Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   Question on type shoe for pedal? (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/655865-question-type-shoe-pedal.html)

cehowardGS 06-20-10 01:08 PM

Question on type shoe for pedal?
 
Okay,http://www.cehoward.net/pedal34.jpg I am a newbie, and with that said, what kind of shoe do I need to go with pedals like this??
Thanks in advance..

http://www.cehoward.net/pedal34.jpg

http://www.cehoward.net/pedal35.jpg

frankenmike 06-20-10 02:40 PM

You need a road shoe- one that has three screw holes in a triangle on the bottom.

cehowardGS 06-20-10 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenmike (Post 10991233)
You need a road shoe- one that has three screw holes in a triangle on the bottom.

Thanks much. :beer:

I love this place!! :thumb:

Greg_R 06-23-10 06:08 PM

You will also need a set of Shimano SPD-SL cleats for those shoes...

cehowardGS 06-24-10 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_R (Post 11009222)
You will also need a set of Shimano SPD-SL cleats for those shoes...

Greg, I am a newbie, with that said.

Are you saying that with the pedals in the picture, and the bikes shoes( Northwave cycling shoes) with the 3 holes in a triangle, I also need SPD-SL cleats for the shoes? Because I will be picking up a pair of new ones in my size I will be getting off of CL.

Thanks in advance for your feedback...

deep_sky 06-24-10 04:33 PM

Those pedals appear to be older Dura Ace pedals, which means that yes, you will need SPD-SL cleats to be able to use them (Look cleats are not compatible). There are a 0 float and 6(i think it is 6) degree float options, which is your call. Generally unless you know you need no float at all, go with the float variant to protect your knees. Your shoes will need to have a 3 bolt (triangle) pattern, so you can't use MTB shoes, but any shoe with that pattern will work.

cehowardGS 06-28-10 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep_sky (Post 11014411)
Those pedals appear to be older Dura Ace pedals, which means that yes, you will need SPD-SL cleats to be able to use them (Look cleats are not compatible). There are a 0 float and 6(i think it is 6) degree float options, which is your call. Generally unless you know you need no float at all, go with the float variant to protect your knees. Your shoes will need to have a 3 bolt (triangle) pattern, so you can't use MTB shoes, but any shoe with that pattern will work.

First, I just want to say that the feedback and help has been fantastic! :thumb: This is another whole world for me, and I don't know jack right now!!

From, the feedback I got, I was able to get some bike shoes, and since I didn't know what is what, I took the shoe to LBS, along with a picture of the pedal. The LBS asked me what kind of pedal, and I flashed the picture. From the picture, that got me the right cleat to go into the shoe, and will fit the pedal.
For my first pair of bike shoes, I got a brand new pair off of CL in my size. Not only that, when I do put everything together, this will be my first ride on a biccycle with cleats on!! Oh boy!! :)

Here are the shoes, cleats and pedal.

http://www.cehoward.net/cleat3.jpg
http://www.cehoward.net/pedal35.jpg




Thanks much,

RonH 06-28-10 02:58 PM

It looks like those shoes require a receptor plate to mount the cleats. Did a receptor plate come with the shoes?

The same shoe is for sale at STP. --> http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...e-For-Men.html
Here's what is says about the shoes.
"The eye-catching Northwave Solo road cycling shoe features a separate receptor plate, making this shoe compatible with Look, Campagnolo and Miche road pedals."

cmherrmann 06-29-10 06:16 AM

Now that you have the shoes make sure you read some of the threads on tipping over while still clipped in. Trust me you will do it we all do. Don't worry it hurts you ego more than anything! I suggest practicing clipping in and out while stationary and leaning against a wall and then practice more in an open parking lot or in your driveway.

PaulRivers 06-29-10 12:28 PM

Yeah, those shoes you bought look like they might have 4 holes, not 3 like the other person mentioned...

PaulRivers 06-29-10 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmherrmann (Post 11034089)
Now that you have the shoes make sure you read some of the threads on tipping over while still clipped in. Trust me you will do it we all do. Don't worry it hurts you ego more than anything! I suggest practicing clipping in and out while stationary and leaning against a wall and then practice more in an open parking lot or in your driveway.

I wouldn't 100% agree - I "worry" about hitting another car or something with my car, keeps me cautious. If someone is new to clipless, hopeful a small amount of worry will motivate them to spend time practicing clipping in and out before doing any serious riding, which is highly recommended.

I don't quite agree with this "we all tip over" thing. Most of us practiced, and exactly once came to a dead stop, forgot to clip out in time after several no-fall rides, and fell over (again, at no speed). Then never let it happen again.

cehowardGS 06-30-10 09:32 PM

I am getting top-notch feedback on this. :thumb: Thanks much..

Okay, the cleats I purchased, even though I took the shoes, and the picture of the pedal to the LBS, don't fit. Even the screws in the package don't fit the holes.

On the receptor plate, I will have to find out about that. Right now, the cleats with the screws are wrong, so I will have to take that up with the LBS first. After that, if a receptor plate is needed, I will work on that..

I got a couple neighbors who ride in cleats, and they were giving me some tips. I got 5 bikes in my stable now, and only one requires cleats. The others have toe-straps. I will make this move to riding with cleats. It will be lots of practice time in parking lots to get the feel.

Right now, I just need to get these cleats on the shoe.

cehowardGS 07-01-10 02:23 PM

I found out I am missing the receptor plate..:(

frankenmike 07-01-10 03:22 PM

Happened to me the first time I bought road pedals and shoes as well. The bright side: probably won't happen again.

cehowardGS 07-01-10 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankenmike (Post 11048185)
Happened to me the first time I bought road pedals and shoes as well. The bright side: probably won't happen again.

Ha, the brought a laugh to my face, when I was trying to cry!! :) You called it right, this will be my first time in cleats. Looks like purchased the shoes without the receptor plate. The seller told me he purchased them at a race. I talked to the people at sierratradingpost.com. They told me since I didn't have an order number, they couldn't send me the plate. :) I offered to buy the plate. Still no go. They said if I had a order number/customer number, they would send me the plate free of charge. I wrote a not to the Northwave people in WA.

You are right, it won't happen again...:)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 PM.