Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2005 NiteRider Flamethrower HID/LED

    Does anyone have this unit? If so, what are your impressions? I currently own a NightRider halogen lamp, but want to do HID for fast singletrack, and fast road riding. I've read about this unit, but I want to know if anyone has any actual experience.

    ThanX!!!!!!!!!!



    FYI, here's a link:

    2005 NiteRider Flamethrower HID/LED

  2. #2
    GMR
    GMR is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Niterider Blowtorch and I love it. It does not have the LEDs just the main HID beam. All I can say is HID lights are bright as hell. It is the brightest light I have owned and I am very happy with it. I think you will be pleased with it for single tracking although you may want to consider the helmet mounted version because it allows you to put the light where you are looking. This comes in handy for certain situations like a tight hairpin turn where a handle bar mounted light will be pointing off into the woods and not where you are trying to see.

  3. #3
    LeMond Lives! Dusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edina, MN
    My Bikes
    In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the storm. It is a helmet mount. I like that better than putting in on the bars. ( I did get the bar mount kit when i bought the light, tried it once. the helmet light is always pointed were I'm looking. I can flash cars by moving my head. I have been able get cars to dim their lights the thing is so bright.

    Nightrider is a good brand. Wish mine had bat. level but it runs so long it is not a problem.

    Cheers,
    Dusk

  4. #4
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GMR
    I have a Niterider Blowtorch and I love it. It does not have the LEDs just the main HID beam. All I can say is HID lights are bright as hell. It is the brightest light I have owned and I am very happy with it. I think you will be pleased with it for single tracking although you may want to consider the helmet mounted version because it allows you to put the light where you are looking. This comes in handy for certain situations like a tight hairpin turn where a handle bar mounted light will be pointing off into the woods and not where you are trying to see.
    I do have a helmet mounted light (halogen NightRider) that I will continue to use in my off-road rides. It's really nice to have both when the going gets tough! Anywho, how much time do you get out of your batteries? NightRider advertises 4 hours for the Blowtorch. Do you get that much? ThanX!!

  5. #5
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    I have the storm. It is a helmet mount. I like that better than putting in on the bars. ( I did get the bar mount kit when i bought the light, tried it once. the helmet light is always pointed were I'm looking. I can flash cars by moving my head. I have been able get cars to dim their lights the thing is so bright.

    Nightrider is a good brand. Wish mine had bat. level but it runs so long it is not a problem.

    Cheers,
    Dusk
    ThanX for the reply! How much run-time do you generally get?

  6. #6
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe light & motion has one with a very light lithium ion battery and runs for over 6 hours.

  7. #7
    LeMond Lives! Dusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edina, MN
    My Bikes
    In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro
    Posts
    560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bac
    ThanX for the reply! How much run-time do you generally get?
    Run time of five hours or so. I have never run it out in one ride. The bat charges in 4 hours.

    Cheers,
    Dusk

  8. #8
    GMR
    GMR is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lonest I have been out with it was about 3 and a half hours so I honestly don't know when it will die.

  9. #9
    Junior Member w&odguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bac
    Does anyone have this unit? If so, what are your impressions? I currently own a NightRider halogen lamp, but want to do HID for fast singletrack, and fast road riding. I've read about this unit, but I want to know if anyone has any actual experience.
    I had been using the Trail Rat and just got the Flamethrower -- night and day, to make a bad joke. Tremendous amount of light and the built-in LEDs are a nice touch. Little things are good about it too; the universal mount really is universal.

    During the winter about 10 miles of my daily commute is in total darkness on the way home, and I felt I needed a) better light than the 10w TR, b) better battery life and c) a faster charge. Flamethrower easily has enough light to approach daylight speeds, if that is your main criteria.

  10. #10
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w&odguy
    I had been using the Trail Rat and just got the Flamethrower -- night and day, to make a bad joke. Tremendous amount of light and the built-in LEDs are a nice touch. Little things are good about it too; the universal mount really is universal.

    During the winter about 10 miles of my daily commute is in total darkness on the way home, and I felt I needed a) better light than the 10w TR, b) better battery life and c) a faster charge. Flamethrower easily has enough light to approach daylight speeds, if that is your main criteria.
    ThanX for the reply. I bought the FT a few weeks ago, and love it. The LED backup tipped the scale for me in favor of the NiteRider.

  11. #11
    Meow! my58vw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Riverside, California
    My Bikes
    Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter
    Posts
    6,025
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the blowtorch, 4 hours life straight... use it for patrol, way too bright
    Just your average club rider... :)

  12. #12
    Pat
    Pat is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Posts
    2,795
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2004 blow torch, I think. I also have a halogen 15 watt unit. The halogen unit offers good visibility for cars but it is not that great at illumination of the road. The beam has a wide scatter so if I am relying on it to show me approaching pot holes and other hazards, I have to slow down to about 15 mph.

    The HID throws light out much farther. I can cruise at speeds over 20 mph with a pretty high level of confidence. I don't think the beam lasts quite a long as advertised but just a bit less then advertised.

  13. #13
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,922
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the older (non LED) blowtorch for at least three years. I ride at least one century every single week. Untill snow, then less distance but I put in the time. I come home on a regular basis from a ride at midnight or later. I use the four hour burn time all the time.

    1) It does go 4 hours-- 4hrs 10 min. I have run it down till it flickers a little and then shut it off. No problems - still going strong.

    2) I did have one problem with not starting, this was not too uncomon with the early ones. NO BIG DEAL call Nightrider on the phone, they will fix it NO hassles and send it back. They don't want email, just call. Service is GREAT. Don't mess around with the light, send it back. You need to call first for an aproval number before shipping No hassles. That was over a year ago.

    3) my nine year old pro-6 still works. My seven year old classic that I sold to a buddy when I needed more burn time is still being used every week. I ride with him all the time.

    There are other good lights out there, but I can speak about these from experience.

    Now the four hour burn time is not enought for me. Now I have this...it will blow your mind...and your wallet.....scroll down to edison 10 and click on the picture and the specs come up. The winner of the national 24 hour mtb races uses this, he loves it.

    65watts equiv. 5 hours
    40 watts equiv..8 hours...

    http://www.lupine.de/en/produkte/produkte.php

  14. #14
    Maglia Ciclamino gcasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an '03 or '04 model Niterider Flamethrower for a few months. It put out impressive light; it was my first HID light. The real beauty of HID lights is that they are so bright, that you ARE SEEN. Where before I would play "dodge cars" with my lightweight halogen light, car drivers see the HID light and think it's a motorcycle or something. They don't dick around when they see it.

    I am going to sell my Flamethrower though. It does not last more than 2 hours or so now, supposedly because the chip or battery monitor thinks it's out of charge when it isn't. I dunno exactly the problem. For my quick 1.5 mile commute, it's not a problem. For my 1-2 hour training rides, it is.

    So I got a Light & Motion Li-on Ultra. 5-6 hour runtime advertised. We'll see. I got it mainly because it has both helmet and bar mounts. I wanted the helmet mount, because HID lights screw with the wireless computers on my bike. And as others have said, "Where ever you look, you have light."

    Well, I love the helmet mount, and it came in REAL handy tonight. I was on my way to work when I came slowly rolling to a stop light. I noticed a Mercedes turning right onto my street; I was in the left turn lane thirty feet from the stop light in preparation to turn left onto the street the Mercedes was coming from. Well, it's a slightly tight turn, but this lady goes WIDE, well into my left turn lane. I saw it the whole way and made some space, but...

    I turned my head and put the light ON HER. Naturally, naturally, she's on her cell phone. Got her attention though, and that episode tonight sold me on the helmet mounted light. Highly recommend any helmet mounted light, any HID light, and the Light & Motion Li-on Ultra. Hopefully the battery life measures up to the advertisement.

  15. #15
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,922
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcasillo
    I had an '03 or '04 model Niterider Flamethrower for a few months. It put out impressive light; it was my first HID light. The real beauty of HID lights is that they are so bright, that you ARE SEEN. Where before I would play "dodge cars" with my lightweight halogen light, car drivers see the HID light and think it's a motorcycle or something. They don't dick around when they see it.

    I am going to sell my Flamethrower though. It does not last more than 2 hours or so now, supposedly because the chip or battery monitor thinks it's out of charge when it isn't. I dunno exactly the problem. For my quick 1.5 mile commute, it's not a problem. For my 1-2 hour training rides, it is.

    So I got a Light & Motion Li-on Ultra. 5-6 hour runtime advertised. We'll see. I got it mainly because it has both helmet and bar mounts. I wanted the helmet mount, because HID lights screw with the wireless computers on my bike. And as others have said, "Where ever you look, you have light."

    Well, I love the helmet mount, and it came in REAL handy tonight. I was on my way to work when I came slowly rolling to a stop light. I noticed a Mercedes turning right onto my street; I was in the left turn lane thirty feet from the stop light in preparation to turn left onto the street the Mercedes was coming from. Well, it's a slightly tight turn, but this lady goes WIDE, well into my left turn lane. I saw it the whole way and made some space, but...

    I turned my head and put the light ON HER. Naturally, naturally, she's on her cell phone. Got her attention though, and that episode tonight sold me on the helmet mounted light. Highly recommend any helmet mounted light, any HID light, and the Light & Motion Li-on Ultra. Hopefully the battery life measures up to the advertisement.
    Just wondering, did you talk to Nightrider and send the light back for free service?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently sent a niterider storm back since it would only run for minutes even though the charger indicated a full charge. They fixed it and returned it to me within 2 weeks (including mailing in both directions) for free.

    Also, if you own an old niterider they have a very attractive upgrade program where you send them your old light and they will sell you a new light at a very reduced cost.

  17. #17
    Maglia Ciclamino gcasillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought the Niterider light on eBay, so I'm not sure I could return it. Had I bought it new myself, I would have returned it for repair.

  18. #18
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,922
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado
    I recently sent a niterider storm back since it would only run for minutes even though the charger indicated a full charge. They fixed it and returned it to me within 2 weeks (including mailing in both directions) for free.

    Also, if you own an old niterider they have a very attractive upgrade program where you send them your old light and they will sell you a new light at a very reduced cost.
    My point exactly good service !!! No hassles no reciptes needed no proof of purchase.

  19. #19
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,922
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcasillo
    Bought the Niterider light on eBay, so I'm not sure I could return it. Had I bought it new myself, I would have returned it for repair.
    I'm very glad you mentioned this .......they DON'T CARE...... where you got the light or how old it is. They will fix it unless you did something to ruin the light. They just want you to call first and explain to them on the phone what is going on, so that they don't just get a light in the mail with no record of what to do, or who owns it. They won't even ask where it came from. They just want happy customers. It works, they made me happy too.

    If it is damaged by something they think you did, they will call you and ask if you want to pay to fix it, or not. They even pay for the return shipping !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •