Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My legs are on fire!

    Alright; I shaved my legs. Well, I shaved the bottom bits first; then told I was shaving in the wrong direction. So i shaved up; my thighs and knees and the like. Well, I've got razor burn on every portion I shaved correctly! ;_; Any tips? Anyone throught about lasering? What about waxing? God I hurt.
    Woot: 'bLog

  2. #2
    Glutton for Punishment
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    2,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about your legs; have your head examined.

  3. #3
    Senior Member rykoala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mswantak
    Forget about your legs; have your head examined.
    Oh my god I just about burst out laughing here at work. If this was slashdot I'd mod this up +5 FUNNAY

  4. #4
    dfchatten
    Guest
    I shaved for the first time two weeks ago. I used Nair and it worked really well. No pain, No itch, No burn. And whatever spots that I may have missed I got with the razor and shaving cream. If you choose to use a hair remover, then make sure you follow the instructions and try a smaller area first to ensure that you do not have any adverse reaction. It did take a while the first time, and depending on how high you shave up, you have to take it really slow around (those parts)

    It feels great showing off all the hard work on the (GUNS) legs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member d2create's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Houston we have a problem
    Posts
    2,911
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The queer eye guys say to NOT shave against the direction of growth because it will irritate your skin (ie razor bumps/burn). They are usually talking about face hair, but it should be the same for any part of the body.
    2008 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen
    Pics and Specs Here!

    2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29er

  6. #6
    . . . rosebud . . . Diggy18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Outlook
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you shave your legs? It makes you go faster? Less wind drag? (I'm serious, I really don't know. I've seen a few threads like this, and I always wonder, "So, are these people guys?", but I was afraid to ask.)

  7. #7
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because my girl thinks it's hot.
    Woot: 'bLog

  8. #8
    No pain, no gain. PainTrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California's Gold That's Amazing!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100, Windsor Fens
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a trick that, um, 'exotic dancers' use re: shaving 'sensitive' parts. Coat the area with deodorant when finished (not antiperspirant!).

    Don't ask how I know. I just do

  9. #9
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x_X It's killing me. It hurts to walk, man.
    Woot: 'bLog

  10. #10
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rykoala
    Oh my god I just about burst out laughing here at work. If this was slashdot I'd mod this up +5 FUNNAY
    Ah ha! So you admit reading bikeforums and /. is all you do at work!

  11. #11
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggy18
    Why do you shave your legs? It makes you go faster? Less wind drag? (I'm serious, I really don't know. I've seen a few threads like this, and I always wonder, "So, are these people guys?", but I was afraid to ask.)
    Sorry, no. Shaving makes you SLOWER.
    The irregular surface on a golf ball helps it travel farther, faster, and stay airborne longer.
    By having hairy legs and arms, the irregular surface on your skin will also help keep you going farther, faster, and stay airborne longer.

  12. #12
    . . . rosebud . . . Diggy18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Outlook
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Sorry, no. Shaving makes you SLOWER.
    The irregular surface on a golf ball helps it travel farther, faster, and stay airborne longer.
    By having hairy legs and arms, the irregular surface on your skin will also help keep you going farther, faster, and stay airborne longer.
    Heh, maybe I should try biking with a gorilla suit on for extra power then.

  13. #13
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O_o I have a feeling I got no help.

    -_-; I was hoping to get some intelligent answers through all the fun poking. Haha, laugh it up.

    Were you joking about the hair/golf ball thing? I hope, because there is no similaritys. Lol. I know it doesn't make you faster, however, it must serve some purpose as near everyone I see in the pros does it.

    I kinda like my legs shaved, actually. except the razor burn part...
    Woot: 'bLog

  14. #14
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O_o I have a feeling I got no help.

    -_-; I was hoping to get some intelligent answers through all the fun poking. Haha, laugh it up.

    Were you joking about the hair/golf ball thing? I hope, because there is no similaritys. Lol. I know it doesn't make you faster, however, it must serve some purpose as near everyone I see in the pros does it.

    I kinda like my legs shaved, actually. except the razor burn part...
    Woot: 'bLog

  15. #15
    The Cornfield Kid
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Iowa
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR 2
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently in the same position as you about a month ago. First it will take some time for your skin to get used to being shaved, your legs are used to it, so the skin is SUPER tender. Second I highly recommend geting Gelete's (sp?) Ultra sensitive shaving gel, it works WONDERS! Plus i hate to admit but i use women's razors for my legs, it looks weird when i buy them, but it works really well. Lastly your skin is really dry once you ve shaved, some people use lotion, some people use deoderhant, i myself use baby oil, and it keeps me pretty rash free. Mostly your just going to have to get used to it for about the first 2-3 times you shave, remember when you starting shaving your face, it hurt alot, samething basicly. Good luck and i hope this helps you more then the jokes have.

  16. #16
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I do appreciate the jokes, the last post was very helpful. Sorry for that double post up there.. I am on a cell phone.

    My girlfriend gasped when I took off my pants tonight (no pun intended). I look like I made love to poison ivy.
    Woot: 'bLog

  17. #17
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    Sorry, no. Shaving makes you SLOWER.
    The irregular surface on a golf ball helps it travel farther, faster, and stay airborne longer.
    By having hairy legs and arms, the irregular surface on your skin will also help keep you going farther, faster, and stay airborne longer.
    Actually slvoid makes a lot of sense here. Well kind of. What's in effect here is what's called Reynolds Numbers. As cyclists, we are actually pretty small, compared to say an F-15. We are also pretty slow. At the size we are and the speeds we travel, we are actually more efficient with a "rough" surface. What happens is that the texture helps to break surface tension of the air as it passes by, which lowers turbulance. Shaving works for swimmers because water has a greater viscosity than air, but truth be told, science doesn't support shaving for cyclists. Of course if it gives you a mental edge because you think you will be faster, put a red strip on the bike and ride like the wind! If the S.O. likes it, go for it and forget the science.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  18. #18
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phiber
    My girlfriend gasped when I took off my pants tonight (no pun intended). I look like I made love to poison ivy.
    What exactly does that mean? Of course I'm one of those odd people that could actually make love IN poison ivy and never get a rash from the stuff. The mosquitoes don't bite me either...

    On a side note, I hear people claim that they shave so that bandages don't hurt coming off. Pfffffff.....either get over it, bleed, or don't crash.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  19. #19
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It begs the question though, if shaving does not actually make you go faster, then why do most pros do it? Why does Lance shave? Why don't they put little carbon hairs on their bikes?

    I definatly don't do it for speed. I've a couple buddys that race mountain bikes and they both shave their legs. I have also known runners who shave their legs.

    If aerodynamics don't mean much to us and our speeds, why do time trialists look more like an F-16 than alf?
    Woot: 'bLog

  20. #20
    Formerly Known as Newbie Juha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,738
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Methinks we need a Shave Nazi around here to educate us on the proper etiquette in this matter.

    --J
    To err is human. To moo is bovine.

    Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


    Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
    Community guidelines

  21. #21
    . . . rosebud . . . Diggy18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Outlook
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phiber
    I definatly don't do it for speed. I've a couple buddys that race mountain bikes and they both shave their legs. I have also known runners who shave their legs.
    Why do your friends that race mountain bikes shave their legs?

  22. #22
    Tom (ex)Builder twahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    2,814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phiber
    If aerodynamics don't mean much to us and our speeds, why do time trialists look more like an F-16 than alf?
    It's not that aerodynamics don't mean much, they certainly do. The Reynolds effect is a part of aerodynamics. The shape of the object, in this case the combination of a human being and a bicycle, is very important. The shape makes a big difference even in much smaller items, for instance the fin on a 6" tall model rocket. A square fin is least efficient, rounding both leading and trailing edges is more efficient, rounding the leading edge and feathering the trailing edge is even more efficient. The surface makes a difference too though, that's what the Reynolds effect refers to. On smaller items, like us, going through the air, surface texture helps to make the turbulent layer smaller, closer to the surface, than a smooth surface. It has to do with the size of the object related to the speed and the viscosity of the medium through which it's traveling.

    Now that I think more about it though, hair, especially on some of us, may protrude far enough from the surface to be beyond the turbulent layer, although I would think that it being blown back that wouldn't be the case. I know that they've done a lot of wind tunnel testing, I don't know whether or not they have done it with and without body hair.

    Another interesting test would be to have a slightly textured paint surface, rather than smooth and shiny. As with body hair, I doubt there's that much of a difference, as the Reynolds effect is a pretty small part of the overall aerodynamic picture, but it would be interesting to see results. An F-16 mayb be very aerodynamic, but it's paint is also not smooth, except when one is dressed up in red white and blue for air shows. In model aircraft, we discovered years ago that cloth coverings are more efficient in the air than smooth, but smooth plastic coverings are easier to apply and sure do look nice.
    Tom

    "It hurts so good..."

  23. #23
    Cyclocrosser.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Unit Zero
    My Bikes
    '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twahl
    It's not that aerodynamics don't mean much, they certainly do. The Reynolds effect is a part of aerodynamics. The shape of the object, in this case the combination of a human being and a bicycle, is very important. The shape makes a big difference even in much smaller items, for instance the fin on a 6" tall model rocket. A square fin is least efficient, rounding both leading and trailing edges is more efficient, rounding the leading edge and feathering the trailing edge is even more efficient. The surface makes a difference too though, that's what the Reynolds effect refers to. On smaller items, like us, going through the air, surface texture helps to make the turbulent layer smaller, closer to the surface, than a smooth surface. It has to do with the size of the object related to the speed and the viscosity of the medium through which it's traveling.

    Now that I think more about it though, hair, especially on some of us, may protrude far enough from the surface to be beyond the turbulent layer, although I would think that it being blown back that wouldn't be the case. I know that they've done a lot of wind tunnel testing, I don't know whether or not they have done it with and without body hair.

    Another interesting test would be to have a slightly textured paint surface, rather than smooth and shiny. As with body hair, I doubt there's that much of a difference, as the Reynolds effect is a pretty small part of the overall aerodynamic picture, but it would be interesting to see results. An F-16 mayb be very aerodynamic, but it's paint is also not smooth, except when one is dressed up in red white and blue for air shows. In model aircraft, we discovered years ago that cloth coverings are more efficient in the air than smooth, but smooth plastic coverings are easier to apply and sure do look nice.
    You make a wonderful point there. It would be insteresting to see someone run a rough painted bike as opposed to a smooth one. Or perhaps just on the leading edges of the frame.

    As far as the reason why my buddies in MTBing shave their legs? For crash recovery.
    Woot: 'bLog

  24. #24
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan ulrich (or someone who had a bianchi) had a time trial helmet with dimples on it like a golf ball once.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Hornbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    Orbea Diva, Santa Cruz Blur
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, men supposedly shave for any or all of the following reasons:
    1. Road rash and the healing of it. Think of how often pros crash (particularly Tyler!)-that's a lot of bandage removal!
    2. Aerodynamics, which is most likely bogus, as stated above.
    3. It's a cultural thing.

    I think #3 is the main thing. Pros do it, and the rest do to imitate the pros. Guys I know do it because it makes them feel more hard core. The rest of the reasons are just rationalizing, I think. Must admit, I ride mostly with "shavers," and now hairy man-legs in lycra look kinda weird to me. Just one girl's opinion (or two, if you count Phiber's girl).

    Re. razor burn, don't use soap (until your legs are used to the abuse), use shaving cream or gel. Only use sharp razors (beware of really cheap disposables, or dull blades). Shaving against the grain is ok once your legs are used to sharp objects periodically scraping them. Basically it's like your face, I suspect!

    Did you use an electric first to thin it out, or did you go straight to a razor? Cause that could be the problem too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •