Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Another "i got screwed" story..... :(

    I seem to have gotten screwed by www.totalcycling.com a vendor I have often touted here because of their fast shipping from Ireland to here, and their prices that are oftentimes even cheaper than PBK. However this story does not end well.

    August 2008 I purchased a complete Campagnolo Veloce 2007 Group from them which I installed on my road bike and it served me well for about a year. This August I managed to break the shift button on the left hand brifter (snapped it in half). I posted about it here and a forum member offered to fix it for a fee and have it back to me in 10 days (which is what i should have done). However I paid for a warranty right? Well I emailed totalcycling since Campy NA won't touch grey market stuff and they said no problem send it back by USPS and we will have it repaired. So I send it to them and they get it to Campy, and while I understand delays (and also the fact Italy takes a holiday in August), I stay in touch with them on a bi weekly basis to see where my shifter is at. I was dealing with a very nice person there named Emma who was trying to keep me apprised.

    That relationship ended on November 3rd when she stopped responding to emails. I emailed then as it was about 2 weeks after she had said they were supposed to get my shifter back in and I heard nothing. I figured give them time to sort stuff out. I emailed them again this past Monday very friendly asking if any status update is available on my shifter, and this has been a really long time so is there anything they could do to expedite it to me?

    I don't want a free new shifter I just want my old one back, hell send it back to me still broken I don't care, but I haven't touched my road bike since August and I was pretty sad all those nice September and October (and even some November!) days I couldn't take it out and just ride it around.

    So theres my story, they won't respond anymore and I need a new set of Veloce shifters apparently. Anyone else have this issue with Campy or Total Cycling ? Anyone live in Northern Ireland wanna pay them a visit for me?

    I did learn a lesson though... when a knowledgeable BF member offers to fix something for you for a more than reasonable fee in a more than reasonable amount of time, just do it, because apparently warranties for people who like to work on the bike themselves aren't worth the paper they are printed on...
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  2. #2
    long time visiter Alfster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ontario
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's always the danger when not buying locally. It's too easy for them to ignore you when they know you don't really have any recourse for poor, or non-existent service. Respond to them in a stern tone stating that one of your relatives will be dropping in to speak to his/her manager. Give them a specific date. Remind them that they still have your component, and you now consider this matter as theft since they refuse to send it back. May not work, however it will put doubt in their minds. Hopefully it will elicit a response from them.

    Btw, send the response through email and regular post.

  3. #3
    Fax Transport Specialist black_box's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    chicago burbs
    My Bikes
    '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post in a local forum, maybe someone can call them or pay them a visit?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  5. #5
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,529
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they offer a free new shifter?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfster View Post
    That's always the danger when not buying locally. It's too easy for them to ignore you when they know you don't really have any recourse for poor, or non-existent service. Respond to them in a stern tone stating that one of your relatives will be dropping in to speak to his/her manager. Give them a specific date. Remind them that they still have your component, and you now consider this matter as theft since they refuse to send it back. May not work, however it will put doubt in their minds. Hopefully it will elicit a response from them.

    Btw, send the response through email and regular post.
    Thats not a bad idea. I am probably gonna give that a try, I got nothing to lose anyway. If I don't get a response in like a month I'll just buy some new shifters on ebay....

    Quote Originally Posted by black_box View Post
    post in a local forum, maybe someone can call them or pay them a visit?
    Also not a bad idea as well, I could combine with idea #1.


    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Did they offer a free new shifter?
    They did not but I wouldn't expect them to replace with new a shifter I had for a year that I am admittedly hard on. However if I was running a business I would do whatever I needed to to honor the warranty of a customer who bought an expensive set of parts from me. I mean I bought $500 worth of stuff and I am captive to the fact I am on the other side of the planet. I mean even if by not screwing me they just got the damn thing back to me and I could just pay to get it fixed here and just consider the matter a wash....
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  7. #7
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering if Emma is no longer working there and nobody is getting to her file on your account...because they don't know what's going on.

    But someone should have replied to you anyway. Is there anyone else there, perhaps a main contact person you can try to tell the story to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Wondering if Emma is no longer working there and nobody is getting to her file on your account...because they don't know what's going on.

    But someone should have replied to you anyway. Is there anyone else there, perhaps a main contact person you can try to tell the story to?
    Unfortunately not. While Emma told me her name, the email address that is used is orders@totalcycling.com which is the only email address on their site, so I would assume if shes not there someone else is access the email address.
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  9. #9
    Senior Member CNY James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so they offered you a new shifter and you declined? Sorry but that doesnt make sense to me... odds are, they were just going to send your old one back to campy and get a credit or a new one sent back to them. Sounds to me like they were trying to "wow" you with service and you declined, now you are at the mercy of them and campy... if you feel guilty about the roughness by which you handle the part, why even ask them to fix the part? you should've taken the new one when it was offered to you and come back here with a story about how great they were & went beyond your expectations, and been back on the bike in August.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CNY James View Post
    so they offered you a new shifter and you declined? Sorry but that doesnt make sense to me... odds are, they were just going to send your old one back to campy and get a credit or a new one sent back to them. Sounds to me like they were trying to "wow" you with service and you declined, now you are at the mercy of them and campy... if you feel guilty about the roughness by which you handle the part, why even ask them to fix the part? you should've taken the new one when it was offered to you and come back here with a story about how great they were & went beyond your expectations, and been back on the bike in August.
    Um what? They never ever offered me a new part, they asked me to send it back and I did and they supposedly sent it to Campy for repair. Haven't seen it since....
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  11. #11
    Senior Member CNY James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
    Um what? They never ever offered me a new part, they asked me to send it back and I did and they supposedly sent it to Campy for repair. Haven't seen it since....
    i misread that... i saw where the guy asked an only where you responded with "they did" and didnt read beyond to "not"

  12. #12
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a different route. http://www.totalcycling.com/contact/
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  13. #13
    Gunner. robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I haven't touched my road bike since August and I was pretty sad all those nice September and October (and even some November!) days I couldn't take it out and just ride it around.
    Really? Buy a cheapo shifter from Nashbar and be done with it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    Really? Buy a cheapo shifter from Nashbar and be done with it.
    And what would that get me? Why would I waste money on a cheapo nashbar shifter when I was expecting my shifter to be sent back to me "at any time"? I do have other bikes, I did ride them, but I like THIS bike and it was broken. Sometimes I hate this place for the ******** responses like this...
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  15. #15
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I'm trying to help you!! Did you see my link to another way to contact them?

    Any luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Hey I'm trying to help you!! Did you see my link to another way to contact them?

    Any luck?
    I totally appreciate that just that one guys response I quoted I didn't like. The form goes to that same email address I am using. As well I'd suppose mailing them a letter won't do much so I will try and call, but of course my cable phone doesn't allow international calls, so I need to go get a calling card LOL. This is like a comedy of errors!

    PS in a "should have taken my mountain bike" moment I managed to hit the side of my garage with my car yesterday in the snow when the rearend stepped out.
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  17. #17
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,473
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops didn't know that it led to the same email. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  18. #18
    Gunner. robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
    And what would that get me? Why would I waste money on a cheapo nashbar shifter when I was expecting my shifter to be sent back to me "at any time"? I do have other bikes, I did ride them, but I like THIS bike and it was broken. Sometimes I hate this place for the ******** responses like this...
    Well you can get a set of brifters for about $120 when they are on sale. I'd rather shell that out than be off the bike for 3 months.... That's just me though.

    And what do I know... I only run the Nashabr brifters on my bike and they work flawlessly. Just trying to help.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    Well you can get a set of brifters for about $120 when they are on sale. I'd rather shell that out than be off the bike for 3 months.... That's just me though.

    And what do I know... I only run the Nashabr brifters on my bike and they work flawlessly. Just trying to help.
    Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. Its the attitude this place inspires sometimes. But in all seriousness, my bike is all Campagnolo and the stuff is basically brand new. I was in consistent contact with these guys until mid november with a "next week" response every couple weeks. So I just can't see spending money to replace them when I should have had them back "next week". By the time they stopped replying "next week" was mid November anyway where I rarely if ever ride in the winter. So at this point I have some time till it gets warm to search for a good deal on some replacements, since I will likely be giving up on these efforts.

    What I should have done is just paid a forum member who offered $60 to repair the broken shifter instead of trying to warranty it. Never again.....
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Freeport, NY
    My Bikes
    1992 Trek Antelope 800, 2009 Mercier Galaxy AL
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as an update, threatening to send someone there has elicited a response. Lets see where this goes... not like I have anything to lose!
    2009 BD Mercier Galaxy AL/Campy Veloce/PZ Aero Bars/Fulcrum 5's
    2008 Argon 18 Mercury/Dura Ace/Vision base Zipp Aero/Fulcrum 5's/Wheelbuilder Disc
    1992 Trek Antelope 800/Shimano 100/Some Cheap 26"wheel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •