Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    Senior Member BigDaddyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help me save my wife from herself

    So my wife has decided that she wants a bike. And I fully support this, because I like to ride, and I'd love to ride with her. That being said, she's decided that since she's not a "competitive rider", she doesn't need a bike from a bike shop and that one from Target will do. I'm not a competitive rider, but I've been doing this long enough to know that X-Mart bikes are crap. Help me save her from her poor decision making. She's certainly bright enough, that PhD says volumes, but sometimes her smarts get in the way of her listening to me.

    Here are bikes I'm suggesting to her, they're sold by local shops.

    Cidi 8

    Urban Express

    Flite 220L

    If anyone has any other bike suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    11,592
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might share what Schwinn does. they don't even list big box store Scwhinn bikes on their web site - and they even have a web FAQ item explaining why, well, actually they don't explain why!!!!!!!!

    see item #2
    http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/FAQ
    The Schwinn website typically displays only current model year bicycles with an MSRP above $250. These bikes are sold only through the independent bicycle channel. We do not list department store bicycles on our website. However, you can visit a retailer's site to obtain information on any of the Schwinn models they carry.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  3. #3
    On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna put on my tinfoil hat here, and play devil's advocate...

    I hope you're not paying MSRP for those, $550 for a base (2200) cro-mo road bike is a bit much. I think I paid $20 for my first steel road bike at a garage sale. Then again, money might not be an issue for you, in which case get the nicest bike you think she'll ride. Fit and function are more important than name brands. Target sells a Sora-equipped drop-bar aluminum bike for $380, with as good or better parts list, just doesn't have a radial laced front wheel... I don't see a problem with that. Any specific reason you want to throw money at the LBS?
    Last edited by FunkyStickman; 07-21-10 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Cause I've got a trigger Submit finger

  4. #4
    Senior Member travelmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Long Beach,CA
    My Bikes
    Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk
    Posts
    1,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I listen to you will you buy me a bike? A lot of people think the same as your wife and end up with bikes they just use for the summertime. If your wife goes to the bike shop and buys a bike that fits her, gets some accessories and a helmet, she may feel as though she is in business. What do you think she will use the bike for? If she is planning on touring around the city, I suggest the first bike. If you two want to hit the countryside roads, go with the third bike.
    Two Wheels One Love

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,794
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's going to be maintaining/fixing whatever bike she buys? Buy a Target bike, and YOU better be a good wrench.

    Unless she rides like a feather on a pond, a Target bike will likely not last more than a year or two. Maybe that's all she'll ride, anyway -- but on a Target bike, that's about guaranteed.

  6. #6
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,033
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The FLite and tell the shop not to cut the fork tube so that she can use all the hight available when it comes to the stem. Hybrid is nice too but if you plan to ride with her, forget about the crusier.

    The more efficeint she is ,the better it is for you. Don't be a cheesehead and skimp on her saddle and shorts like most other riders do or she'll never enjoy riding. I knwo guys that ride a Madone while the wife rides a cheesey Walmart MTB then wonder why she doesn't enjoy riding or can't keep up! If all you can afford is a Walmart bike, they you should ride one too when you ride togetehr.

    NOTE:... I know, above is not for you. Nice that you offer a decent ride. The above is just a general statement just incase any of the cheeseheads are thinking about it!

  7. #7
    Yabba-Dabba-Doo! AlmostTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bedrock, IL
    My Bikes
    1969 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
    Posts
    3,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let her get a Target bike, just make sure it's not a $89 double suspension mountain bike! She can always upgrade later if she wants to. Target does have a few decent bikes available, as long as you're able to adjust it properly.

    My wife has a nice Bianchi from a bike shop and still only uses it once or twice a year.
    Have Bike, Will Travel

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell her that a bicycle does not have airbags, seat belts, metal cage around it. the only protection you have is the rider's control AND the bike's mechanical reliability. tell her that a quality bicycle is a lifetime investment. it has lifetime warranty and lasts for a very long time. spend the extra now and in the long term it'll be worth every penny.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to share my own experience with big box bikes. First off I ride a Huffy Magellan almost everyday. I really enjoy this bike. It had to be adjusted when I got it. No major defects just a few minor adjustments to derailures and the rear fender bracket was not bent all the way inn and rubbed. If you know your way around a bike you can make easily fix these yourself. I ride mostly country roads. I have seen some decent looking bikes at Target compared to other department stores. Yes LBS bikes are likely better but these are perfectly serviceable, and far less price daunting. If you do end up at Target check out the Schwinn's. Most shops can service department store bikes. Two points of caution check it over for loose badly assembled parts before first ride (I like to get the floor model so I can see the bike before I leave), and be prepared to show it TLC (regular maintenance on time) or it will have a much shorter life.

  10. #10
    Senior Member canopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    My Bikes
    1985 Cannondale SR300, 1985 Cannondale ST400, Gary Littlejohn Cruiser, BMX
    Posts
    1,207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let your wife pick her first bike, take her to dept stores or the LBS or CL or wherever she wants but let her pick it. If you put your foot down or refuse to listen to what she wants she will resent the bike and you and will never ride it. Even if you know she wont ride what she buys, at least if she picks it she will have to look at herself and then she will ask for advice instead of resenting it being thrust upon her. Also if it is a dept store bike it shouldn't be that expensive and some of the schwinn's are quite nice. She can get something better later on as she improves, just accept this as the natural N+1 phenomenon.
    1984 Cannondale ST
    1985 Cannondale SR300
    1980 Gary Littlejohn Cruiser
    1984 Trek 760
    1981 Trek 710
    Pics

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would tell her the truth, which is that she's not an 8 year old kid who's going to put 75 miles on the bike before outgrowing it, so she needs a grown-up bike from a bike shop.

    I don't know how she'd take that, but for certain people I know that is actually what I would do.

  12. #12
    Senior Member zachdees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Crystal City missouri 63019
    My Bikes
    Schwin Sierra Mongoose Xr-75 and Bianchi Mid 70s roadbike
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i highly suggest the flite 220 because its a roadbike you'll get more bodywork out of a roadbike
    and they are faster than mtb but then again you can purchase a granny seat for a mtb road and ride smooth and comfortable

  13. #13
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by canopus View Post
    Let your wife pick her first bike, take her to dept stores or the LBS or CL or wherever she wants but let her pick it. If you put your foot down or refuse to listen to what she wants she will resent the bike and you and will never ride it. Even if you know she wont ride what she buys, at least if she picks it she will have to look at herself and then she will ask for advice instead of resenting it being thrust upon her. Also if it is a dept store bike it shouldn't be that expensive and some of the schwinn's are quite nice. She can get something better later on as she improves, just accept this as the natural N+1 phenomenon.
    This. ^ Because everyone has at least a little different preference in what they want in a bike. The first bike is just for someone to learn what they want to look for in the next bike. If she gets an X-Mart bike and doesn't like it, no problem. Makes getting her an LBS bike later an easier sell for you. If you start her with an LBS bike you like and she rides it a few times and doesn't like it ... Well; then you have a problem I wouldn't want to deal with.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdees View Post
    i highly suggest the flite 220 because its a roadbike you'll get more bodywork out of a roadbike
    and they are faster than mtb but then again you can purchase a granny seat for a mtb road and ride smooth and comfortable
    That isn't actually the way it works at all. Put a granny seat on a road bike and you'll be very uncomfortable.

  15. #15
    Peripheral Visionary spock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyStickman View Post
    I hope you're not paying MSRP for those, $550 for a base (2200) cro-mo road bike is a bit much. I think I paid $20 for my first steel road bike at a garage sale.
    550$ for a cro-mo bike is just beautiful. If they had an aluminum or CF for let's say $300 in the same category, I'd go with a steelie, but that's just me.

  16. #16
    Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete View Post
    So my wife has decided that she wants a bike. And I fully support this, because I like to ride, and I'd love to ride with her. That being said, she's decided that since she's not a "competitive rider", she doesn't need a bike from a bike shop and that one from Target will do. I'm not a competitive rider, but I've been doing this long enough to know that X-Mart bikes are crap. Help me save her from her poor decision making. She's certainly bright enough, that PhD says volumes, but sometimes her smarts get in the way of her listening to me.

    Here are bikes I'm suggesting to her, they're sold by local shops.

    Cidi 8

    Urban Express

    Flite 220L

    If anyone has any other bike suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
    The Urban Express is nice. But, if you know like I know, let her have her way, and get what she wants.. Target, Wally Mart, even Sears!!

    Sheesh, I got my wife a $25 thrift shop Schwinn Traveler, and she tickled pink!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Buy nice or buy twice."

    Whatever the price difference is between a Target bike and a bike store bike, a year from now that money will be gone and you will have forgotten how you spent it.

    She'll still have the bike. Make sure that it's the one she really likes.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 07-21-10 at 05:55 PM.

  18. #18
    On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spock View Post
    550$ for a cro-mo bike is just beautiful. If they had an aluminum or CF for let's say $300 in the same category, I'd go with a steelie, but that's just me.
    Maybe for you... I paid less than that for my first car. I understand the OP (his wife having a PhD) isn't too concerned about money, but the people that perpetuate the myth that you can't get your money's worth out of a nicer box-store bike don't live in my world. They are not that bad if you take care of them and upgrade a few parts as needed. They are not the scourge of the roads, as some would have you believe. I have over 800 miles on mine in less than a year, no issues other than normal wear items.

    To reiterate the OP's question: buying an LBS bike isn't required for her to enjoy riding, but if money isn't an issue, talk her into something nicer and throw some goodies in with it, like some ergo grips, etc.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyStickman View Post
    Maybe for you... I paid less than that for my first car. I understand the OP (his wife having a PhD) isn't too concerned about money, but the people that perpetuate the myth that you can't get your money's worth out of a nicer box-store bike don't live in my world. They are not that bad if you take care of them and upgrade a few parts as needed. They are not the scourge of the roads, as some would have you believe. I have over 800 miles on mine in less than a year, no issues other than normal wear items.

    To reiterate the OP's question: buying an LBS bike isn't required for her to enjoy riding, but if money isn't an issue, talk her into something nicer and throw some goodies in with it, like some ergo grips, etc.
    Ah, then you believe his wife will be "taking care" of the bike and replacing part herself with a wrench or whatever tools are needed? Perhaps she will also be disassembling and repacking the bearings on the front hub? Replacing the brake pads?

  20. #20
    Senior Member SunnyFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eating oranges of course!
    My Bikes
    Sun Miami Trike - 2007
    Posts
    563
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is paying for the bike? Is she paying for the bike? if she is, than let her pick what she wants unless you like sleeping on the couch.

    You can give her advice, point out the flaws of the Target bike but be wary that she may view that as criticism of her and not the bike.

    If you really want to give her an incentive to pick the bike you think she should have, then offer to pay the difference between the LBS bike and the Target one she has in mind.

    As you mentioned, it's not about the money but your wife obviously doesn't want to pay a lot for an item that she may not consider as important as you do. Therefore, bridging the money gap may be a possible solution here.
    Last edited by SunnyFlorida; 07-21-10 at 06:36 PM.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyStickman View Post
    Maybe for you... I paid less than that for my first car.
    Wait, wait - you paid less than $400 for your first *car*??

    What are you leaving out? Did you buy it in 1940? Did you then spend overa thousand dollars in repair work for it? Is the trick that your dad sold it to you or something?

    I've been car shopping - there's no way you're going to buy something reliable for $400 unless you buy it from a relative or steal it.

  22. #22
    Senior Member BengeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete View Post
    she's decided
    End of thread.

    Get her what she wants.

    When the Target bike falls apart, make sure you have rewritten history in such a way that the Target bike was *your* choice and now it's time to get her what she should have had, a bike from a bike shop.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    End of thread.

    Get her what she wants.

    When the Target bike falls apart, make sure you have rewritten history in such a way that the Target bike was *your* choice and now it's time to get her what she should have had, a bike from a bike shop.
    I think this is the reason I'm still single. I've gotten a little older and I'm not willing to play these mind-games just so I can get laid - sometimes. I mean, if you had seriously known that in order to get your wife to try something fun together you would have to do what she wanted, then make her believe that what she wanted is actually what you wanted, and that that decision (that you now wanted) was stupid, and you're an idiot, and what she "actually" wanted was to go to a bike shop (which is the opposite of what she actually wanted)...would that have influenced your decision to spend the rest of your life living like this?
    Last edited by PaulRivers; 07-21-10 at 06:39 PM.

  24. #24
    On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Thibodaux, LA
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    Wait, wait - you paid less than $400 for your first *car*??

    What are you leaving out? Did you buy it in 1940? Did you then spend overa thousand dollars in repair work for it? Is the trick that your dad sold it to you or something?

    I've been car shopping - there's no way you're going to buy something reliable for $400 unless you buy it from a relative or something.
    Paid $500 for it in 1995, actually, from a guy I didn't know. It ran fine, had a dent in the hood where the previous owner had hit a deer with it (still worked fine). I put a total of about $100 in keeping it up (put a used radiator in it and a timing belt, replaced them myself) and then an old lady ran a stop sign, hit me and totalled it. All the cars I've bought since then have been paid for, too. Let's just say I have a knack for finding good deals out of necessity. I don't condone cheaping out on everything, don't get me wrong. But why pay full price for anything in today's age of information? With a little leg work, you can really find some deals if you know what you're looking for.

    And no, I don't expect the wife to maintain the bike, but the LBS bike would have to be taken in for service as well. If you get it initially adjusted properly and don't abuse it, it should last several years, long enough to get her cycling and having more of an idea of what she wants in a bike, which she could then spend more money on later.

  25. #25
    Senior Member BengeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    I think this is the reason I'm still single. I've gotten a little older and I'm not willing to play these mind-games just so I can get laid - sometimes. I mean, if you had seriously known that in order to get your wife to try something fun together you would have to do what she wanted, then make her believe that what she wanted is actually what you wanted, and that that decision (that you now wanted) was stupid, and you're an idiot, and what she "actually" wanted was to go to a bike shop (which is the opposite of what she actually wanted)...would that have influenced your decision to spend the rest of your life living like this?
    Works for me.


    Pretending that I'm an idiot 2 or 3 times a week doesn't even make the top 100 list of things that bother me each week. One of the great things about having a family is that it makes me worry a lot more about them, and a lot less about myself.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 07-21-10 at 06:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •