Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/)
-   -   The pavement joint that swallowed my bicycle (http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/675454-pavement-joint-swallowed-my-bicycle.html)

AcornMan 08-27-10 11:54 AM

The pavement joint that swallowed my bicycle
 
Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but these pictures show the pavement joint where my wheel got caught last week, resulting in a nasty accident that caused ten broken bones and a punctured lung. The last one is a closeup of the damage to my helmet. Thank god I was wearing it. I'd hate to see a crack like that in a head x-ray.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/IMG_8353.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/IMG_8351.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...n/IMG_8346.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Man/helmet.jpg

tsl 08-27-10 12:43 PM

Have you taken that up with your local DOT?

Fizzaly 08-27-10 12:47 PM

Thats why im afraid to ride on skinnies, hope you have healed

JanMM 08-27-10 08:46 PM

Dang! Glad you're well enough to visit the forum. Guessing that you had to have a chest tube.
Don't be afraid to take pain pills.

knobster 08-27-10 08:56 PM

wow man, sorry to hear that. My wife and I had this happen to us at the exact same time at the finish line of a charity ride. Luckily for us, we were only going probably 2 mph. Stopped us dead in our tracks.

Mr. Beanz 08-27-10 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzaly (Post 11365471)
Thats why im afraid to ride on skinnies, hope you have healed

Hmmm, afraid to ride skinnies? I'm thinking more like, didn't you see that?":eek:

cyclist2000 08-27-10 11:14 PM

Beanz, I had a similar incident happen 25 years ago. I think I saw it, not sure if I could have avoided it since I was shifting lanes to make a turn and didn't expect it to be that deep.

I still ride skinny tires but now I know what to look out for.

When I see a separation in the pavement that I need to cross, I treat it like a railroad track.

Mr. Beanz 08-27-10 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist2000 (Post 11368527)
Beanz, I had a similar incident happen 25 years ago. I think I saw it, not sure if I could have avoided it since I was shifting lanes to make a turn and didn't expect it to be that deep.

I still ride skinny tires but now I know what to look out for.

I'm very cautious when it comes to grating, drain covers etc, that stuff looks dangerous too.:eek:

cyclist2000 08-28-10 06:57 AM

I learned about the straight grates when I was a kid. Why do they make storm inlet with those grates? Luckily I was going slow but my front wheel dropped down to the axle. Painful.

dynodonn 08-28-10 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist2000 (Post 11369185)
I learned about the straight grates when I was a kid. Why do they make storm inlet with those grates? Luckily I was going slow but my front wheel dropped down to the axle. Painful.

This is soooooo familiar, and to this day I still bear the scars from a similar incident. For what ever reason, it was only a matter of weeks after my incident that I started seeing horizontal bars welded on top of the storm grates along the very same route.

Today, I still avoid grates, even if they are the safety versions that a bicycle wheel cannot possibly drop through, along with cracks/expansion joints in the road way.

dcrowell 08-28-10 11:51 AM

Yikes. I hope you heal quickly.

It's possible to avoid if you know where they all are (such as bridge expansion joints), but when the pavement just has gap like that, it'll sneak up on you.

over1 08-31-10 11:39 AM

"Didn't you see that" is a classic 20/20 hindsight comment: not helpful, and not very compassionate for the injured.
Needless to say, constant corrections to avoid sequential obstacles, while avoiding preoccupied drivers on the road is too common, and, at a minimum, drastically reduces cycling pleasure, skinny tires or not.
Also, don't expect to get very far with the local county to make this kind of pavement repair, until it gets big enough to suck the wheel of a police motorcycle.

Mr. Beanz 08-31-10 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by over1 (Post 11387690)
"Didn't you see that" is a classic 20/20 hindsight comment: not helpful, and not very compassionate for the injured.
Needless to say, constant corrections to avoid sequential obstacles, while avoiding preoccupied drivers on the road is too common, and, at a minimum, drastically reduces cycling pleasure, skinny tires or not.
.



Yeah, it's less classic, more helpful, and compassionate to bash and blame drivers for our inadequacies.:rolleyes:

Gotta love the "blame the driver" even when they are not mentioned or maybe not even involved.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 PM.