pads won't line up to the braking surface of the 26" rim. The brake mounts on the frame would then have to be relocated. Probably not something I'd recommend. Bear in mind the frame geometry is designed for a particular wheel size, so you may not like how the bike handles after the swap is made, if it's even possible.
    Well, there is drop out spacing to consider:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html


    Good advice about the handling!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •