Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike Fit Question: When your left leg tracks inside?

    Hi

    I have a left leg-length discrepancy of .5 inches and I've made some adjustments that promote good leg alignment and make me comfortable on the bike, but I tend to develop ITB in my left knee on longer rides.

    Like many others in here, for the past few weeks I've been hammering the stationary bikes at the local gym with no knee pain whatsoever. These are standards bikes with Wellgo pedals. Now what I've noticed while pedaling is that my right knee is perfectly straight but my left knee tracks inside. The interesting part is that I have no knee pain or feeling of weakness whatsoever!

    So my question is!: Is there a general fit tech
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearland, Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Posts
    5,544
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xfimpg, That is an issue that's likely beyond the expertise of most bike shops. Ask in your area for some advanced help. To me, and I have no real help, it seems that a clipless pedal system that allows for alot of float, which would allow your left foot to turn in slightly and remain clipped in or using standard platform pedals would be a start.

    Brad

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its hurting on the inside or outside around the knee rotating the cleat may help but if its in the center or under the cap it may be from the seat to low. Is it the longer leg hurting? If you have a pedal system with a larger cleat maybe you could try and make a .5'' wedge for the shoe on the shorter leg and see if that helps.

  4. #4
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Hi

    I have a left leg-length discrepancy of .5 inches and I've made some adjustments that promote good leg alignment and make me comfortable on the bike, but I tend to develop ITB in my left knee on longer rides.

    Like many others in here, for the past few weeks I've been hammering the stationary bikes at the local gym with no knee pain whatsoever. These are standards bikes with Wellgo pedals. Now what I've noticed while pedaling is that my right knee is perfectly straight but my left knee tracks inside. The interesting part is that I have no knee pain or feeling of weakness whatsoever!

    So my question is!: Is there a general fit tech
    The difference here is in the pedals that are used on stationary bikes and your bike clips (if I read that right). Plain ol' rubber tread platform pedals allow huge amounts of both float and wiggle room which IMO you need based on your stationary bike riding.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    888
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orthopedic build up of one shoe, will equalize length.

  6. #6
    Senior Member xfimpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    The difference here is in the pedals that are used on stationary bikes and your bike clips (if I read that right). Plain ol' rubber tread platform pedals allow huge amounts of both float and wiggle room which IMO you need based on your stationary bike riding.
    Thanks, makes perfect sense. I still have straps on top of my feet, but that doesn't really stop the foot-float movement.
    ______________________________________________

    I just wanna ride my bike.

  7. #7
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfimpg View Post
    Thanks, makes perfect sense. I still have straps on top of my feet, but that doesn't really stop the foot-float movement.
    As a point of interest......there is a platform pedal with a simple strap over the foot that might help on your bike. These pedals are called Wellgo Power Grip pedals. You can buy just the straps to add to your favorite platform or the whole pedal with straps.

    straps only.....
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-St...2&sr=8-1-fkmr2

    pedal w/strap....
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-Sp...5&sr=8-2-fkmr2
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  8. #8
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,259
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leg length shim.

    I have one, it works.

    http://www.bikefit.com/products.php
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •