Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-11, 03:30 PM   #1
cheungupdt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgot to shift down and stuck on a high gear after a stop on a uphill, what to do?

I have a situation, just want to hear some input from more experienced cyclist.

I have my clipless, i was riding fast on a flat road, and then i encounter a uphill. I was powering through without problem. But suddenly, there is a stop light and forces me to stop suddenly. I forgot to downshift, so i'm still stuck on a high gear. I'm on my clipless, so my left leg does really get me much power until i "clipped" onto the clipless ( i generally takes about 2+ pedal to fully gotten my clipless to "clip" in). With just my right leg giving me power for half a padel, it doesn't give me any speed to go on, and i'm stuck without moving. So what should i do?

This happened to me once, and at the end, i have to walk my bike to aside and "manually" downshift by physically switching the chain to a low gear. I don't have super good balance especially when i'm slow or not moving, so i can't wait until i'm "clipped" before start moving forward.

What do you guys do in this situation?
cheungupdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:36 PM   #2
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,738
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
If you are in the big ring:

1) keep your right foot clipped in
2) with your left hand shift the front derailler onto the small ring
3) reach back with your right hand, grab the back of the saddle and lift the rear wheel up a few cm
4) pedal forward with your right foot to drop the chain

Now you're in a smaller gear.
caloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:39 PM   #3
Dolamite02
Senior Member
 
Dolamite02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi via Nirone 7, GT Zaskar 9r Sport
Posts: 960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unclip your normal leg and put your foot down, lift yourself off the seat, shift your rear derailler a couple gears up. Now hold your front brake while lifting the seat with the other hand and slowly pedal forward with the still clipped in foot. Repeat as necessary to get into an appropriate gear.

Ultimately, you just need to lift the rear wheel off the ground, turn the cranks and shift the gears. No need to move off the road.
Dolamite02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 03:56 PM   #4
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungupdt View Post
I have a situation, just want to hear some input from more experienced cyclist.

I have my clipless, i was riding fast on a flat road, and then i encounter a uphill. I was powering through without problem. But suddenly, there is a stop light and forces me to stop suddenly. I forgot to downshift, so i'm still stuck on a high gear. I'm on my clipless, so my left leg does really get me much power until i "clipped" onto the clipless ( i generally takes about 2+ pedal to fully gotten my clipless to "clip" in). With just my right leg giving me power for half a padel, it doesn't give me any speed to go on, and i'm stuck without moving. So what should i do?

This happened to me once, and at the end, i have to walk my bike to aside and "manually" downshift by physically switching the chain to a low gear. I don't have super good balance especially when i'm slow or not moving, so i can't wait until i'm "clipped" before start moving forward.

What do you guys do in this situation?
Not to be a smart pants but this very problem is why I won't own anything but an internal hub bike.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 04:02 PM   #5
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Not to be a smart pants but this very problem is why I won't own anything but an internal hub bike.

Because of a mistake that most cyclists make once or twice, until they learn better?
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:33 PM   #6
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 11,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Actually, what you do in that situation is you learn not to get into that situation. But any solution is good, it's just not something you normally need to worry about because you learn fast from the first time.

I was talking to one of the bike shop guys one time and mentioned that situation and he said "Oh yeah, and then you have to take off in a monster gear.."
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:40 PM   #7
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
Because of a mistake that most cyclists make once or twice, until they learn better?
Yep, that and I don't like the extra maintenance that derailleurs need. My goal was to point out that derailleurs aren't the only game in town.

Since I have no wish to hijack this tread please back to the question about derailleur shifting.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:55 PM   #8
Carley P.
Senior Member
 
Carley P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, Ky
Bikes: 2013 Niner EMD (29er), 2012 Motobecane New Fantom Cross (Cyclocross), Vintage Schwinn Voyegeur set up in city mode w/ wald basket (Commuting), and a nashbar road frame w/ Shimano 600 components (wife's bike).
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I don't race or anything, (but still ride clipless), I wear shoes that are spd compatible but also have rubber on the bottom of them. That way, I can pedal without being clipped in without having the "slippery feet" problem. It helps a lot, and I can even walk in and out of stores without changing shoes.

For instance, if I'm riding on a lot of loose gravel or on a slippery area, I don't like to be clipped in because if my bike slides out from underneath of me I don't want to be attached to it. Since I can pedal without being clipped in, I'll just unclip myself, keep pedaling through the slipperiness, and then clip back in after I've passed the gravel/ice/whatever else is slippery.

In your situation, I would either do what Caloso said, or just start pedaling without being clipped in so if I start tipping over I can easily put a foot on the ground.

Also, (assuming there isn't any traffic), you could start by pedaling sideways on the hill, making the hill not a hill at all, and then after you've shifted down you could head uphill again.
Carley P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 06:41 PM   #9
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,907
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Not to be a smart pants but this very problem is why I won't own anything but an internal hub bike.
Does your IGH allow shifting under load? Or are you just saying that you can shift while stopped?
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 07:11 PM   #10
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Does your IGH allow shifting under load? Or are you just saying that you can shift while stopped?
Both. Most IGH's need you to ease up a bit on pedaling when shifting, but so do most derailleur systems if you want them to last. Lack of maintenance and ability to shift while at a standstill are a definite benefit of the IGH. Most riders don't need the close ratios or the maximum number of gears available for the general riding.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 07:22 PM   #11
cyclist2000
Senior Member
 
cyclist2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up
Bikes: Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1), looking for a Ti frame
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When stopped in the wrong gear, I stay on the bike, one foot on the ground, the foot clipped in the pedal.
Lift the rear wheel of the ground by pulling up the seat, now shift into the proper gear while pedaling the one foot.
cyclist2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 08:35 PM   #12
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Does your IGH allow shifting under load? Or are you just saying that you can shift while stopped?
yes, to both questions. Kinda hard on the hub but doable.

In all fairness I do own one bike with a derailleur that I don't ride much but won't part with. It's an old Schwinn World Tourist (Giant built for Schwinn) that has the Shimano Front Freewheel system that is very close to a IGH in operation I just can't shift while stopped. Other than that I have none of the concerns common with ordinary derailleurs.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Last edited by Nightshade; 01-26-11 at 08:45 PM.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 08:42 PM   #13
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Obvious solution is to blow through the red light. Health and life insurance premiums paid up?

I don't hesitate to get off the bike, lift the rear wheel and shift into a lower gear, when I get stuck in a high gear.
Quite a pain to take off from a standing start in a high gear on a recumbent bike.
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 11:46 PM   #14
cheungupdt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
If you are in the big ring:

1) keep your right foot clipped in
2) with your left hand shift the front derailler onto the small ring
3) reach back with your right hand, grab the back of the saddle and lift the rear wheel up a few cm
4) pedal forward with your right foot to drop the chain

Now you're in a smaller gear.
haha...that's a simple solution. I should have thought about it. Thanks for the tips!
cheungupdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 11:55 PM   #15
cheungupdt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Not to be a smart pants but this very problem is why I won't own anything but an internal hub bike.
j

Interesting, is this the only advantage of the IGH? Are there more advantages? I've learned something today about IGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
Actually, what you do in that situation is you learn not to get into that situation. But any solution is good, it's just not something you normally need to worry about because you learn fast from the first time.

I was talking to one of the bike shop guys one time and mentioned that situation and he said "Oh yeah, and then you have to take off in a monster gear.."
Now i've learned. But sometimes this is unavoidable i think, unless i blow a red light at the end....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Obvious solution is to blow through the red light. Health and life insurance premiums paid up?

I don't hesitate to get off the bike, lift the rear wheel and shift into a lower gear, when I get stuck in a high gear.
Quite a pain to take off from a standing start in a high gear on a recumbent bike.
haha...I'm trying my best to avoid blowing a red light. It's quite dangerous.
cheungupdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 12:22 AM   #16
fishymamba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal T.O.
Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Put your front brake on
shift into lower gear
lean forward and lift your back wheel up and start pedaling with one leg
fishymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 02:06 PM   #17
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungupdt View Post
j

Interesting, is this the only advantage of the IGH? Are there more advantages? I've learned something today about IGH.
This is a good explanation of the two drive systems. The difference really is in the application. In racing the derailleur is still king and rightly so. But for anything else the IGH has the real edge.

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/ge...vs-derailleur/
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 02:14 PM   #18
daven1986
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Both. Most IGH's need you to ease up a bit on pedaling when shifting, but so do most derailleur systems if you want them to last. Lack of maintenance and ability to shift while at a standstill are a definite benefit of the IGH. Most riders don't need the close ratios or the maximum number of gears available for the general riding.

Aaron
Not to be a smart pants but this is why I ride a fixed gear
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 02:40 PM   #19
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
This is a good explanation of the two drive systems. The difference really is in the application. In racing the derailleur is still king and rightly so. But for anything else the IGH has the real edge.

http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/ge...vs-derailleur/
That's a hugely broad and misleading statement. IGH's certainly have the edge when it comes to the reliability you'd want on a commuter bike, especially if you're riding in the snow or rain a lot.

But that's not a concern for a lot of people, even those who haven't the slightest interest in racing. IGH's are relatively much more expensive than derailleur bikes. You can buy a complete, perfectly serviceable derailleur drivetrain for less than $70, including crankset, chain, and RD. If you want to do loaded touring, the Rohloff is pretty much the only IGH recommended, and the hub *alone* costs as much as a complete, decent mid-level derailleur touring bike. You can walk into even the smallest back-of-beyond LBS and get the parts necessary to repair or replace a derailleur drivetrain - just try that with an IGH. You have a far larger selection of available wheelsets to meet any need and price point with a derailleur system, and so on.

So yeah, IGH's have their place, but to state that they have the edge over everything else except racing bike completely ignores the reality that you also end up *significantly* restricting the price points and freedom to get precisely the components you want to meet your particular needs. It smacks of someone deciding that the equipment they ride is appropriate for everyone, which is patently not true.
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 03:04 PM   #20
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
That's a hugely broad and misleading statement. .
Crap! It's really getting old that every time I state a simple opinion as ,I see it, some moron just has to come along to tell me I'm wrong! What the hell is wrong with people today?!?

So fella, everyone has different life experience that will lead them to opinion different than yours.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 03:07 PM   #21
mulveyr 
Senior Member
 
mulveyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the wilds of NY
Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Posts: 1,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Crap! It's really getting old that every time I state a simple opinion as ,I see it, some moron just has to come along to tell me I'm wrong! What the hell is wrong with people today?!?

So fella, everyone has different life experience that will lead them to opinion different than yours.

There's always the option of not making broad and misleading statements that can be disputed in a sentence or two...
__________________
Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.
mulveyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 05:29 PM   #22
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
There's always the option of not making broad and misleading statements that can be disputed in a sentence or two...
Our you could omit your opinion of the poster and just stick to the topic...........
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:26 PM   #23
cheungupdt
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, let's not argue. I know both of you just trying to help me out there. I know there are different opinion, and i'll certainly read more into it. I'm not the person that will following one particular person's opinion and educate others on it, so no worry.
cheungupdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:38 PM   #24
bengreen79
Allez means go.
 
bengreen79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Two Rivers, WI
Bikes:
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I find myself in your situation, I just downshift and keep pedaling as I brake. I find I can click down 3-4 gears easily without applying too much force against my braking effort. This can be done in a very short distance during a hard stop.

Last edited by bengreen79; 01-27-11 at 08:47 PM.
bengreen79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 10:17 PM   #25
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
yes, to both questions. Kinda hard on the hub but doable.

In all fairness I do own one bike with a derailleur that I don't ride much but won't part with. It's an old Schwinn World Tourist (Giant built for Schwinn) that has the Shimano Front Freewheel system that is very close to a IGH in operation I just can't shift while stopped. Other than that I have none of the concerns common with ordinary derailleurs.
Then it isn't an IGH.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.