Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,822
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd feel better about it if I didn't think that, at any one time, 20% of the drivers were chatting on their cell phones. We used to have a regular poster from Denver who was killed by a young driver who was downloading ring tones.

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gaseous Cloud around Uranus
    Posts
    3,381
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries.All I ask is if your going to run me over,please kill me.I don't want to wake up with one leg or no hands and a hospital bill I can't pay.
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

  3. #28
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I slid out on streetcar tracks in the rain trying to get to the other side of the roadway this morning, ending with me sliding leg/knee across two lanes. As I was sliding out I looked back to the car 5 ft behind me and he was bug eyed but reacting appropriately. Lifted the wheel before hitting the curb(whew), up and onward in about 10 seconds, bleeding and sore, but safe. Still feel safe, first accident in like 10 years.

  4. #29
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,087
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dam! feel better soon!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  5. #30
    Dances With Cars TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)
    Posts
    10,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but it's just half a leg O road rash. Was hoping for a team doctor and mechanic when I went down, alas I was alone. The physio guy at the office looked like he was about to pass out when he saw me waiting for him to open his office. :lol Standing there bleeding into my shoe, .... "Good morning, might I have access to your first aid room please?"

  6. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worry? No. Just remember that I'm going out onto the playing field with a couple thousand damned fools who think they're the only ones who know what they're doing. They really tick off those of us that DO.

    That said, there are streets that will not see my bike tires; in fact, the one that goes from a block east of my house, all the way to work, has a section labeled, "The Most Dangerous Half-Mile in the City", and is decorated with roadside memorials. I rode that street during the winter, when far fewer people were out, and STILL almost got hit twice in a week.

  7. #32
    Senior Member twinquad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    State College PA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Dean el Diente
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an excellent piece about the perception and reality of the risks of cycling. It's long, but well worth the time, both in terms of understanding what you can do to be safe, and getting some perspective on the actual risks.

    I don't worry. I ride with awareness, predictability, and discretion, and I'm confident that my style of riding makes it no more dangerous than many other activities I engage in on a daily basis (descending stairs, for example). Factor in the health benefits, and I know I'm coming out ahead.

    Happy trails!
    -----------------------------
    2008 Salsa Casseroll (commuter)
    2002 Dean el Diente (road)
    1996 Trek T100 (tandem)

  8. #33
    Senior Member Gege-Bubu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twinquad View Post
    I ride with awareness, predictability, and discretion....
    It is not my riding that concerns me. But the car-van-truck drivers, who do not used to see bikes, or not paying attention.

  9. #34
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,087
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how many texting flatbed drivers are driving at 30 mph within 10" of your left arm while your descending stairs?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i do worry but i'm not your regular, sane person. i ride mostly on trails where cars are forbidden. i'll reluctantly ride on a road within my statepark where only statepark visitors drive. sometimes i have to bike from my car to the park when the parking area is crowded. my fear is simply that not all drivers are sensible & careful with bikers. one stupid move or miscalculation from them and it's a serious injury for me.

    last year i got tangled by a dog leash and chipped three of my front teeth. cost me $3500 to get crowns. if i fall again, the crowns have a good chance of breaking. my health insurance does not cover dental so it'll cost me again. i hate wearing mouthguards but have to now. on paved surfaces i reluctantly relieve myself of the mouthguard so i can talk to my fellow riders but on unpaved areas - no question - mouthguard. even then, i don't know how effective the mouthguard is for crowns.

    anyway, long story short, i've realized just how few protective mechanisms bicycles have than cars. no seat belts, no bumpers, you can't even brake much else you'll flip. bicycles are safe under the right conditions and priceless and i will continue to ride but definitely with care and some trepidation.

  11. #36
    Yabba-Dabba-Doo! AlmostTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bedrock, IL
    My Bikes
    1969 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
    Posts
    3,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like some of the posters here can easily imagine all sorts of bad things happening to them while riding their bike. I sometimes do that too, and if Iím not on the bike it can be almost overwhelming. The funny thing is, once Iím on the bike and in traffic, everything seems sufficiently manageable and I am very comfortable. I believe that most of the worriers here would find the same if they got out there more.
    Have Bike, Will Travel

  12. #37
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by common man View Post
    yes i do worry but i'm not your regular, sane person. i ride mostly on trails where cars are forbidden. i'll reluctantly ride on a road within my statepark where only statepark visitors drive. sometimes i have to bike from my car to the park when the parking area is crowded. my fear is simply that not all drivers are sensible & careful with bikers. one stupid move or miscalculation from them and it's a serious injury for me.

    last year i got tangled by a dog leash and chipped three of my front teeth. cost me $3500 to get crowns. if i fall again, the crowns have a good chance of breaking. my health insurance does not cover dental so it'll cost me again. i hate wearing mouthguards but have to now. on paved surfaces i reluctantly relieve myself of the mouthguard so i can talk to my fellow riders but on unpaved areas - no question - mouthguard. even then, i don't know how effective the mouthguard is for crowns.

    anyway, long story short, i've realized just how few protective mechanisms bicycles have than cars. no seat belts, no bumpers, you can't even brake much else you'll flip. bicycles are safe under the right conditions and priceless and i will continue to ride but definitely with care and some trepidation.
    I hope as the years progress that both your comfort level and your insurance do nothing but improve.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the main reason I stick to the local MUP. Of course, there happens to be a real nice one two blocks from my house. Up to 25 miles, round trip, with no cars anywhere. So, I'm spoiled. However, I'm not interested in having cars involved in my rides. bk

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try not to ride on the streets much anymore. Drivers can be openly hostile to bicyclists and have the attitude that you are "in the way", which is against the "share the road" and "defensive driving" rules of the US.
    Incidentally, police can give tickets (to motorists as well as cyclists) for not following that "share the road" mentality. They just call it unsafe driving, etc.

    Most drivers act accordingly but it only takes one (there is always at least one per ride) to kill or hurt you.

    So yes, I worry about safety. It can be caused by inattentive drivers or hostile drivers. Unfortunately, both are in great abundance.

  15. #40
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiserhead View Post
    I try not to ride on the streets much anymore. Drivers can be openly hostile to bicyclists and have the attitude that you are "in the way", which is against the "share the road" and "defensive driving" rules of the US.
    Incidentally, police can give tickets (to motorists as well as cyclists) for not following that "share the road" mentality. They just call it unsafe driving, etc.

    Most drivers act accordingly but it only takes one (there is always at least one per ride) to kill or hurt you.

    So yes, I worry about safety. It can be caused by inattentive drivers or hostile drivers. Unfortunately, both are in great abundance.
    Drivers? You mean people! I ride the trail every weekend to keep my wife off the road. I'm not willing to have her get injured over a hobby. But on the trail, riders are just as bad, as stupid, as dangerous, as inattentive as drivers. I can't count the times that other cyclist have come around blind turns, in my lane while talking on the phone. First thougth through my mind, this dude is more than likely posting on the bike forums whining over drivers talking on the phone!

    I'm a defensive person, in the car, on the bike, on the road and on the trail!

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay....

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Leeds UK
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling's very safe - it's being hit by a motor vehicle that isn't - which is a different matter entirely.

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I worry about the safety of cycling? No, I don't. Riding a bicycle is about as damaging to your longevity as eating a Big Mac.

    So, why don't you wear a helmet when you go to McDonald's?

  19. #44
    Senior Member Gege-Bubu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Drivers? You mean people! .... riders are just as bad, as stupid, as dangerous, as inattentive as drivers.
    Drivers? Bicyclist? - I have to tell regular pedestrians are dangerous!!!

    Two weeks ago I was riding roller-blades and was going down on steep hill, all of a sudden a jogger appeared from around the corner on MY side of the road! He did not even think to move, and I have to dive to avoid collision. I have scratched all of my side and damaged nail, but nothing serious. And the guy was not on the phone or nothing. He probably did not expect to see anyone moving at very high speed

  20. #45
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu View Post
    Drivers? Bicyclist? - I have to tell regular pedestrians are dangerous!!!

    Two weeks ago I was riding roller-blades and was going down on steep hill, all of a sudden a jogger appeared from around the corner on MY side of the road! He did not even think to move, and I have to dive to avoid collision. I have scratched all of my side and damaged nail, but nothing serious. And the guy was not on the phone or nothing. He probably did not expect to see anyone moving at very high speed
    Zactly!...That was my point. Right away, everyone starts pointing at the drivers when there is danger everywhere. In your case, if you encountered as many peds as cars the drivers might not seem so bad!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •