Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-11, 11:38 PM   #1
Velo Dog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,801
OK, sorry, call me a grump, but I just can't wave at any more cyclists.

I did the same 25-mile round-trip commute by bike 75 or so times a year between 1979 and 2007, when I retired. When I started, I might ride all week without seeing another cyclist; On the rare occasions I did, it would be one guy, usually with a beard. We'd wave like fools, talk to each other, carry on like reunited brothers.
When Greg Lemond started winning Tours, more riders showed up. He grew up here, got some early sponsorshop from the local shops, and he was popular. Eventually I saw maybe half a dozen riders a week, or three in a group on Saturday.
Things slacked off for awhile, but then Lance came along. Cycling surged, and surged again when the Baby Boomer joggers gave up running to save their knees. I nodded grimly and acknowledged everybody.
Last Sunday we had a pretty nice day, and I rode most of the old commute route. I saw FIFTY-SEVEN riders, an average of about 2.3 a mile.
I wish everybody well. Enjoy your ride. But I'm not waving anymore.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 11:41 PM   #2
twobadfish
Riding
 
twobadfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
Posts: 1,603
twobadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:19 AM   #3
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
I don't mind riders that don't say hi. But I do mind the rides that don't respond when you say hi, smile, wave, but then want to suck your wheel when you pass them. Just don't be one of those.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:21 AM   #4
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
I see similar numbers of riders on many of my rides in the summer; if I waved at them all I'd break my arm.

In the winter, when it's rainy and cold, and only a few of us are out, I try to wave. Unless my hands are frozen to the handlebars.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 12:41 AM   #5
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
OP, welcome to my world Maybe I'll try counting how many other cyclists I see when I go for a decent distance.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 02:55 AM   #6
Northwestrider
Senior Member
 
Northwestrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
Posts: 2,347
It's just like when I was young and learning how to drive on back country roads, everyone would wave as there were few of us on the road. Now while driving those same roads few if any will wave. Its a function of numbers it seems.
Northwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 09:24 AM   #7
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
I did the same 25-mile round-trip commute by bike 75 or so times a year between 1979 and 2007, when I retired. When I started, I might ride all week without seeing another cyclist; On the rare occasions I did, it would be one guy, usually with a beard. We'd wave like fools, talk to each other, carry on like reunited brothers.
When Greg Lemond started winning Tours, more riders showed up. He grew up here, got some early sponsorshop from the local shops, and he was popular. Eventually I saw maybe half a dozen riders a week, or three in a group on Saturday.
Things slacked off for awhile, but then Lance came along. Cycling surged, and surged again when the Baby Boomer joggers gave up running to save their knees. I nodded grimly and acknowledged everybody.
Last Sunday we had a pretty nice day, and I rode most of the old commute route. I saw FIFTY-SEVEN riders, an average of about 2.3 a mile.
I wish everybody well. Enjoy your ride. But I'm not waving anymore.
Is it less trouble to count than to wave? Not sayin' I blame ya.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 10:22 AM   #8
2manybikes
Dog is my co-pilot
 
2manybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes: 2 many
Posts: 15,469
Waving or not waving means nothing.
2manybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 10:28 AM   #9
StanSeven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: No Va but ride also in So Md
Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Posts: 11,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
Is it less trouble to count than to wave? Not sayin' I blame ya.
Quote:
I saw FIFTY-SEVEN riders, an average of about 2.3 a mile.
Yep. Grumpy with too much time on your hands - especially the distance calculation aprt
StanSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 04:36 PM   #10
DX-MAN
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,789
Never encountered that problem; most times, I get ignored, anyway, so I rarely acknowledge another rider unless he/she does first....

Your post left me wondering, though -- are you pedaling so hard that a series of little waves of the hand is too much effort? DAAAMMMMNN...!
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 04:38 PM   #11
electrik
Single-serving poster
 
electrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 5,098
If they wave at you and you don't wave back it probably says something. We don't need to call you anything! Haha.
electrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 06:37 PM   #12
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Honestly, I think waving is silly.

It's not like we're all overcoming some life-threatening disease or meeting up for the big game. Neither does anyone wave to every walker, driver, or fellow riders on the bus or train. Is the act of waving to other cyclists the same kind of approval-seeking that makes people say, "Hey mom, look at me!"?

I'm not antisocial, mind you. I'll chat about our bikes or the weather or whatever as we're tooling along. As an example, I got put into contact with a sports physiology clinic because of talking with a stranger during a ride. I'll often try a head nod or just a lift of the finger, or just a "'Mornin'" while we're waiting at a light.

But, really, most of the time, we're just trying to go somewhere. Bikes become plain ol' transportation devices after a while.
BarracksSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 12:32 AM   #13
Velo Dog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern Nevada
Bikes:
Posts: 3,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestrider View Post
It's just like when I was young and learning how to drive on back country roads, everyone would wave as there were few of us on the road. Now while driving those same roads few if any will wave. Its a function of numbers it seems.
I hadn't thought of that...when I got out of the Army in 1968, I bought an MGB, then traded up to a Fiat 124. Foreign cars were pretty rare in those days, and everybody waved. Then there got to be a kind of hierarchy, where, say, Triumph and MG drivers could wave to each other, and Porsche drivers could wave to Jaguars, but an Austin Healey guy wasn't required to acknowledge a Volkswagen and nobody waved at Renaults.
Help me out here: When I'm on my old beater Trek, is the waving order different than when I'm on my Atlantis?
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 02:35 AM   #14
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane
 
Chris L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Bikes:
Posts: 9,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Honestly, I think waving is silly.

It's not like we're all overcoming some life-threatening disease or meeting up for the big game. Neither does anyone wave to every walker, driver, or fellow riders on the bus or train. Is the act of waving to other cyclists the same kind of approval-seeking that makes people say, "Hey mom, look at me!"?

I'm not antisocial, mind you. I'll chat about our bikes or the weather or whatever as we're tooling along. As an example, I got put into contact with a sports physiology clinic because of talking with a stranger during a ride. I'll often try a head nod or just a lift of the finger, or just a "'Mornin'" while we're waiting at a light.

But, really, most of the time, we're just trying to go somewhere. Bikes become plain ol' transportation devices after a while.
This is about the first sensible post in the thread.

If you want to wave, go ahead and wave, but if you're doing it expecting a reaction, then you have other issues that you need to resolve before you worry about someone else waving back to you. Get over it.
__________________
"I am never going to flirt with idleness again" - Roy Keane
"We invite everyone to question the entire culture we take for granted." - Manic Street Preachers.
My blog.
My bike tours. Japan tour page under construction.
Chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:24 AM   #15
JimF22003
Senior Member
 
JimF22003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
Posts: 2,654
This is the only time I find waving annoying: when I'm going the opposite direction from a largish group ride that is spread out over 5 or 10 miles, and they're riding alone or in small groups: they always look surprised to see me and I get a lot of happy waves. I do the 2-finger thing out of courtesy, but it gets pretty annoying by the time I work my way back to the stragglers... and for some reason the stragglers seem to be the most enthusiastic wavers
JimF22003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 08:56 AM   #16
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,405
I feel bad about it, but I quit waving too. most of the riders I see are either too scared to let go of the brifters on their super stiff carbon fiber steeds or are too busy training for the world championships and never wave back.
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 09:01 AM   #17
Dan Burkhart 
Senior member
 
Dan Burkhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 5,892
[QUOTE=JimF22003;12222139]This is the only time I find waving annoying: when I'm going the opposite direction from a largish group ride that is spread out over 5 or 10 miles, and they're riding alone or in small groups: they always look surprised to see me and I get a lot of happy waves. I do the 2-finger thing out of courtesy, but it gets pretty annoying by the time I work my way back to the stragglers... and for some reason the stragglers seem to be the most enthusiastic wavers [/QUOTE]

Of course. That's because we're just out for the joy of the ride, not some foolish competition.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:59 AM   #18
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Posts: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
Of course. That's because we're just out for the joy of the ride, not some foolish competition.
Ooh, do I detect a bit of "if you're going faster than me you must be a racer-boy" attitude?
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.