Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-10, 08:51 AM   #1
slipknot0129
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What exercise is good with bicycle riding?

I weigh 268 and decided that I can be fit and fat at the same time,sounds like a oxymoron. What other exercise would be good along with bicycle riding? Is walking good for helping me get better at bicycle riding?

I notice when I walk im having the same trouble as im riding my bike. The hills make me tired. So I figure if I can get better at walking then I can get better at riding bicycle.

Also what stretches should I do before I ride?
slipknot0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 08:58 AM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Weight matters less in swimming , and the joints are not loaded as much.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:05 AM   #3
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'
 
Fizzaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boy-z, Ideeeho
Bikes: The always reliable kuwie
Posts: 1,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ive been using an eliptical as of late seems to use a lot of the same muscles, i do the classic learned in P.E. in the third grade stretches ie: calf, quads i also stretch every part of my knees but mine are both bad
Fizzaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:06 AM   #4
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At this stage I would think that simplicity would be the best.

Ride more. Eat less. Repeat.
However, swimming is a good choice.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:13 AM   #5
Spire
山馬鹿
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
Bikes: TREK 1000 and a junk bike with a basket on the front to go to the shops.
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
swimming is a good choice, its not load bearing
__________________
http://www.cyclistsroadmap.com/eng/ - Cyclists' road map. Checkout which roads are good for cycling and rate roads in your area.
Spire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 09:29 AM   #6
Steely Dan
born again cyclist
 
Steely Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago
Bikes: I have five of brikes
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
along with being an avid cyclist, i'm also a big time kayaker. when i've got free time and the weather abides, you can usually find me out doing one of those two activities. i like kayaking because it exercises the arm, shoulder, and chest muscles that don't get much of a work out when i'm cycling. and if you attack the water hard, it can be a very good cardio/endurance workout as well.

and of course swimming is one of the best overall exercises on the planet, but we only get about 3 months of swimmable water a year here in chicago, and i won't pay for a gym membership because i hate paying for crap like that. gyms cost money, but nature is free. nature wins!
Steely Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:16 AM   #7
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot0129 View Post
I weigh 268 and decided that I can be fit and fat at the same time,sounds like a oxymoron. What other exercise would be good along with bicycle riding? Is walking good for helping me get better at bicycle riding?

I notice when I walk im having the same trouble as im riding my bike. The hills make me tired. So I figure if I can get better at walking then I can get better at riding bicycle.

Also what stretches should I do before I ride?
I am kinda hardcorer, but my method get results!

If you looking for results, then you got to WORK at it.and WORK hard!!

Hit the gym, cardio, light weight training, and more cardio.. WATCH what you eat CLOSELY.. No junk food,

Try to LIVE in the gym...At least 5 days a week.. And at least half hour sessions..

This will get results.

I have found out through the length of my years, if you want something you got to work hard. It ain't coming just by itself!!

Luck to you,
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:46 AM   #8
slipknot0129
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I told myself to eat alot and exercise alot and its actually making me eat less. I guess its reverse psychology for eating works better for me.

Their building this big wellness fitness center,it might have a pool. So I could get a bus and ride there each day. I totally forgot that I can ride a bus to the gym. I could also lock my bike at my brothers house then have the bus drive me there and I can ride as much as I want then the bus picks me up and drives me home.
slipknot0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:48 AM   #9
arej00dazed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes: '09 Giant Boulder SE
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yard work, mowing, home improvements. Combined with cycling, I lost 40lbs last summer. This summer all I've been able to do is cycle, even then not that much.
arej00dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 10:58 AM   #10
slipknot0129
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im not good at yard work. I tried to dig a pond and got so tired after only a few shovels of dirt. I can try. I might try to dig the pond but I have to get alot of money to buy the fish and other stuff to make it work.
slipknot0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 11:13 AM   #11
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot0129 View Post
Im not good at yard work. I tried to dig a pond and got so tired after only a few shovels of dirt. I can try. I might try to dig the pond but I have to get alot of money to buy the fish and other stuff to make it work.
Trust me, you do that gym bit, stick to it, and watch what you eat (lots of fruits, vegiees), you will see the pounds come off.. But, you gotta stick to it..

As you can see, I LOVE to motivate people. I know what daily exericise has done for me, I like to spread it ALL AROUND..

Luck again to you,
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:04 PM   #12
over1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stick with an elliptical, stationary cycling, and swimming for low impact, until you can drop some of the excess weight.
Wear some supportive, soft-heeled (athletic) shoes to limit impact while walking.
Your knees/ankles/feet/back/hips will complain less.
The more weight you can drop, the less of an effect heel impact has.
over1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 01:49 PM   #13
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom swims because that's all that her back and joints can handle. She didn't really start dropping weight, though, until she paid very close attention to what she was eating and how it affected her blood sugar... and that was because she was diagnosed with diabetes.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 04:26 PM   #14
Catgrrl70
It's faster than the bus
 
Catgrrl70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vashon Island
Bikes: Specialized Tri-Cross, Soma Smoothie ES, Gary Fisher retro hard tail
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I find both walking and yoga complement my cycling. I also do lots of rounds of pushups and ab work on top of it. Helps my core remain strong, my arms too. Plus the yoga unbends me where I constantly am bent. I know many cyclists who also practice yoga.
Catgrrl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 04:55 PM   #15
thehammerdog
Senior Member
 
thehammerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NWNJ
Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crunches
thehammerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 05:16 PM   #16
cruisintx
Senior Member
 
cruisintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fritch, Tx
Bikes: Felt F80, Trek 730, Raleigh M40
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"nature is free" I like that! and it is right on the money for no money. Well --- you might have to spend a few bucks. I use a sports-cord* to work upper arms, push-ups to work pecs, crunches and hip flexors to work core muscles and lunges to work the cycling muscles. That's really all one needs to stay or get in shape on a non-competitive level. The others are right about gym memberships costing too much money. Simple exercises in the great outdoors serve the purpose well and won't drain your bank account.

*Sports-cord = 10' long surgical tubing with 2" wide nylon straps attached as handles (be creative and build your own or find them at sporting goods stores ffor $45 to $60). There are about 45 different exercises that can be done with the cord; trust me I know this because I re-wrote a Sports-cord training manual with photographs while doing an internship in knee and shoulder rehab as part of getting my MS in health and wellness.
cruisintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:11 PM   #17
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisintx View Post
"nature is free" I like that! and it is right on the money for no money. Well --- you might have to spend a few bucks. I use a sports-cord* to work upper arms, push-ups to work pecs, crunches and hip flexors to work core muscles and lunges to work the cycling muscles. That's really all one needs to stay or get in shape on a non-competitive level. The others are right about gym memberships costing too much money. Simple exercises in the great outdoors serve the purpose well and won't drain your bank account.

*Sports-cord = 10' long surgical tubing with 2" wide nylon straps attached as handles (be creative and build your own or find them at sporting goods stores ffor $45 to $60). There are about 45 different exercises that can be done with the cord; trust me I know this because I re-wrote a Sports-cord training manual with photographs while doing an internship in knee and shoulder rehab as part of getting my MS in health and wellness.
The two DVD-based workout series I've gone through that fit both of those options are Insanity and P90X. I tell people who think about starting P90X that they can do just about every exercise in all twelve discs with just some cords/exercise bands. They're excellent if you travel a lot, too.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:18 PM   #18
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot0129 View Post
Also what stretches should I do before I ride?
I don't know anymore. There was a thread, probably over in Road Cycling, asking about stretching routines. With just a couple exceptions (well-worded exceptions, too), hardly anybody cared about stretching, myself included.

Cycling really isn't that hard of a workout. It's a lot more efficient than walking or running in terms of effort-to-mileage, but I don't think the amount of effort and mileage us mortals do is enough to warrant a stretching routine.

That said, I do some kind of stretching for other workouts. The trend these days -- and I've started agreeing with it -- is away from static stretching and towards dynamic stretching. Think of holding a stretch for a minute (static) versus moving around to loosen up (dynamic). Youtube will get you a lot of ideas.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:30 PM   #19
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,621
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I never stretch before riding. I just ride easily to warm up and if I still feel tight after 15 minutes, I'll stretch my back, shoulders, and legs.
caloso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:37 PM   #20
cruisintx
Senior Member
 
cruisintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fritch, Tx
Bikes: Felt F80, Trek 730, Raleigh M40
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
I don't know anymore. There was a thread, probably over in Road Cycling, asking about stretching routines. With just a couple exceptions (well-worded exceptions, too), hardly anybody cared about stretching, myself included.

Cycling really isn't that hard of a workout. It's a lot more efficient than walking or running in terms of effort-to-mileage, but I don't think the amount of effort and mileage us mortals do is enough to warrant a stretching routine.

That said, I do some kind of stretching for other workouts. The trend these days -- and I've started agreeing with it -- is away from static stretching and towards dynamic stretching. Think of holding a stretch for a minute (static) versus moving around to loosen up (dynamic). Youtube will get you a lot of ideas.
My apologies for being remiss in addressing the stretching question. Stretching is of upmost importance in any exercise routine. While stretching before a routine is mildly necessary, it is not nearly as important as thorough strecthing post exercise. First off, a brief warm-up using the chosen exerecise at a lower level is usually sufficient to ward off injurieis during the full-on effort. Maybe ride a slower pace for the first five minutes to warm up the muscles then let-er-rip. If you are feeling tight pre-ride, then a brief warm up with basic caesthenics and some brief stretching may be in order -- total time 10 to 12 minutes.

Now; post exercise stretching is very important, and BarracksSi has pretty much hit the nail squarely on the head. Muscles respond much more favorably to stretches held for up to a minute rather than trying to bounce them around and force them to stretch. Another good way to gauge your stretching is to reach the point of mild pain, then back off just a hair and take four very deep breaths. Hold the last breath for five to ten seconds then exhale slowly. Deep breathing facilitates relaxation of the muscles -- the end goal of stretching. Those four deep breaths and holding the last should take from 25 to 35 seconds. Do that twice on each muscle you stretch.

carry-on

Last edited by cruisintx; 08-31-10 at 06:55 PM.
cruisintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 06:48 PM   #21
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
T'ai Chi works really well for me.

The benefits as they pertain to cycling are lower body strength, posture, balance, coordination, flexibility, and fluidity of motion. All things that a cyclist needs. There are many other benefits too, but those are the ones I associate with cycling.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:02 PM   #22
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisintx View Post
My apologies for being remiss in addressing the stretching question. Stretching is of upmost importance in any exercise routine. While stretching before a routine is necessary, it is not nearly as important as thorough strecthing post exercise. First off, a brief warm-up using the chosen exerecise at a lower level is usually sufficient to ward off injurieis during the full-on effort. Maybe ride a slower pace for the first five minutes to warm up the muscles then let-er-rip. If you are feeling tight pre-ride, then a brief warm up with basic caesthenics and some brief stretching may be in order -- total time 10 to 12 minutes.
Mmmmm..Mostly agree. It's been a long time, however, since I've spent ten minutes stretching and warming up for anything, even outside of bike riding.

Quote:
Now; post exercise stretching is very important, and BarracksSi has pretty much hit the nail squarely on the head. Muscles respond much more favorably to stretches held for up to a minute rather than trying to bounce them around and force them to stretch. Another good way to gauge your stretching is to reach the point of mild pain, then back off just a hair and take four very deep breaths. Hold the last breath for five to ten seconds then exhale slowly. Deep breathing facilitates relaxation of the muscles -- the end goal of stretching. Those four deep breaths and holding the last should take from 25 to 35 seconds. Do that twice on each muscle you stretch.

carry-on
That wasn't my intent, though. Some light movement while the heart rate comes back down is good, like pedaling easy for the last mile before getting home (or walking around the block after a jog). But, I don't value long, deep stretches as much as I used to, going back to grade school soccer. These days, I've been doing well enough with some short stretching (depending on what I just did) and some moving around, avoiding plopping back into my chair immediately afterwards.

What I'm trying to say is that stretching is less important than 1) a highly varied set of workout routines, and 2) eating right. No amount of stretching, no matter how disciplined and thorough it is, will help unless you cross train and eat properly.

Again, as usual, YMMV... but I have to say that after trying everything else, the one thing that kicked my fitness into high gear was food discipline.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:04 PM   #23
slipknot0129
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over1 View Post
Stick with an elliptical, stationary cycling, and swimming for low impact, until you can drop some of the excess weight.
Wear some supportive, soft-heeled (athletic) shoes to limit impact while walking.
Your knees/ankles/feet/back/hips will complain less.
The more weight you can drop, the less of an effect heel impact has.
Yeah im gonna do some stationary bike riding at the gym until I get fit enough to ride my bike without getting tired too fast. Im gonna do stationary bike for a test to see how many miles on it I can handle. I'll see if I can do some martial arts if its not too late for the bus to pick me up.
slipknot0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:05 PM   #24
cruisintx
Senior Member
 
cruisintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fritch, Tx
Bikes: Felt F80, Trek 730, Raleigh M40
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
something else I should add here; I have noticed a few of the previous posters have so correctly stated "works really well for me", or something to that effect. In a nutshell, that is the most important aspect of any exercise routine, whether it be ballet, cycling or power lifting; you need to enjoy it in order to stick with it. If you can't stick with some type of exercise or combination of exercises for the long term, (til death do us part) then you will find it extremely difficult to attain ever higher levels of fitness and health.
cruisintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 07:12 PM   #25
cruisintx
Senior Member
 
cruisintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fritch, Tx
Bikes: Felt F80, Trek 730, Raleigh M40
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Mmmmm..Mostly agree. It's been a long time, however, since I've spent ten minutes stretching and warming up for anything, even outside of bike riding.



. . . .
What I'm trying to say is that stretching is less important than 1) a highly varied set of workout routines, and 2) eating right. No amount of stretching, no matter how disciplined and thorough it is, will help unless you cross train and eat properly.

Again, as usual, YMMV... but I have to say that after trying everything else, the one thing that kicked my fitness into high gear was food discipline.
All I can say to that is pick up any textbook on exercise physiology, any reputable journal of medicne or health or physiology or walk into any college classroom of exercise physiology and you will quickly find out that stretching, no matter what level of exercise, is one of the most impoortant parts of the whole routine. I do agree with you that a well rounded nutrition program is equally important though.
cruisintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:48 PM.