Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-10, 06:22 PM   #1
indyjanie
Member
Thread Starter
 
indyjanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stupid question...

I was just reading posts and I saw a picture of brake levers on the down tube. I'm amazed, never saw such a thing. What is the purpose, and really, really stupidly, I have to ask, do you still use your hands?
indyjanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 06:43 PM   #2
xtrajack
xtrajack
 
xtrajack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maine
Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brake levers on the down tube? I don't believe that I have ever seen such a a thing either, I'm not sure why they would do that.
xtrajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 06:57 PM   #3
Marlin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you sure they weren't shift levers?
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 07:50 PM   #4
labrat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sioux Falls
Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only levers I've ever seen mounted to the down tubes are SHIFT levers.
labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 03:33 AM   #5
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,679
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
The OP is probably young enough not to have seen shift levers on the down tube before, and doesn't know that is what he saw.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 04:44 AM   #6
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,768
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
The OP is probably young enough not to have seen shift levers on the down tube before, and doesn't know that is what he saw.


That would be my guess...

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 04:58 AM   #7
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, there are people who put their brake levers on all kinds of places, BSNYC features such pictures all the time (usually of fixed gear bikes), including behind the seat, on the top tube etc. Why people do that? Possibly because they don't know any better, because they cut the brake cables too short, because they think it's funny, to flaunt opposition to compulsory brake laws without risking getting a traffic ticket, etc.
(eta: and no, of course none of that are good enough reasons to do something so ridiculous)
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 05:58 AM   #8
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
bike as art
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 07:27 AM   #9
indyjanie
Member
Thread Starter
 
indyjanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I just reread the thread, and yes, I misread, the question I guess was where are your "shift levers, are they on the brake levers or on the down tube"

So the same question applies though - do you use your hands? Do they not make them anymore?

And while the OP is in her 30s, which to some circles is young and other circles is old, the OP would appreciate you not having a discussion as if the OP is not still in the room

I started riding bikes in the eighties, so maybe they are pre-80s? Thanks for the input if anyone can clarify - already, yes, is clarified they are shift levers....but why? And do you use your hands or knees or what?
indyjanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 07:30 AM   #10
indyjanie
Member
Thread Starter
 
indyjanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
Well, there are people who put their brake levers on all kinds of places, BSNYC features such pictures all the time (usually of fixed gear bikes), including behind the seat, on the top tube etc. Why people do that? Possibly because they don't know any better, because they cut the brake cables too short, because they think it's funny, to flaunt opposition to compulsory brake laws without risking getting a traffic ticket, etc.
(eta: and no, of course none of that are good enough reasons to do something so ridiculous)
I get your point about it being accident or maybe for no good reason, but does this mean brake levers can be moved for people with disabilities who can't squeeze their hand? Because that seems interesting...
indyjanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 09:00 AM   #11
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Downtube shift levers were very common on drop bar bikes for a long time. Pictured are SunTour Power Shifters, my favorites, with a racheting mechanism.
Similar stem-mounted shifters were also common.
All shift levers that I am aware of, with a few rare exceptions, are finger-operated.
Downtube shifters are occasionally seen on bikes in the Land of the Hoosiers.
Downtube shifters were common at least through the '80's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-Downtube_sh&.JPG (79.8 KB, 4 views)
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 09:21 AM   #12
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,996
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
It'a a vintage road bike thing. Not something you find on mountain bikes because of control issues.
curbtender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 09:45 AM   #13
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom
 
apclassic9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Millstone WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
definately shift levers - such a bike would have had squeeze handles for the brakes on the handlebars.
__________________
As with mud, life, too, slides by.
apclassic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 10:55 AM   #14
rogwilco
snob
 
rogwilco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vienna
Bikes:
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjanie View Post
I get your point about it being accident or maybe for no good reason, but does this mean brake levers can be moved for people with disabilities who can't squeeze their hand? Because that seems interesting...
Yes, of course, it's a very simple mechanic. So, if you were born in Chernobyl and have a third arm growing out of your thigh, putting the break lever on the seat tube could be useful.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 11:05 AM   #15
garage sale GT
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjanie View Post
So the same question applies though - do you use your hands? Do they not make them anymore?
I think the Fuji Newest 4.0 is available with them because the lowest brifter systems can add $100 or more to the price of a bike.
garage sale GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 12:04 PM   #16
indyjanie
Member
Thread Starter
 
indyjanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogwilco View Post
Yes, of course, it's a very simple mechanic. So, if you were born in Chernobyl and have a third arm growing out of your thigh, putting the break lever on the seat tube could be useful.
indyjanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 12:06 PM   #17
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage sale GT View Post
I think the Fuji Newest 4.0 is available with them because the lowest brifter systems can add $100 or more to the price of a bike.
retro
http://www.clarksvilleschwinn.com/im...4_yellow_4.jpg
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 12:21 PM   #18
cyclist2000
Senior Member
 
cyclist2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up
Bikes: Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1), looking for a Ti frame
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
all my bikes through from the 60s-mid 80s had downtube shifters. These were common on higher end road bikes.

I have never seen anything but handbrakes or coaster brakes. I have seen some bikes that have both brakes operated by a single brake lever for a person that didn't have ability to brake with the other hand.
cyclist2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 03:04 PM   #19
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 46,679
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjanie View Post
So the same question applies though - do you use your hands? Do they not make them anymore? ... I started riding bikes in the eighties, so maybe they are pre-80s?

What else would you use???? Of course you use your hands.

And downtube shifters were definitely still around in the 80s ... possibly even into the early 90s. If you started riding in the 80s, chances are you would have had a bicycle with downtube shifters ... or maybe your bicycle was one of the old single speeds with coaster brakes back then?? Or were you one of the early mountain bike crowd? I'm trying to think how you could possibly have started riding in the 80s and not know what downtube shifters are.


Edit: It occurred to me that if you're 30, you were born in 1980 (how old does that make me feel!!). If that's the case, you were on tricycles and children's bicycles through the 80s and likely graduated to a mtn bike in the 90s. Is that correct?

Last edited by Machka; 10-24-10 at 07:54 PM.
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 03:50 PM   #20
ro-monster
Senior Member
 
ro-monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes: Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I so do not miss downtube shifters.
ro-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 11:21 AM   #21
indyjanie
Member
Thread Starter
 
indyjanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my thirties...not thirty. Lol I'm a seventies baby which means although I was on two wheels on my way to school five miles away I was definitely not on a high end bike! Between you and me, though, we can pretend I'm still thirty and I'd be happy with it, although I'm not sure my oldest would like the math....ha! :-)
indyjanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 11:24 AM   #22
indyjanie
Member
Thread Starter
 
indyjanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oops, forgot to answer the other part...this is my first mountain bike. all the rest were handmedown kmart ten speeds, as we called them. which I now recognize as road bikes with the drop bars. :-)
indyjanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.