I haven't ridden a bike in years. I've always wanted to start up again but its a big investment and I want to make sure I get the right bike for me. Can someone give me some good suggestions? I took these questions from this sites FAQ hoping it would help me narrow down options.
1. What kind of riding do you want to do and where? Strictly on pavement? Smooth dirt paths and pavement? Rugged mountain trails?
I really like the idea of biking on trails in the woods but I also want to be able to bike to work or the store. I think I would spend most of my time on the roads because I want to slowly start using less of my car to get around. But I also want be able to ride the trails on weekends or evenings. I'm not much for speed or racing over long distances.
2. What kind of seating position do you think you’d prefer? Racing handlebar leaned-over, leaning slightly, upright?
I am not sure what seating I want as of yet. I only have used a bike with racing handlebars once before and I remember I didn't like it. I am more used to the mountain bike style.
3. How far per ride? Recreational short trips under 10 miles? More frequent rides of 10 - 20 miles? Many longer rides?
Under 10 miles seems like a good estimate at this time. It's been year since I have ridden a bike, so I have to get back in shape. I may start taking longer rides if I can handle it. But for now under 10 seems like a good start.
4. Do you have a bike now? What would you like to change about it?
No. Still shopping and researching.
5. How rough are you (or your child) going to be? How rugged a bike do you need?
I would like a bike that is tough enough to handle unpaved tails in the woods and can support me, 5'11'', 225bls. But also be light enough to bike around town in a fair amount of time.
6. Will you ride alone or with someone else? What style(s) of bikes do your friends ride, and where?
My girlfriend has her old bike that is bit like a mountain bike and she also would like to do some trials and be able to bike around the cities. I also have friends who live in downtown area's that have road bikes.
7. Due to rider’s age, will the bike be outgrown size-wise or use-wise?
Unless I am shrinking or doing roids I don't think it will out grow my bike any time soon.
8. How much do you want to spend (after investigating your choices)?
I don't want to spend more than 500-600.
I feel I should mention I live in MN and probably won't be able to use my bike 3-4 months every year. This could change if I get ambitious enough to start biking in the winter Also, no mountains, just hills and trails. I would like to get a mountain bike mostly because it's what I used to ride when I was a kid. But I want to regret it if I end up doing more road travel than trials because of where I may end up living next. So I need help finding the right bike for me. I tried going to some of the local shops around my apartment but I didn't get many answers, just people trying to sell me a bike.
Would it just be easier to get a mountain bike and a set of road tiers? If I got a MB with disk breaks would I need to buy a kit to changes the breaks with the tires? I appreciate your suggestions.