Last year, I got a Schwinn hybrid (it had Avenue in its name; I'm thinking Fifth Avenue, but that's a candy bar) and the cassette broke within a month (the bearings fell out). I was wondering if I should take it to the bike shop to get it repaired (after all, the brakes also squeak) or to buy a new one.
Here's what I think are the pros of each option:
Have my bike repaired:
* I already have the handlebars and seat adjusted.
* I already have the bell and taillight mounted.
* I don't have to go through the awful selection process at the LBS (that's what got me to get one online in the first place; the LBS is a terribly uncomfortable place (of course, most places are uncomfortable to us with agoraphobia, but it was above average in its uncomfortableness)).
Getting a new bike:
* Maybe it will come with better parts (will better parts be available for my existing bike?).
* I don't have to lug my unridable bike all the way down to the bike shop (it must be ten miles).
Any comments or suggestions?