Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with my next bike

    so i've been riding for a year now and love it
    my bike is a low quality aluminum road bike i got at a garage sale but dont let it fool you!
    i put over 200 miles on it the first two months and its still in great shape!
    so i decided for the new year i want to save money for an awesome road bike
    im still learning and still call myself a newbie so anything under $700 dollars would be ideal
    of course i would need to get fit for one so im asking for you help on great brands that dont cost me an arm and a leg!
    thanks for the help

  2. #2
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,409
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $700 is the limiting factor here. No matter what the brand, for a new road bike, you're looking at their entry-level bike--probably not much different than what you already have. At that price point, the similarities between bikes will far outweigh any differences. None of them will be bad choices either, and all will be significant improvements on a Pacific or a Denali. That goes for top tier like Trek, Giant and Specialized as well as for two dozen other second tier makers. Not a single one of them is a bad bike, and they'll all be equipped with similar if not identical components.

    I have a ten-year-old Trek 1000 (their entry-level road bike at the time) that I bought used three years ago, that I still ride and love. A third of my total miles in each of the last three years have been on that bike--about 1,500 this year.

    Now, don't take this the wrong way: 100 miles a month isn't a lot. But, 100 miles a month is 100 more than most Americans ride. I never planned on ever riding more than 100 miles a month. It wasn't that long ago that a five-mile ride for me was a real achievement. At that level, it was my second-hand, entry-level Trek that really ignited my passion for cycling.

    But, if you're already on a roll, and already have a budget aluminum bike, and have limited funds, ride what you have (your Scattante?) while you scour Craigslist or Ebay for something five to seven years old that was a $2,000 bike at the time. As a group, mass-produced bikes don't hold their value well. (With the possible exception of custom-built bikes or stratospherically-priced boutique bling bikes.) Depending on your area and your luck, you could pick up a really nice rig for that same $700 and still get change back, which could be used for repairs or upgrades (or a really good lock.)

    Still, in order for it to be a good buy, you'll need to learn more about your riding preferences, figure out what size fits you best, and learn the similarities and differences between the different component groups.

    That's the advice I followed and I feel I was well-served by it. My budget at the time was even tighter than yours. But buying something decent used first, let me skip the $700 entry-level bikes and save my money for a really nice bike a year later. And I still have and ride that first bike.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  3. #3
    Senior Member garethzbarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kimpo, S. Korea
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert 09
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what he said ^. also when I was shopping for my bike I noticed some really nice vintage bikes on ebay. Do some research on older bikes. There are some 1970 to 1980s bikes out there that were built to last forever. Every once and a while I'd see an old beautiful steel bike with no reserve go for super cheap.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that really helps me out so much thanks guys
    i do have 2 cheap bikes but it gets the job done
    and my scattante is amazing too. its used and i got a great deal on it.
    i guess i want a million bikes is all haha but i appreciate the detailed answer, tsl and the back up from garetnzbarker.
    i totally agree too 100 miles/month is nothing but and i plan on riding more with the denali too.
    every week i switch up between my scattante and the denali and i love what i have and am thankful for them too.
    my main goal is to have a brand new bike. something i can be proud of because i saved every penny for it ya know?
    the denali i picked up at a garage sale for 15 bucks haha
    the scattante i got for 200 bucks cuz i knew the guy who sold it to me
    so i wanna save every dime for a brand new one!
    again thanks for the help guys i appreciate it!

  5. #5
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Posts
    13,695
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shop around at a few bike shops. You can find a decent road bike for $700. My favorite shop sells a lot of these.
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...turasport.html


    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/sport/


    There are several brands that have similar bikes at similar prices.
    Let us know what you get.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.

    Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

  6. #6
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,409
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    i totally agree too 100 miles/month is nothing
    I never said that. I did say that while 100 miles a month isn't a lot, it is 100 miles more than most Americans ride. On the other hand, ever heard of a "century" ride? That's 100 miles in a single ride (with appropriate stops). I fondly remember the pride I felt at the completion of my first century.

    That 100 miles a month level, BTW, is right about where most people decide to move from just any old bike into something better. So you're right on the curve.

    I can also relate to saving for something new. Yeah, my first road bike, that ten-year-old Trek 1000 cost me $100 used, and twice that in repairs. (It was really beat up.) I love that bike, three years down the line. I also remember saving $1,700 for my second road bike, and how good it felt to ride it home from the bike shop that first morning. Two years down the line, I still love that bike too.

    Even so, I'm saving for a third…
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member garethzbarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kimpo, S. Korea
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert 09
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a kind of a sore subject on this forum sometimes but you might consider something like this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
    Some people like this company and some don't be sure to research and be comfortable. But if you were planning on going the internet route anyway these guys have some good deals. You can actually get into 105 components for 700$ You can get a steel frame for like 750 and their first carbon is a little less than 1k Personally, I've wanted to get one of their cheap steel touring bikes for a while now.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have acceptable bikes, ride them more and you will then know from your experience esactly what you want, You wont get the answer to your question here - you may want different gearing, stiffer frame, more agile steering, more relaxed ride. $700 wont get you anything significantly different from what you have now, so save more money while you decide exactly what you need. Go to bike shops while they are not busy and test ride bikes with different geometries to find out how they feel.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I never said that. I did say that while 100 miles a month isn't a lot, it is 100 miles more than most Americans ride. On the other hand, ever heard of a "century" ride? That's 100 miles in a single ride (with appropriate stops). I fondly remember the pride I felt at the completion of my first century.

    That 100 miles a month level, BTW, is right about where most people decide to move from just any old bike into something better. So you're right on the curve.

    I can also relate to saving for something new. Yeah, my first road bike, that ten-year-old Trek 1000 cost me $100 used, and twice that in repairs. (It was really beat up.) I love that bike, three years down the line. I also remember saving $1,700 for my second road bike, and how good it felt to ride it home from the bike shop that first morning. Two years down the line, I still love that bike too.

    Even so, I'm saving for a third…
    i know you didnt but still most people do sooo much more than me..
    i totally want to ride a century soon but i need more experience and training.
    i want to still fix up the bikes i have too and repair them when needed also
    and thanks for relating to me! i want that exact feeling knowing i did a good investment with my money!

  10. #10
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    You have acceptable bikes, ride them more and you will then know from your experience esactly what you want, You wont get the answer to your question here - you may want different gearing, stiffer frame, more agile steering, more relaxed ride. $700 wont get you anything significantly different from what you have now, so save more money while you decide exactly what you need. Go to bike shops while they are not busy and test ride bikes with different geometries to find out how they feel.
    thank you and i am learning more about the types of gearing and what not that conforms to me. i think that your right and i will definitely just save more money for something better later on

  11. #11
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,477
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chrizzle! *waves*

    I know it's exciting thinking of a new bike right now but I have a suggestion - why don't you save a bit more for a little while? Your bikes are fine right now and within the next two months or so you will be able to find some pretty good deals on 2009 bikes! That way you can get a little bit more for your money and won't feel the need to upgrade right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  12. #12
    Senior Member iforgotmename's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,531
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save another $ 300 and get a Surly

  13. #13
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Hi Chrizzle! *waves*

    I know it's exciting thinking of a new bike right now but I have a suggestion - why don't you save a bit more for a little while? Your bikes are fine right now and within the next two months or so you will be able to find some pretty good deals on 2009 bikes! That way you can get a little bit more for your money and won't feel the need to upgrade right away.
    hi buddy! *waves back* thanks for the advice ill for sure follow it.
    ill let you know what i come across when the time comes!
    thanks again to you and everyone!

  14. #14
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your current bike has got you into cycling and for that use it has been ideal. But $700 will not buy you a much better bike. Might be a different colour- but weight of the new one and components fitted to it will not be much better.

    Upgrading your current bike's components wouldn't help either as all you will still have is an old bike that doesn't work any better.

    BUT-- one thing that could probably improve your current steed is a better quality wheel set. Not talking off the shelf- cost an arm or a leg- or a cheaper set that would not be an improvement over what you currently have. I am talking a hand built set of Ultegra hubs fitted to Mavic Open Pro or CXP33 rims. There are plenty of quality builders around that could do you a set of these wheels for around $200. Still a lot of money- but there is a difference. These wheels will improve your bike- and on top of that can be transferred to your new bike when you get it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  15. #15
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree i decided that i will just save my money for 3 months and see what i have. if too little then ill continue saving. my goal now for a road bike is $1500
    think i can do it?

  16. #16
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    i agree i decided that i will just save my money for 3 months and see what i have. if too little then ill continue saving. my goal now for a road bike is $1500
    think i can do it?

    You can get plenty of bike for $1500, and even the $700 that you originally budgeted. My first road bike was an Allez Sport somewhere around $800 IIRC. It was a good bike that got the job done until I started riding enough to wear the cheap wheels out. That's where they really skimp. I went looking for new wheels and ended up getting sold on a whole new bike, a Carbon Giant TCR that was still only $2000. Bikes don't have to be expensive, and there is no sense in spending too much money when you aren't familiar enough to really know what you want and/or need.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,479
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bikes don't have to be expensive, and there is no sense in spending too much money when you aren't familiar enough to really know what you want and/or need
    Yep. You really need to ride, read, and talk to others to make decisions on what's best for you. Too many people buy new bikes based on the salesperson's preferences and then want something else later.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  18. #18
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While yoiu're saving up I would continue scouting Craigslist. I can't sell my wife's virtually brand new (<1000 miles) Giant OCR1 for $700 so I'm just going to keep lowering the price. I'm sure when I hit $500 I'll find a taker: message is that there are some good deals out there. The only reason we're selling the bike is that it simply doesn't fit my wife. We bought our bikes at a mass merchandise BS. Important Lesson: online I'm sure is fine if you know what you want, but I would really recommend a good LBS. Some of the money you save online will get used paying for fit adjustments, new stems, etc. I know I paid more for my wife's new bike at our LBS, but the relationship is important and I need to keep him in business.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  19. #19
    umd
    umd is offline
    Banned umd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT
    Posts
    28,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    While yoiu're saving up I would continue scouting Craigslist. I can't sell my wife's virtually brand new (<1000 miles) Giant OCR1 for $700 so I'm just going to keep lowering the price. I'm sure when I hit $500 I'll find a taker: message is that there are some good deals out there. The only reason we're selling the bike is that it simply doesn't fit my wife. We bought our bikes at a mass merchandise BS. Important Lesson: online I'm sure is fine if you know what you want, but I would really recommend a good LBS. Some of the money you save online will get used paying for fit adjustments, new stems, etc. I know I paid more for my wife's new bike at our LBS, but the relationship is important and I need to keep him in business.
    In your case it would probably be more cost effective to buy a new frame that is the correct size and transfer the components, rather than taking a bath on selling the complete bike, then buying another complete bike. The only problem is that it is generally the higher end bikes that are available as framesets, so it may be more money, but it will still be a better "deal."

  20. #20
    Senior Member cycleheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York Metro Area
    My Bikes
    1995 Trek 720 Multi-Track, 1994 Cannondale M600, 1991 Schwinn CrossCut, 1984 Raleigh Touring 18, 1981 Fuji S12S (18 spd), 1978 Bridgestone Kabuki Diamond Touring
    Posts
    3,390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A straight road bike without braze-ons for connecting racks and fenders?

    If so, bounce this one around:

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_201512

    Nashbar advertises it at $599 on sale from $899, but they often have special !0% off, 20% off, sometimes special 30% off deals. At one point I was thinking of buying one (even though I didn't need it) because I could have gotten it on a special deal (due to a problem they had with credit cards, ouch!) from them for $420 plus S&H. They always have great deals going on. I have owned a Nashbar road bike, and was very pleased with it. If you can get one of their special deals on it, bounce it by the other members for their opinion.

  21. #21
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have found good bikes under 700
    as of now i do have money saved up but i dont want to rush on buying it.
    and since im still new-ish im trying to decide if i want something epic or something a little bit above the bikes i have already.
    the bike shops around my area arent really friendly to newbs otherwise id go in and look.
    umd, thanks too i always thought the more expensive a bike was the more epic it was.
    for me its the simplest bike i can find that will get the job done. i guess i was thinking on a champagne budget!
    this all helped, now ill have to do my own research on what i like and what fits my needS

  22. #22
    tsl
    tsl is offline
    Plays in traffic tsl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Posts
    6,409
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    now ill have to do my own research on what i like and what fits my needS
    And that is the best course to follow. It's different for everyone. So ride lots, and pay attention to yourself (and the road of course). You'll figure out what you want and need.

    It took me 1,500 miles on my first bike to figure out that I really wanted a road bike. It took 3,000 miles on that first road bike (the used Trek for $100) to figure out what I wanted in an everyday commuter. I've got just shy of 10,000 miles on that bike and wouldn't change a thing--and it's a bike that initially, I didn't think would be right for me. I'm glad I took my time and learned before committing to big bucks.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin


    Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

  23. #23
    Senior Member ChrizzleDizzle6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    conejo valley
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    And that is the best course to follow. It's different for everyone. So ride lots, and pay attention to yourself (and the road of course). You'll figure out what you want and need.

    It took me 1,500 miles on my first bike to figure out that I really wanted a road bike. It took 3,000 miles on that first road bike (the used Trek for $100) to figure out what I wanted in an everyday commuter. I've got just shy of 10,000 miles on that bike and wouldn't change a thing--and it's a bike that initially, I didn't think would be right for me. I'm glad I took my time and learned before committing to big bucks.
    thats so cool and awesome of you to share
    thanks so much so now i know that there is no rush and to just enjoy what i have.
    although a brand new bike sounds amazing, id rather not waste the money if all it will do is sit in my garage.
    so ill continue with my two road bikes that i have until im ready for a new one!
    thanks again for relating to me i appreciate it

  24. #24
    Senior Member dynodonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,788
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrizzleDizzle6 View Post
    thats so cool and awesome of you to share
    thanks so much so now i know that there is no rush and to just enjoy what i have.
    although a brand new bike sounds amazing, id rather not waste the money if all it will do is sit in my garage.
    so ill continue with my two road bikes that i have until im ready for a new one!
    thanks again for relating to me i appreciate it
    Yes, if a bike(s) meets your need, you really shouldn't have to get a new one, and my reasons for get any new bike was due to my ever evolving commuting needs. My main winter commuter started life as a 300 dollar hybrid that I purchased several years ago, but over that time, it showed numerous shortcomings. When I do purchase a new winter commuter, I now have more input in deciding what I want in my next bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •