Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   saddle forward or saddle backward? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/629048-saddle-forward-saddle-backward.html)

CNY James 03-16-10 06:16 PM

saddle forward or saddle backward?
 
ive put a few rides in with my "new" built bike, fine tuning the fit. I've noticed I find myself scooting back on the saddle. should I move it forward or backward to correct the fit issue? i feel like i can make sense of both adjustments. I know I can use trial and error but I'd rather just do it and be done.

Thanks in advance!

BlazingPedals 03-16-10 06:49 PM

If it were me, I'd consider tilting the nose up just a bit. That way you're less likely to slide down onto the nose. The fore/aft adjustment is to get the knee over the pedal.

CNY James 03-16-10 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 10535688)
If it were me, I'd consider tilting the nose up just a bit. That way you're less likely to slide down onto the nose. The fore/aft adjustment is to get the knee over the pedal.

its already slightly elevated...

BarracksSi 03-16-10 08:20 PM

Decide whether you're scooting back to fit the rest of your body or scooting back to find a comfortable spot for your butt.

flatlander_48 03-17-10 12:00 PM

Well, backward would require a 180 deg rotation of your hips. Sounds a touch painful...

MichaelW 03-17-10 02:43 PM

The saddle for-aft position should be in relation to the pedal. You can measure that distance horizontally along the top tube.
Bikes can vary in their crank length and seat-tube angle which adds variation to the for-aft distance. Seatposts also vary in layback, the clamp position in relation to the post axis.
By measuring the saddle to pedal distance directly, you eliminate all these issues.
In the olden days, custom builders used to adjust the seat-tube angle for each customer. Some builders still do this. Most people can get stock frames to fit by selection of suitable layback in the post.

Some time trial bikes have reversable posts so you move the saddle through a wide range horizontally for different events.
Look used to make a seatpost with extra horizontal movement for use as a fitting tool.

Nermal 03-17-10 03:08 PM

Assuming the tilt is right, move it forwards. Your butt knows where it wants to be, so make the saddle conform to your body. Always make the bike fit your body. Don't try to make your body fit the bike.

Nermal 03-17-10 03:10 PM

Oh, yeah. I didn't notice the post from BarracksSi. That's another consideration.

CNY James 03-18-10 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nermal (Post 10539688)
Assuming the tilt is right, move it forwards. Your butt knows where it wants to be, so make the saddle conform to your body. Always make the bike fit your body. Don't try to make your body fit the bike.

this makes sense. I will give it a try.

Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow after work. my luck wasnt so great last night or tonight :( I'll post back with my results

BarracksSi 03-18-10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNY James (Post 10545827)
this makes sense. I will give it a try.

Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow after work. my luck wasnt so great last night or tonight :( I'll post back with my results

Just thought of this, prompted by the "my hands go numb" thread (I think it was over in Road Cycling, if not here) --

If you slide it forward a bit, see if you end up with more weight on your hands.

It's possible that your lower body actually works better towards the rear of the saddle as it was positioned when you started this thread, and you could stand to have the bars a bit closer to you.

Just a thought...

CNY James 03-19-10 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarracksSi (Post 10545926)
Just thought of this, prompted by the "my hands go numb" thread (I think it was over in Road Cycling, if not here) --

If you slide it forward a bit, see if you end up with more weight on your hands.

It's possible that your lower body actually works better towards the rear of the saddle as it was positioned when you started this thread, and you could stand to have the bars a bit closer to you.

Just a thought...

that thread wasnt mine, i've never posted in the road forum.

I moved the seat forward slightly and todays ride was far more comfortable than the previous 3. I'll stick with it for now... gonna have to readjust when I buy my new saddle & post. (sigh)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 PM.