Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-10, 10:48 PM   #1
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it a Track Bike with multiple gears or something else?

Hi, first post. I've been bicycling for years, but I'm new to all the technical details and such. Please be gentle.

I'm not quite sure how to ask this, because I don't know the right terminology.

I want one of those bikes that look like fixies, but I want one that has a freewheel and gears. I think what I'm looking for is called a track bike, but when I search for "track bike" I only get fixed geared track bikes. I know the bike I'm describing exists because I saw some guy with one once.

Maybe if I describe what I want in a bike one of you might be able to help me.

Here's what I want from this bike:
-I want it to be super lightweight, but not super expensive
-I want it to have 700c wheels because I want it to have very little resistance/friction from contact with the road
-I want to ride to and from work 13 miles round trip over residential and city streets with some hills along the way only on days with fair weather
-I want it to be able to carry items because I want to run errands to the grocery store, bank, etc.
-I want to ride for recreation

Thanks for any help
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:05 PM   #2
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I'm getting the picture of a fixed gear bicycle made into a three or eight speed with an internal hub. I think there is a manufacturer who makes a drop bar eight speed hub bike, but I'm not so sure about a three speed.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:17 PM   #3
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply, Steve

The bike I saw that guy riding had regular gears, not an internal hub. That's the only way I could tell he had gears. I don't think would have been able to tell if he had multiple gears if he had an internal gear hub. He was moving at the time I saw his bike.
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:35 PM   #4
CaptainCool
``````````````
 
CaptainCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: san jose
Bikes:
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're describing a road bike. What parts of road bikes do you dislike?
CaptainCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:50 PM   #5
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic
 
Jeff Wills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: other Vancouver
Bikes:
Posts: 7,944
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
Here's what I want from this bike:
-I want it to be super lightweight, but not super expensive
-I want it to have 700c wheels because I want it to have very little resistance/friction from contact with the road
-I want to ride to and from work 13 miles round trip over residential and city streets with some hills along the way only on days with fair weather
-I want it to be able to carry items because I want to run errands to the grocery store, bank, etc.
-I want to ride for recreation

Thanks for any help
A track bike has a single gear, usually "fixed", i.e. coasting is not possible. A bike with multiple gears, by definition, is not a a track bike, because track bikes are not allowed to have multiple gears.

What you are describing might be called a "road" bike, but my Gold Rush recumbent also fits your requirements:
http://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/jeff-grr/index.htm . There are many different bikes that would suit your needs.
__________________
Jeff Wills

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Jeff Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:51 PM   #6
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Murray Eliminator 10 Speed road bike. I think it's from the 1970's.

Mainly I want a lighter bike with skinnier tires. My bike has 26 X 1 3/8 tires.

Also I find that I don't need all 10 gears. I usually only use 2 or 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mynewride..jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 11:55 PM   #7
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess what I want is a road bike with multiple gears that uses a track bike frame and 700c wheels. Is something like that possible?
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 12:12 AM   #8
pacificaslim
Surf Bum
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pacifica, CA
Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.
Posts: 2,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure. Basically all road bikes use 700c wheels. And you can get a road bike frame that has track frame geometry but a rear derailleur hanger, or you can use an actual track frame and use an adapter piece to hold the rear derailleur. But why are you convinced you want/need a "track" frame instead of "road" frame in the first place?

Maybe you can spend some time on http://velospace.org/node looking at pictures of bikes and that will help you zero in on what you are looking for.

BTW, if you want to carry stuff on the bike, are you going to just use a backpack/messenger-bag or do you want to actually attach stuff to the bike? If so, you're getting even further away from track bike.
pacificaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 12:17 AM   #9
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificaslim View Post
Sure. Basically all road bikes use 700c wheels. And you can get a road bike frame that has track frame geometry but a rear derailleur hanger, or you can use an actual track frame and use an adapter piece to hold the rear derailleur. But why are you convinced you want/need a "track" frame instead of "road" frame in the first place?
My road bike doesn't use 700c wheels. It uses 26 X 1 3/8 wheels.
I'm only interested in track/fixie frames because I was under the impression that they are lighter than road bike frames.
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 05:42 AM   #10
Doug5150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: IL-USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
My road bike doesn't use 700c wheels. It uses 26 X 1 3/8 wheels.
I'm only interested in track/fixie frames because I was under the impression that they are lighter than road bike frames.
If a track frame is lighter, it's usually because it is custom-built for a lighter-weight rider, and also isn't built to take the pounding of poor roads it would get in real-world use.

The more "traditional" looking frames use small-diameter steel tubes, if that helps your search.

If you really want an old-looking bike but don't want the hassle of buying vintage, there is the Eastman India roadsters from Yellowjersey: http://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML ....but..... be warned that these bikes aren't light and use odd (vintage) parts sizes. You also may have practical problems if you wish to do things like update from the rod brakes, the stem/handlebars or the wheels (rims). I would think that you could switch to different rims and spread the back end of the frame for an 8-speed hub; you *might* be able to switch to using roller-brake hubs but you'd want to inquire about that before buying.... But hey, if you want vintage-looking-but-new, it is out there and the delivery guy can drop a piece of it on your doorstep.
~
Doug5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 07:32 AM   #11
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
I have a Murray Eliminator 10 Speed road bike. I think it's from the 1970's.

Mainly I want a lighter bike with skinnier tires. My bike has 26 X 1 3/8 tires.

Also I find that I don't need all 10 gears. I usually only use 2 or 3.
Have you looked at bikes in a decent bike shop recently? Compared to your '70's "ten speed racing bike", you would find no lack of lighter bikes in multiple styles. Forget track bikes but don't limit yourself to road bikes.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 11:12 AM   #12
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to post this, bikesdirect.com, has a 5-speed internal hub road bike.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 11:17 AM   #13
KevinF
Keep on climbing
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Marlborough, Massachusetts
Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
My road bike doesn't use 700c wheels. It uses 26 X 1 3/8 wheels.
I'm only interested in track/fixie frames because I was under the impression that they are lighter than road bike frames.
Couple things here... The weight of the frame is pretty small compared to the weight of the overall bike. i.e., once you're finished adding on gears, brakes, saddle, handlebars, etc, the weight is going from three or four pounds up to around 20. In turn, the weight of the whole bike is pretty minimal compared to the weight of what it's carrying -- i.e., you. So don't get too concerned about a pound here and a pound there. Unless you're racing, you'll never notice the difference.

As for track / fixie frames. A "real" track / fixie frame is very different then a road-bike frame in three areas:
1) All "real" track frames, and most fixie frames have 120mm of space that the rear wheel needs to slide into. All modern road bike rear wheels (i.e., wheels with gears) are 130mm wide. i.e., geared rear wheels simply don't fit into track bike frames.

2) Real track and most fixie frames don't have any attachment points for rear derailleurs. i.e., even if you could get a geared rear wheel to fit, there's no way to attach a shifting mechanism to the frame.

3) Real track and most fixie frames are fairly "twitchy". i.e., they're designed to be extremely agile, something's that useful if you're navigating crowded city streets (i.e., a car cuts you off, you can easily go around it). Or if you're racing on a track, agility makes it easy to get around your opponent, etc. That agility isn't necessarily a good thing if you're just out riding though.
KevinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 11:49 AM   #14
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You dont want an expensive bike so I think this would suit you. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...iragesport.htm You could carry cash from the bank, but not groceries. This one would allow you to attach a rack at the back for your groceries http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1200.htm Prices are good but you should first talk to a bike shop about assembling and adjusting it for you, which might cost $50- $70.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 06:16 PM   #15
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering an internal gear hub with coaster brake for this bike now after suggestions from others on this thread. Thanks
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 06:26 PM   #16
CNY James
Senior Member
 
CNY James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY
Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5150 View Post

If you really want an old-looking bike but don't want the hassle of buying vintage, there is the Eastman India roadsters from Yellowjersey: http://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML ....but..... be warned that these bikes aren't light and use odd (vintage) parts sizes. You also may have practical problems if you wish to do things like update from the rod brakes, the stem/handlebars or the wheels (rims). I would think that you could switch to different rims and spread the back end of the frame for an 8-speed hub; you *might* be able to switch to using roller-brake hubs but you'd want to inquire about that before buying.... But hey, if you want vintage-looking-but-new, it is out there and the delivery guy can drop a piece of it on your doorstep.
~
or this, which is super cool IMO...
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...8&menuItemId=0
CNY James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:00 PM   #17
Loose Chain
Senior Member
 
Loose Chain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
My road bike doesn't use 700c wheels. It uses 26 X 1 3/8 wheels.
I'm only interested in track/fixie frames because I was under the impression that they are lighter than road bike frames.
Your current "road bike" is a POS to be frank, a toy store bike. A tank would be lighter than that junker.

Whoever told you that a track bike frame was lighter than an equal quality road frame is wrong.

You suffer from a lack of knowledge, before spending money on a new bike please learn something about them.
Loose Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:09 PM   #18
Wayne B
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
Your current "road bike" is a POS to be frank, a toy store bike. A tank would be lighter than that junker.

Whoever told you that a track bike frame was lighter than an equal quality road frame is wrong.

You suffer from a lack of knowledge, before spending money on a new bike please learn something about them.

This is why I am here asking questions... to learn something about them. And to be frank it's POS bike snobs like you at bike shops and forums like these that keep so many people from returning. Simply asking questions about bicycling seems to set you bike snobs off.
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:19 PM   #19
CNY James
Senior Member
 
CNY James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY
Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
This is why I am here asking questions... to learn something about them. And to be frank it's POS bike snobs like you at bike shops and forums like these that keep so many people from returning. Simply asking questions about bicycling seems to set you bike snobs off.
if you get crap like that from the people at the bike shop, find a new bike shop. I had the same experience when I was getting into cycling, this place was downright rude to me for wanting a budget minded bike to get started on. I left, went to another shop, and was treated extremely well.
CNY James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:20 PM   #20
CNY James
Senior Member
 
CNY James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Syracuse, NY
Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post

You suffer from a lack of knowledge, before spending money on a new bike please learn something about them.
why did you think he is here? No need to be an a-hole about it...
CNY James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:30 PM   #21
trinamuous
Senior Member
 
trinamuous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 2009 Trek 7.2 FX
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I commute on this:



It's an '86 model steel frame. Road race geometry with slightly longer chainstays which allows heel clearance room for the rack and panniers. Don't worry about weight so much for commuting. By the time you add a rack and all the stuff you drag to work, it doesn't really matter. Vintage may have more of the look you're going for and can be had for a good price.
trinamuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.