Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-04, 10:10 AM   #1
cajuntoast
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Helmet Styles

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to look for unusual helmet styles? I'm just not a fan of the molded space-age looking ones, I'm looking for something round and simple. I think style is important because I'm not going to wear it if I feel like a fool! I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places, but I can't find any variety in style.
cajuntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:46 AM   #2
countryrider
in the middle of nowhere
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New York Unversity, usually WI
Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you want a simple, round-style helmet look for an extreme sports helmet. Not a full cage, BMX jumping helmet, but a skateboarder type helmet. If you watch the X-games watch the skateboarders, and watch what a good deal of the BMX vert and park riders are wearing to see if you think they look silly or not. I for one do not think they look silly.
countryrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:51 AM   #3
cajuntoast
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a good idea. I like the look of those more. Do you think people would make fun of me if I was wearing a BMX helmet and riding a comfort bike to the grocery store?

P.S. This is along the lines of what I'm looking for, but it's a kid's helmet:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&v=glance

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrider
If you want a simple, round-style helmet look for an extreme sports helmet. Not a full cage, BMX jumping helmet, but a skateboarder type helmet. If you watch the X-games watch the skateboarders, and watch what a good deal of the BMX vert and park riders are wearing to see if you think they look silly or not. I for one do not think they look silly.
cajuntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:55 AM   #4
countryrider
in the middle of nowhere
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New York Unversity, usually WI
Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's something like what I was thinking of. People shouldn't make fun of you riding a bike with any helmet on. You ever see people wearing the $9.99 Wal-Mart specials? I have, and I have worn one before because it was what was available to protect my noggin. That helmet was freaking huge. Nobody said a word to me. I don't think they'll say anything to you either, and if they do just think of their ignorance. You're wearing it for safety reasons, and you like the look and feel of it. That's what's important. If you feel safe and comfortable you won't feel like a fool. Trust me.
countryrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 10:59 AM   #5
cajuntoast
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for sending me in the right direction.
I found these, I really like them!
http://www.xoomgear.com/mountainbike...railrider/432/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntoast
Does anyone have any recommendations for where to look for unusual helmet styles? I'm just not a fan of the molded space-age looking ones, I'm looking for something round and simple. I think style is important because I'm not going to wear it if I feel like a fool! I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places, but I can't find any variety in style.
cajuntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:01 AM   #6
cajuntoast
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know they shouldn't...and I guess if they start throwing things at me at least my head is protected
I actually like the more dorky and huge looking helmets, like the hot pink one I used to wear in the 80s, but I couldn't seem to find them. After looking a bit more I found these:
http://www.xoomgear.com/mountainbike...railrider/432/

I think I'll get one...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrider
That's something like what I was thinking of. People shouldn't make fun of you riding a bike with any helmet on. You ever see people wearing the $9.99 Wal-Mart specials? I have, and I have worn one before because it was what was available to protect my noggin. That helmet was freaking huge. Nobody said a word to me. I don't think they'll say anything to you either, and if they do just think of their ignorance. You're wearing it for safety reasons, and you like the look and feel of it. That's what's important. If you feel safe and comfortable you won't feel like a fool. Trust me.
cajuntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 11:07 AM   #7
countryrider
in the middle of nowhere
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New York Unversity, usually WI
Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That looks pretty good. I'm glad I could help you. Good luck.
countryrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:23 PM   #8
royalflash
Senior Member
 
royalflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Munich
Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
these type of helmets (round and smooth with few vents) might even be safer as they minimise the rotational impacts in an accident that lead to the worst brain injuries
royalflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 01:55 PM   #9
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Protec is a superior brand of bmx\skate helmet.
http://www.epinions.com/bike-Compone...-Pro_Tec_Brand
>jef.
jeff williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 AM.