Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-10, 07:11 AM   #1
taos07
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Electronic Shifting.

How long would you say it will be before another company comes out with an electronic drivetrain that is less than $2500? Seems like it should be possible to build this stuff for under $1000 easily.
taos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 05:00 PM   #2
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not that this has anything to do with the question you asked, but do you think there's really a market for it? I haven't tried it, but my bikes shift so well now that I can't imagine spending even a few dollars to make them do it better, certainly not anywhere near $1000.
Of course I go back to the downtube/friction days, so my perspective may be skewed. But, seriously, if somebody offered me the full setup for, say, $100, I don't think I'd take it. I know it wouldn't make me faster, and I don't think it would make riding more fun.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 05:19 PM   #3
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos07 View Post
How long would you say it will be before another company comes out with an electronic drivetrain that is less than $2500? Seems like it should be possible to build this stuff for under $1000 easily.
It's a new product. Why do you assume Shimano won't lower the price in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
Not that this has anything to do with the question you asked, but do you think there's really a market for it? I haven't tried it, but my bikes shift so well now that I can't imagine spending even a few dollars to make them do it better, certainly not anywhere near $1000.
Of course I go back to the downtube/friction days, so my perspective may be skewed. But, seriously, if somebody offered me the full setup for, say, $100, I don't think I'd take it. I know it wouldn't make me faster, and I don't think it would make riding more fun.
There's a market for $4000+ bikes without electronic shifting. Since Shimano is selling electronic shifting, there's a market for it.

Electronic shifting is probably not much of an advantage for just riding around (given the cost) but it appears to work very well for racing. It might remain a high end-thing.

Electronic shifting also allows buttons in different places. This could be useful for time-trial bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
NOf course I go back to the downtube/friction days, so my perspective may be skewed. But, seriously, if somebody offered me the full setup for, say, $100, I don't think I'd take it. I know it wouldn't make me faster, and I don't think it would make riding more fun.
This is the "I don't like it therefore it sucks for everybody" argument. Your "perspective" is skewed and limited.

Brifters are better for racing and high speed group rides. They cost about $300. Your $100 "price" doesn't make any sense.

Electronic shifting won't be for everybody and down-tube friction shifters work pretty well too.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-07-10 at 05:30 PM.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 09:46 PM   #4
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When new technology is introduced its very expensive, not because the materials are expensive but because there was so much time put into research, development, testing, and setting up a factory to build the new product. Over time those costs are payed off and prices will drop. The same thing will happen when Campy and Sram release their electric group the first few years they will out cost their highest end mechanical group, and slowly the prices will lower. But the electronic group will always be more than the mechanical because it will be the flagship group getting the top materials, and most focus. Because in order to sell a group to top racer(and people who want bikes like top racers) it needs to be the most advanced you have, and for now that will mean electric shifting.

There is no need to turn this into a tread about the value of electronic vs mechanical. There are many, but this is a question about the cost of the Di2.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:22 AM   #5
taos07
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my Tiagra stuff, low end as it may be. The only thing that I would love to have would be auto trimming. I'm not a pro, so I won't pay 3 grand for it.
taos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:30 AM   #6
spock
Peripheral Visionary
 
spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my down-tube shifters.

I also have a car that shifts automatically and no pealing necessary.

Are we ready for electronic shifting?
spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:33 AM   #7
taos07
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I love my down-tube shifters.

I also have a car that shifts automatically and no pealing necessary.

Are we ready for electronic shifting?
Probably not, after all, "It's just a ride."
taos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:53 AM   #8
Kayce
Senior Member
 
Kayce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 1,846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos07 View Post
I love my Tiagra stuff, low end as it may be. The only thing that I would love to have would be auto trimming. I'm not a pro, so I won't pay 3 grand for it.
Cool thanks for the info.
Kayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 09:05 AM   #9
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
This is the "I don't like it therefore it sucks for everybody" argument. Your "perspective" is skewed and limited. Your $100 "price" doesn't make any sense....
Way to rant, dude...
Actually this isn't an argument at all, it's the "Is there enough demand for it to bring prices down?" question. Don't know why that launched your Arrogant Roadie P***k tirade.
As long as you're here, though: If it DOES get down to $100, is it OK if still I don't buy one?
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 01:35 PM   #10
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
Way to rant, dude...
Actually this isn't an argument at all, it's the "Is there enough demand for it to bring prices down?" question. Don't know why that launched your Arrogant Roadie P***k tirade.
Because not much of what you said made any sense.

The price will go down. It might not go down enough to found on low end bikes. There's a fairly large market for high end bikes.

"Arrogant" is funny, though. I don't care what people ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
As long as you're here, though: If it DOES get down to $100, is it OK if still I don't buy one?
You are completely free to do whatever you want.
njkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 02:57 PM   #11
Just2View
Banned.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 2
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taos07 View Post
I love my Tiagra stuff, low end as it may be. The only thing that I would love to have would be auto trimming. I'm not a pro, so I won't pay 3 grand for it.
Agreed! My Tiagra and 105 shifters are pretty much perfect. They always shift smoothly for me. I'm fairly noobish, so I don't think I would even be able to notice the difference between Tiagra/105 and Di2.
Just2View is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.