Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-10, 08:37 AM   #1
antimike
...happy bike owner...
Thread Starter
 
antimike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Huachuca City, AZ
Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 w SRAM Rival, 2010 Access XCL9.5 29er
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chainstay Clearance Issue Non-Drive Side - Kicking While Pedaling

I'm looking into purchasing a road bike, but this problem isn't uncommon for me when I'm riding my mountain bike.

When I am pedaling, I have a problem with hitting the non-drive side chainstay with my foot. I was test riding a Fuji Roubaix 2.0 on Saturday and the bike felt great! It was confortable, I wasn't extremely stretched out, and it was a killer deal.

I wasn't ready to purchase the bike because I wanted to test out more bikes.

As a reference point, I have test ridden a Felt or 2, a Gianty Defy 2, and the Fuji Roubiax.

I wasn't using clipless pedals or proper road shoes. I was just using my tennis shoes. US Size 12 4E.

I asked the guys at Performance about it and they said to try and not twist your foot so much and I did and that pretty much cured the problem. Also that when I'm in my roadshoes and using clipless pedals, that the problem would probably go away because I'd be locked in with little room for twisting.

Is this a common problem? Are my feet just beasts and out of control?

Hopefully this won't be a problem. I'm not looking into a full carbon at this point, but maybe in the future I would like to get one. I figure that if I repeatedly hit the chainstay it would cause a crack which would cause that portion of the frame to fail.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

-antimike
antimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 09:46 AM   #2
Velo Dog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could be a foot-size issue...I wear size 15 or 16 shoes (Euro 51 or 52), and I used to hit my heel on the stay occasionally. Over the years I guess I've learned to hold my feet straighter or something, because it rarely happens now on the same bikes. I have a slightly duck-footed walk, too, unless I think about it, and the two seem related.
I've been doing it for so long I don't even think about it anymore, so if your aberration is mild, that may be all you need. If not, it's possible to shim the pedals out a few millimeters. Not an ideal solution because of the leverage, which can crack the crankarms, but people do it.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:14 AM   #3
antimike
...happy bike owner...
Thread Starter
 
antimike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Huachuca City, AZ
Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 w SRAM Rival, 2010 Access XCL9.5 29er
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
Could be a foot-size issue...I wear size 15 or 16 shoes (Euro 51 or 52), and I used to hit my heel on the stay occasionally. Over the years I guess I've learned to hold my feet straighter or something, because it rarely happens now on the same bikes. I have a slightly duck-footed walk, too, unless I think about it, and the two seem related.
I've been doing it for so long I don't even think about it anymore, so if your aberration is mild, that may be all you need. If not, it's possible to shim the pedals out a few millimeters. Not an ideal solution because of the leverage, which can crack the crankarms, but people do it.
Thanks for the info. Is there a possiblity to get a longer spindle at the end of the pedal to put you out further way from the chainstays?
antimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 11:27 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antimike View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there a possiblity to get a longer spindle at the end of the pedal to put you out further way from the chainstays?
This is one possibilty but You have to try to concentrate on keeping the toes in while pedalling. For the majority of riders- Riding with toe in on the foot will also decrease some knee problems aswell. You may not want to go there but Clipless pedals can be set up so that you will always have toe in by the position of the cleats.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 11:56 AM   #5
antimike
...happy bike owner...
Thread Starter
 
antimike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Huachuca City, AZ
Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 w SRAM Rival, 2010 Access XCL9.5 29er
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
This is one possibilty but You have to try to concentrate on keeping the toes in while pedalling. For the majority of riders- Riding with toe in on the foot will also decrease some knee problems aswell. You may not want to go there but Clipless pedals can be set up so that you will always have toe in by the position of the cleats.
I found some old posts on BF about using this product called knee savers, but since I AM going clipless, I will work the positioning of the cleat on the shoe and working on toe-in when I get my bike. I already have shoes, and I will look for pedals that may have a little bit longer spindle built in so I can avoid 3rd party products.

I was looking at the 105 pedals due to the suggestions of users in a post I made about looking for pedals. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ing-for-Pedals...

Thanks for the help.

-antimike
antimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 01:08 PM   #6
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Kneesavers (pedal axle extenders) :
http://harriscyclery.net/product/kne...acers-1331.htm
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.