Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Long bike ride + long drive afterwards = lower back pain and stiffness. Help!

    Hi

    After a long bike ride, I usually soak in a hot bath immediately and it really helps to reduce next day pain and soreness.

    However when I drive and cycle (2-3 hour car drives), I have to sit it out and dunk when I arrive, which is already too late as the pain and stiffness settle in... the next day is a nightmare.

    Does anyone experience this and have any tips and tricks? Maybe a heating pad between myself and the car seat?

    (And to you sarcastic's out there, no I can't install a tub in my trunk, already thought of that )
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,160
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A massaging lumbar support cushion does wonders for that with me. They aren't all that expensive, and certainly cheaper than putting a bathtub in your trunk.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    A massaging lumbar support cushion does wonders for that with me. They aren't all that expensive, and certainly cheaper than putting a bathtub in your trunk.
    Interesting idea!
    What brand/model do you have?
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  4. #4
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,204
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Veteran of two back surgeries here. Do a very careful & thorough stretch at the end of your ride, before you get in the car. If you can, try to park your car near a place with a patch of shady grass so you can lay out, stretch your back and really elongate your spine. Take at least 15 minutes to do this. Breath deeply and let your tense back muscles relax.
    And stop every hour on your car drive and walk around for a few minutes and stretch your back.
    Also check your local library for yoga dvds. After checking it out so many times, I finally bought this one. IMO it's easier to concentrate on your breathing, posture and spine when this little Asian dude is showing you how, than when in a room surrounded by young, fit, scantily-clad women.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWeasel View Post
    Well, if you are gonna carry a snapped frame all the way home. It might as well be light weight carbon fiber.

  5. #5
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,160
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's actually a no name cheapie I bought either at Walmart or Pep Boys on clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Interesting idea!
    What brand/model do you have?
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  6. #6
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    Veteran of two back surgeries here. Do a very careful & thorough stretch at the end of your ride, before you get in the car. If you can, try to park your car near a place with a patch of shady grass so you can lay out, stretch your back and really elongate your spine. Take at least 15 minutes to do this. Breath deeply and let your tense back muscles relax.
    And stop every hour on your car drive and walk around for a few minutes and stretch your back.
    Also check your local library for yoga dvds. After checking it out so many times, I finally bought this one. IMO it's easier to concentrate on your breathing, posture and spine when this little Asian dude is showing you how, than when in a room surrounded by young, fit, scantily-clad women.
    Thanks, very informative.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Steve in MA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike
    Posts
    300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    IMO it's easier to concentrate on your breathing, posture and spine when this little Asian dude is showing you how, than when in a room surrounded by young, fit, scantily-clad women.
    Wish I had that problem in my yoga class...a couple of other dudes, and a bunch of middle-age women are all I have to look at. :-)

    But +1 on the yoga suggestion. I've been doing yoga and pilates 4-5 times a week (once in a class, the rest at home) since this winter, and I rarely have back or neck issues during or post-ride anymore. And I take the time to stretch after a long ride.

  8. #8
    Unobtanium-Based Lifeform calamarichris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA
    My Bikes
    '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi)
    Posts
    5,204
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in MA View Post
    Wish I had that problem in my yoga class...a couple of other dudes, and a bunch of middle-age women are all I have to look at. :-)
    Man, that would be sweet. It's really difficult to relax and get that deep, soothing, yoga breathing when you can't let your gut out. And woe-betide the hapless male yoga pupil who doesn't arrive in class with his package aiming in the right direction, ow--gives "Bend it Like Beckham" a whole new meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWeasel View Post
    Well, if you are gonna carry a snapped frame all the way home. It might as well be light weight carbon fiber.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calamarichris View Post
    Do a very careful & thorough stretch at the end of your ride, before you get in the car. If you can, try to park your car near a place with a patch of shady grass so you can lay out, stretch your back and really elongate your spine. Take at least 15 minutes to do this. Breath deeply and let your tense back muscles relax.
    And stop every hour on your car drive and walk around for a few minutes and stretch your back.
    +1 on this. After the ride I take a big drink of chocolate milk, as I beleive that in the immediate minutes after the exercise the muscle are better at absorbing the nutrients. Before you rush home take some time to take pleasure in reflecting on your accomplishment.

  10. #10
    Fax Transport Specialist black_box's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    chicago burbs
    My Bikes
    '07 fuji cross pro, '10 gary fisher x-caliber
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're changing back into street clothes, do you have a wallet stuffed in your back pocket? that can get bothersome, try the front pocket or a cargo pocket. Also, even a towel folded over a couple times can provide some relief.

  11. #11
    Life is good RonH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Posts
    13,894
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by black_box View Post
    if you're changing back into street clothes, do you have a wallet stuffed in your back pocket? that can get bothersome, try the front pocket or a cargo pocket.
    +1000

    Have you tried Aleve? Works for me.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

    I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by black_box View Post
    if you're changing back into street clothes, do you have a wallet stuffed in your back pocket? that can get bothersome, try the front pocket or a cargo pocket. Also, even a towel folded over a couple times can provide some relief.
    Wallet is always in the front pocket of loose shorts, never anything in the back.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  13. #13
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great responses.

    Stretching I already do, but maybe not to the extent of +10 minutes. I'll adjust that for the next rides!

    As for ice, is it better to apply cold or heat on the lower back after a long ride?
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  14. #14
    Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you don't take this as being sarcastic, but hit the gym for a workout at least 3 to 4 times a week, with durations of at least half hour or more. Try that out for about 2 months. After that see if everything gets better and pain decreases.

  15. #15
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
    I hope you don't take this as being sarcastic, but hit the gym for a workout at least 3 to 4 times a week, with durations of at least half hour or more. Try that out for about 2 months. After that see if everything gets better and pain decreases.
    No, not at all. I think that will all the pressure we place on our lower backs, it would make sense to hit the gym on a regular basis.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    4,396
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it's always possible that your car seat is rather uncomfortable to...

  17. #17
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,352
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After lying down for 80-100 miles, my back is no problem at all. What's this 'sore back' s**t, er, I mean stuff?

    Just a guess, but if you have a sore lower back, there's one of two things going on. 1) you need more core exercises like sit-ups, or 2) you're riding with your back hunched.

  18. #18
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    Hmm, it's always possible that your car seat is rather uncomfortable to...
    Well, the lumbar support isn't what it used to be... but i don't get back pain on long rides going to my destination or even when i don't bike.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  19. #19
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    After lying down for 80-100 miles, my back is no problem at all. What's this 'sore back' s**t, er, I mean stuff?

    Just a guess, but if you have a sore lower back, there's one of two things going on. 1) you need more core exercises like sit-ups, or 2) you're riding with your back hunched.
    Sounds like 1 and 2 both apply here.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    extensions (google mckenzie extensions)... you are riding in lumbar flexion and then driving in lumbar flexion. You need to get out of that position. The term bulging disk has such a bad reputation, but think of your disk as a bag full of water and flour slurry... put pressure on the front, the fluid goes to the rear... you are doing that for long periods of time on your bike and on your ride, when you do extensions you can restore proper balance.

    take it FWIW, it's internet advise, but would think it will be helpful based on your quick description. as always, consult with your personal physician or PT before beginning any new regimen

  21. #21
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_mac84 View Post
    extensions (google mckenzie extensions)... you are riding in lumbar flexion and then driving in lumbar flexion. You need to get out of that position. The term bulging disk has such a bad reputation, but think of your disk as a bag full of water and flour slurry... put pressure on the front, the fluid goes to the rear... you are doing that for long periods of time on your bike and on your ride, when you do extensions you can restore proper balance.

    take it FWIW, it's internet advise, but would think it will be helpful based on your quick description. as always, consult with your personal physician or PT before beginning any new regimen
    Hey, i'm open, i'll look it up on youtube.com. Thanks for passing it along.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •