Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-11, 10:35 AM   #1
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What exercises do you do?

As part of my new yearís resolution, Iíve been working out a lot more to stay healthy and to look and feel better. And part of my workout consists of leg exercises (squats, leg extensions, lunges,etc.). But, if my secondary goal was to be a stronger rider, which exercises would I need to focus on? Or would I simply need to get one of those indoor trainers?
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 10:58 AM   #2
knobster
.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, since you're in Houston and don't really have a bad Winter to deal with, I suggest getting on your bike and riding. Maybe do some interval training. Lots of books out there on that topic.
__________________
Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.
knobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:19 AM   #3
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Get one of Joe Friel's of Chris Carmichael's books. I think that the latter does one for the time strapped rider. You should also consider doing core strength exercise for strong abs (not just the 6-pack one) and lower back.

Turbo trainers are excellent for controlled interval sessions with a specific training purpose.

If you can, find a club which accommodates newbies - they usually have a club coach and even if they haven't, there should be lots of (mostly )good advice from experienced riders available
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:25 AM   #4
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobster View Post
Well, since you're in Houston and don't really have a bad Winter to deal with, I suggest getting on your bike and riding. Maybe do some interval training. Lots of books out there on that topic.
I pretty much ride 30-40 miles every weekend. I would invest in some good lights so i can ride when I get home, but I want to incorporate weight training into my routine as well. Keep in mind, my primary goal is to stay healthy, feel/look better - this includes building more muscle. My secondary goal is to be a stronger rider. With that said, what exercises do cyclists focus on? Squats? Calf raises?
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:27 AM   #5
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbman View Post
Get one of Joe Friel's of Chris Carmichael's books. I think that the latter does one for the time strapped rider. You should also consider doing core strength exercise for strong abs (not just the 6-pack one) and lower back.

Turbo trainers are excellent for controlled interval sessions with a specific training purpose.

If you can, find a club which accommodates newbies - they usually have a club coach and even if they haven't, there should be lots of (mostly )good advice from experienced riders available
I didn't even think about core or back exercises!! Definitely have to include those in my routine...
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:47 AM   #6
travelmama
Senior Member
 
travelmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Beach,CA
Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Swim
travelmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 12:10 PM   #7
knobster
.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate riding in the rain. I live in Portland... Because of this, I do P90X workouts. They are really great all over body workouts including cardio and don't require you go to the gym or get a bunch of equipment. I really like them a lot. They have also done a good job at keeping me from having to start over each year like I was having to do.
__________________
Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.
knobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 02:45 PM   #8
irwin7638
Senior Member
 
irwin7638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi.
Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
Posts: 2,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan View Post
I pretty much ride 30-40 miles every weekend. I would invest in some good lights so i can ride when I get home, but I want to incorporate weight training into my routine as well. Keep in mind, my primary goal is to stay healthy, feel/look better - this includes building more muscle. My secondary goal is to be a stronger rider. With that said, what exercises do cyclists focus on? Squats? Calf raises?
I do some daily weight training, but only for maintenance. I've been doing it all my life and don't really try to grow. I use some dumb bells at home for upper body rather than go to the gym. Each day I do two exercises for a different body part; one day-biceps, next day-triceps,third-shoulders,fourth-back, fifth-chest. That can be done in less than 15 minutes a day. If you are riding a lot you don't need to worry about your legs unless you have some specific goal there. This routine works for me because it doesn't take much time and I rarely increase weights. This was taken 2 years ago at age 57.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0272.jpg (97.0 KB, 33 views)
irwin7638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:03 PM   #9
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan View Post
I pretty much ride 30-40 miles every weekend.
What about the rest of the week? Is commuting not an option (knowing that some people live a long ways from work and would be riding a century every day)?
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:32 PM   #10
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
What about the rest of the week? Is commuting not an option (knowing that some people live a long ways from work and would be riding a century every day)?
Unforunately, commuting is not an option for a few reasons. First, my wife and I carpool, to save on gas. Second, while it's only 26 miles to work, I would have to map out a route that cuts through neighborhoods, and that might make the distance close to double. Lastly, it gets pretty hot in Houston right around May and I definitely don't want to be all sweaty when I get to the office...
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:37 PM   #11
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
26 miles is roughly 2 to 2 1/2 hours commute time, which is up to 5 hours a day; and yeah, you'd need showers at the office.

I'll add a +1 for P90X, then. You could also dig into Insanity when P90X gets to be too routine. Last year, P90X -- plus watching what I ate -- helped get me into the best shape I've been in a long time. I have no intention of becoming a noodly-armed cycling specialist, though.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:40 PM   #12
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
I do some daily weight training, but only for maintenance. I've been doing it all my life and don't really try to grow. I use some dumb bells at home for upper body rather than go to the gym. Each day I do two exercises for a different body part; one day-biceps, next day-triceps,third-shoulders,fourth-back, fifth-chest. That can be done in less than 15 minutes a day. If you are riding a lot you don't need to worry about your legs unless you have some specific goal there. This routine works for me because it doesn't take much time and I rarely increase weights. This was taken 2 years ago at age 57.
Back in the day, I used to just focus on upper body as well. My friend and I would spend a couple hours every other day in my basement doing bench presses (flat, incline, decline), dumbbell presses, flies, etc. Now I really want to strengthen my legs as well. Unfortunately, I don't have all the time I used to when I was still in college. I currently have some adjustable dumbbells (power blocks) at home and try to finish my whole routine in 30 mins. After I finish a set of dumbbell presses, I'd go straight to doing a leg exercise... and then immediately back to upper body. I try to do this every other day. On my off days, I jog on the treadmill. On the weekends, I ride my bike...

By the way, where in Michigan do you live? My wife and I used to live in Warren and my parents live in Bloomfield Hills right off Square Lake between Telegraph and Woodward.
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:48 PM   #13
crazzywolfie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orangeville, Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmama View Post
Swim
+1
just exercise and weight loss in general could make you a stronger rider. i like doing chin ups and i also do push up with my feet raised on a couch or chair.
crazzywolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 06:59 AM   #14
clydeosaur
Senior Member
 
clydeosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central PA
Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hit the weights for the maintenance as well. Every so often I change up my routines to keep it interesting and my muscles fresh. I have a power rack & a power tower with a nice assortment of dumbbells out in the garage. I have a four day routine so that I hit the entire body. After work I do my riding and / my running. When the season hits, I partake in some charity adventure racing. I just signed up for my first warrior dash. It's nice to have a goal to work towards.
clydeosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 07:02 AM   #15
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan View Post
I currently have some adjustable dumbbells (power blocks) at home...
Those look pretty cool. I had been wanting the Bowflex click-adjust kind, but Powerblocks might be even better.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 11:30 AM   #16
knobster
.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Those look pretty cool. I had been wanting the Bowflex click-adjust kind, but Powerblocks might be even better.
I have the Bowflex one's. They work pretty well but the thing I don't care for is the size. Some exercises it's pretty difficult to use them and I end up using standard dumbbells. Plus if I had to buy again, I'd want more than 50 lbs. Powerblocks are more expensive, but may be better in some aspects.
__________________
Demented internet tail wagging imbicile.
knobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 02:56 PM   #17
Shu_Fly
Wolf Bait
 
Shu_Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan View Post
As part of my new yearís resolution, Iíve been working out a lot more to stay healthy and to look and feel better. And part of my workout consists of leg exercises (squats, leg extensions, lunges,etc.). But, if my secondary goal was to be a stronger rider, which exercises would I need to focus on? Or would I simply need to get one of those indoor trainers?
These. Hexagonals. Will do all you request.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (6.7 KB, 1 views)
Shu_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 04:49 PM   #18
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobster View Post
I have the Bowflex one's. They work pretty well but the thing I don't care for is the size. Some exercises it's pretty difficult to use them and I end up using standard dumbbells. Plus if I had to buy again, I'd want more than 50 lbs. Powerblocks are more expensive, but may be better in some aspects.
50 lbs is more than enough for me for everything but bent-over rows (but I don't have a bench at home to do those safely). I'm no powerlifter, but I'm no Rasmussen, either. Pushups and pullups take care of the big weights for me anyway.

Speaking of pullups, how about getting a pullup bar? Either one that hooks into a doorway or a more permanent installation.

I'll also throw in resistance bands (partly since P90X was mentioned earlier). They're usable for just about anything that doesn't require you to move your feet. I put them in my luggage whenever I go on a trip.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 04:59 PM   #19
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Bikes:
Posts: 8,387
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
I like my Concept 2 rower. They can be found used, in good condition, and that's how I got mine.

But the best exercise is the one you will actually do.

But, you did ask for focus.

So, you need strength. I have just started fooling around with kettlebells.
The basic kettlebell move is a half squat where you swing the thing up on the way up.
That is a similar motion to pedalling. I have a 5 and a 10, and hope to get a few more
before Spring.

Another option is single leg strengthening exercises like the Step Up, Lunge and Bulgarian Split Squat

I like deadlifts, but form is crucial if you want to avoid injury. Very good for the hams and backside.

However... what ya need is an actual training schedule, a periodised schedule designed for you.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 05:52 PM   #20
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Posts: 16,290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan View Post
Unforunately, commuting is not an option for a few reasons. First, my wife and I carpool, to save on gas. Second, while it's only 26 miles to work, I would have to map out a route that cuts through neighborhoods, and that might make the distance close to double. Lastly, it gets pretty hot in Houston right around May and I definitely don't want to be all sweaty when I get to the office...
Have you read some of the posts in the Commuting forum? You could drive/bike or bus/bike or ...
Most commuters arrive at the office all sweaty, at least in the warmer months. Read some of the threads on cleaning up at work.
If you can't commute I'd suggest investing in some lights and riding after work rather than riding the trainer. Cheaper too.
__________________


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 06:32 PM   #21
DGozinya
Senior Member
 
DGozinya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I endorse the rowing as well. It helps the core and esp. the back muscles. After using it for 6 months, my back holds up my body much better and BONUS: less hand numbness! I am able to support myself better and lightly rest my hands on the bars where before I was more of a "leaner" and suffered from ulnar nerve problems.

It is also a very good cardiovascular workout. In wintertime in Chicago, I wuss out and hit the trainer, but that is god-awful boring. I split the days and times up with rowing and still feel I'm getting a great workout.
DGozinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 10:52 PM   #22
cyclist2000
Senior Member
 
cyclist2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up
Bikes: Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1), looking for a Ti frame
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just use a trainer and a couple of dumbbells
cyclist2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 06:41 PM   #23
irwin7638
Senior Member
 
irwin7638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi.
Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
Posts: 2,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan View Post
Back in the day, I used to just focus on upper body as well. My friend and I would spend a couple hours every other day in my basement doing bench presses (flat, incline, decline), dumbbell presses, flies, etc. Now I really want to strengthen my legs as well. Unfortunately, I don't have all the time I used to when I was still in college. I currently have some adjustable dumbbells (power blocks) at home and try to finish my whole routine in 30 mins. After I finish a set of dumbbell presses, I'd go straight to doing a leg exercise... and then immediately back to upper body. I try to do this every other day. On my off days, I jog on the treadmill. On the weekends, I ride my bike...

By the way, where in Michigan do you live? My wife and I used to live in Warren and my parents live in Bloomfield Hills right off Square Lake between Telegraph and Woodward.
I like the powerblocks also, they are incredibly convenient at home. If I wanted leg work with those, I would be doing lunges and simply stair climbing with them in my hand. I don't think there is enough weight in my set to really build legs with squats. I live in Kalamzoo on the the other side of the state. I am familiar with the Detroit area though, I have cousins in Warren.

Marc
irwin7638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 10:05 PM   #24
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
I like the powerblocks also, they are incredibly convenient at home. If I wanted leg work with those, I would be doing lunges and simply stair climbing with them in my hand. I don't think there is enough weight in my set to really build legs with squats. I live in Kalamzoo on the the other side of the state. I am familiar with the Detroit area though, I have cousins in Warren.

Marc
Yea, the powerblocks are great! Originally, I only bought the ones that go up to 50lbs. This was when I was still focusing on my upper body. Anyway, 50lbs became too light for chest exercises, so the place I bought them at let me exchange them for the ones that go up to 90lbs each... more than enough weight for my weak legs... Kalamazoo is definitely far from Metro Detroit. The farthest west I used to go was Albion, when we used to visit my lil sister at school.
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 10:10 PM   #25
TrekmanDan
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
TrekmanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston
Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and I did our typical 15 mile bike ride on Saturday and even after just a couple weeks of doing leg exercises (squats, leg extensions, calf raises) I already notice a considerable difference in my strength. Now whenever I climb the hills, I feel like i have a lot more power. However, now I'm starting to notice that my stamina is my weakest link. Before, my legs would turn into jello before I run out of steam... Now, I'm running out of breath before I feel anything in my legs!
TrekmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.