I'm a new poster, but have turned to BikeForums for info several times before. I am looking for advice on buying/building my "perfect bike." Please read on if you're interested. If I'm in the wrong forum, please advise.
There are several competing requirements, but here's a shot at what I'm looking for:
- large frame, as I'm 6'6", 225# (I once had a 26" frame and enjoyed it because it was too big for most people to ride/steal), prefer 29" (700c?) wheels
- prefer a hybrid, more upright style, I mostly ride in town for transporting myself and my stuff (groceries, etc.) around, comfort trumps style
- would like a step-through (as I get older and flexibility is declining), but have big concerns about frame stiffness with a larger bike
- I think the cargo bikes are cute, but need a standard wheelbase so the bike will fit conveniently into bus bike racks I use regularly
- gears - I live in Pittsburgh, so there are often hills, sometimes fairly steep - I rarely shift the front derailleur in town, but will shift all the way down when climbing a big hill
- prefer to have disk brakes
- wouldn't mind some shock absorption on front tire and/or seat
I've been hunting for step throughs on line, but they tend to be small. I'd buy a women's if they came big enough. Budget would be in the $700-1K area, but might need to go higher if the options are working with a custom frame maker.
Thanks in advance for any advice, links, recommendations, etc.