Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-04, 07:48 PM   #1
redfooj
pluralis majestatis
Thread Starter
 
redfooj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: you rope
Bikes: 20 W/st.
Posts: 3,356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
For the summer im taking classes at the local community college. The only bike rack they have is an "m" type rack where plumbing pipes comes out of the ground, bridges over 10 ft, and comes back down, with a few pipes in the middle of the structure just like a (lowercase) 'm' shape.

Anyways, since I can't hook my roadie over the rack, I lock them standing next to the vertical pipes. And often, when I lock it next to another bike, the owner of that bike manages to KNOCK MY BIKE OVER when he/she removes his/her bike.

*******S!!! Anytime I remove my bike, I make sure that I keep the adjacent bikes upright and stable... even if it's a piece of ****. But these *******s in their huffy cruisers and kiddie mongoose bmx's apparently do not care to reciprocate the respect.

My bike has a decent coat of paint on it and she's blue so scratches really stick out like a sore... I just had to wrap her TT with inner tube... I hope these fuggers blow their tires on a descend

redfooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:09 PM   #2
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stay away from busy bike racks. Look for streetlamps, railings, trees, any vertical object that can act as your personal parking space. Who says you have to use someone else's poor excuse for a bike rack? Park where you want. You're a bicyclist, not a motorist.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:16 PM   #3
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
*******S!!! Anytime I remove my bike, I make sure that I keep the adjacent bikes upright and stable... even if it's a piece of ****. But these *******s in their huffy cruisers and kiddie mongoose bmx's apparently do not care to reciprocate the respect.
Happened at our high school quite frequently. Then I just saved myself the trouble and locked at a parking sign. Of course we're not supopsed to do that (school rules), but we really do need more bike racks.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:26 PM   #4
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I always look for street signs and lamp posts that are fully bolted to the ground. I absolutely hate using the racks for the very reason you said. I had some a-wipe break open my kryptonite chain with his own kryptonite chain lock key (I don't know how he did it, and he did it 2 times, so it was no coincidence) and leave my bike unchained and suseptible to thieves right in the street because he was upset at how I'd chained up my bike. What a buttwipe. I decided right there it wasn't worth it to fight over a freakin space when there are plenty of lamps and signs all over the city I can chain my bike to for free. Besides, two of my bikes are like golden childs to me, and I don't want to see any scratches or dents on it. I also hate the idea of anyone touching my bike, and I would be inclined to break some fingers if I saw some grubby handed fool trying to move my bike or trying to tie their bike up next to mine and knock it over in the process.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:28 PM   #5
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
Happened at our high school quite frequently. Then I just saved myself the trouble and locked at a parking sign. Of course we're not supopsed to do that (school rules), but we really do need more bike racks.
People aren't supposed to bust up your stuff either. If someone gives you a hard time, just go park your bike somewhere off of school property and walk across the street to school.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:28 PM   #6
OregonBound
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
I always look for street signs and lamp posts that are fully bolted to the ground. I absolutely hate using the racks for the very reason you said. I had some a-wipe break open my kryptonite chain with his own kryptonite chain lock key (I don't know how he did it, and he did it 2 times, so it was no coincidence) and leave my bike unchained and suseptible to thieves right in the street because he was upset at how I'd chained up my bike.
Koffee
Just curious; how did he break your lock with his?

Paul
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:31 PM   #7
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBound
Just curious; how did he break your lock with his?

Paul
All locks (house, car, bike) have only a limited number of key configurations. It may be that Koffee happened to run across someone (however unlikely) who had the same key code as her.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:36 PM   #8
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supcom
All locks (house, car, bike) have only a limited number of key configurations. It may be that Koffee happened to run across someone (however unlikely) who had the same key code as her.
I don't think kryptonite makes keys with the same combinations. I do recall a while ago that someone had a way to compromise the kryptonite lock, opening it without destroying it.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:38 PM   #9
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I know he had a kryptonite lock like mine. That's how I first met him. He was cool back then. But then one day, I saw he'd moved my bike, and I could see he'd forced the lock to open it. The lock wasn't compromised, but it was clear he'd forced his key into my lock and managed to open the lock. He did it again, and I started double locking my bike and locking it to street signs. Dumbass.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 08:52 PM   #10
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
I know he had a kryptonite lock like mine. That's how I first met him. He was cool back then. But then one day, I saw he'd moved my bike, and I could see he'd forced the lock to open it. The lock wasn't compromised, but it was clear he'd forced his key into my lock and managed to open the lock. He did it again, and I started double locking my bike and locking it to street signs. Dumbass.

Koffee
You should write kryptonite about this. Cause I know a while ago, someone had come up with a way of compromising their locks without actually breaking it open and no one knew how or who was doing it.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 09:17 PM   #11
HalfHearted
Wide Load
 
HalfHearted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: North Texas, USA
Bikes: Trek 7300
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvoid
I don't think kryptonite makes keys with the same combinations. I do recall a while ago that someone had a way to compromise the kryptonite lock, opening it without destroying it.
All lock makers make locks with the same keys, even $60,000 automobiles. Depending on how many tumblers are in the lock there are generally fewer than a thousand or so combinations for a given key "blank."

Years ago I got in my locked car in a large mall parking lot. I had just put my key in the ignition and started the motor when I said, "hey, what jerk put a no-smoking sticker on the glove box?!" (This especially irritated me since I was a smoker at the time.) Then I said, "who dumped all that junk in my back seat?"

Talk about feeling sheepish, I was in the wrong car! My identical, but cleaner, car was parked one row away.

John
HalfHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 09:20 PM   #12
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised nobody has suggested getting yourself an old beater bike to ride to college. Given the crime rate at the university I attended, it would seem the only logical course of action.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 09:55 PM   #13
redfooj
pluralis majestatis
Thread Starter
 
redfooj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: you rope
Bikes: 20 W/st.
Posts: 3,356
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffee Brown
I know he had a kryptonite lock like mine. That's how I first met him. He was cool back then. But then one day, I saw he'd moved my bike, and I could see he'd forced the lock to open it. The lock wasn't compromised, but it was clear he'd forced his key into my lock and managed to open the lock. He did it again, and I started double locking my bike and locking it to street signs. Dumbass.

Koffee

take your key, force open HIS lock, move HIS bike.. and get yourself a new Ulock
redfooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-04, 10:14 PM   #14
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfooj
take your key, force open HIS lock, move HIS bike.. and get yourself a new Ulock
Haha good one.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-04, 04:19 PM   #15
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
take your key, force open HIS lock, move HIS bike.. and get yourself a new Ulock
........ lol.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-04, 06:18 PM   #16
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
You know, I really tried to do it, but I couldn't force it. I guess my fingers just aren't strong enough. Plus, I was freaked out he would walk up on me or something. Maybe I'll put a big old Hello Kitty sticker on it if I ever run across his bike again....

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.