Last night I was out with a group of riders and while they were enthusiastic, fast riders they were doing incredibly dangerous things on the road. Now, this is not a racing group or anything like that, just a group of like-minded riders who decided to get together for a night ride.
Some of the stuff they were doing included:
- blowing past red lights
- almost no hand signaling
- no looking over shoulders before changing lanes
- crossing intersections while in the wrong position of the lane so that they cycle across the lane to get to the outside where they belong
- leaders who zoom off without the rest of the group
- passing indiscriminately
- sidling (past me) into the blind spots of trucks and buses while at reds
- weaving side to side in the lane
Now, I don't normally ride with groups so I have very limited experience with riding with anyone else (my normal bicycling partner would have freaked but she's a racer) so maybe this is typical of all group rides? All I kept thinking was that this group was asking for an accident soon because car traffic here in Singapore is pretty fast and heavy.
So, should I just not ride with these people and just do it myself? Am I being too critical? I love night riding and there is safety in numbers, one of the good things about this group is that they have a lot of lights on but nothing will save you if you're in a blind spot somewhere.