I really need to get a new helmet and am tired of a few issues i've had on my last couple. In addition, i've come to recognize some possible features that i'd like in a new one. In the past i've always just picked up the cheapest one that fit me. Are there any additional features in higher-end helmets these days?
My size seems to be right in the average/medium range, but i have noticed that helmets seem to fit too far back on me. Not sure what that means.
Here are some criteria/questions i've come up with:
- The velcro attachment points for the adjustable pads inside the helmet all came off in the cold of winter. Not cool.
- The removable, so-called visor wasn't actually enough to provide shade. I'd like it to...otherwise it's pointless.
- I have a few bikes and would like to put lights on my helmet to minimize shuffling. Is there anything to look for to facilitate this? A dedicated mount bracket or something?
- Wind noise is pretty annoying and i've had someone point out the http://www.slipstreamz.com products. Is there a helmet with some kind of integrated wind baffles?
- I bike in the cold/rain a lot. I read that a helmet cover can be a great asset. Is this something that could/should come with a helmet?
I'd appreciate a discussion of these parameters as well as the actual merits of buying a more expensive helmet. What helmets would you recommend, and why? Thanks.