Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntersvile, NC
    My Bikes
    Free spirit dynasty
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Building a single speed

    I'm new to this whole gig and looking for some help. I was given an old free spirit dynasty and want to convert it to single speed. I've stripped everything but the brakes. I've purchased a set of wheels with a flip flop hub. The rear wheel fits perfectly but front wheel does not. What should I do??

  2. #2
    Senior Member hamish5178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon Brown + the SSFG forum
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    It's a fixie, reasonablility was never a factor.
    My poser bike

    my non-poser bike?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Monster Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    My Bikes
    2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything wrong with using the original front wheel? If not then just use that with the new rear wheel. It may be that the new wheel has a different dropout spacing to the old? Pictures would help.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntersvile, NC
    My Bikes
    Free spirit dynasty
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original front wheel has a very old tire which appears to have some dry-rot. I tried removing the tire from the old wheel but it almost seems attached to the wheel itself, which i didnt think was possible. Its a Free Spirit dynasty made by sears back in 85 and all of the parts are clearly original. Is it possible to change the front axle?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntersvile, NC
    My Bikes
    Free spirit dynasty
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post pictures tonight when I get home if that would help!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    3,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeynard View Post
    I'll post pictures tonight when I get home if that would help!
    That'll probably help. Is the axle too big to fit into the dropouts (places where the axles are SUPPOSED to go)? If so, it MAY be possible to file the dropouts bigger, but I'd be cautious. The FS is a cheap bike that I'm sure had stamped steel dropouts--they'll look like flat pieces of steel welded to the fork blades, not like they were cast from molten metal.
    If the spacing is wrong--the hub is too wide or too narrow for the forks--you can probably just jam it in there and clamp it down, but no guarantees. I'd probably do both those things, but I'm not advising you to do them.
    As for the tire, it has to come off, so just take it off. Try tire levers, then a screwdriver (longer for more leverage), pliers, a scraper, sandpaper, whatever it takes. Clean off ALL the debris, get new rim tape and a new tube and tire and ride into the sunset.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntersvile, NC
    My Bikes
    Free spirit dynasty
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hub is too wide I believe. The nut closest to the wheels center is preventing the threaded axle to slide into the fork drop outs. If that makes sense..haha

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntersvile, NC
    My Bikes
    Free spirit dynasty
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]left side 2.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,708
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeynard View Post
    The Hub is too wide I believe. The nut closest to the wheels center is preventing the threaded axle to slide into the fork drop outs. If that makes sense..haha
    You should be able to pull the fork blades apart enough to get the wheel in place. If you pull a little harder, it'll stay that width. Don't worry- this is a normal bike shop procedure for cheap bike. You can overdo it- so don't.

    The process is almost identical to spreading a frame: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  10. #10
    Fat Guy Rolling dcrowell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Louisville Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
    Posts
    2,439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    You should be able to pull the fork blades apart enough to get the wheel in place. If you pull a little harder, it'll stay that width. Don't worry- this is a normal bike shop procedure for cheap bike. You can overdo it- so don't.

    The process is almost identical to spreading a frame: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
    I agree with Jeff.

    My Raleigh Record converted to single-speed (and 700c wheels) has the same issue with the front wheel. It's a pain to put the wheel back in, but I've done it on the side of the road before.

    Steel is flexible.
    Car-Free IT Geek
    My blog: fatguy.org

    Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, 1980s Raleigh Record single-speed conversion, Bacchetta Agio

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntersvile, NC
    My Bikes
    Free spirit dynasty
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it happen! thanks alot guys.

    Now, Another problem..The original crankset was obviously a multispeed set with three chain rings. when I tried to fit the chain to the smallest chain ring from the single speed freewheel the chain wasn't running straight it had a slight twist to it. Obviously this isn't going to fly. Im assuming i should purchase a single speed 48 tooth chain ring and crankset however I fear ill have similiar issues to the one i had when trying to install the front wheel. Any suggestions??

  12. #12
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,708
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeynard View Post
    I made it happen! thanks alot guys.

    Now, Another problem..The original crankset was obviously a multispeed set with three chain rings. when I tried to fit the chain to the smallest chain ring from the single speed freewheel the chain wasn't running straight it had a slight twist to it. Obviously this isn't going to fly. Im assuming i should purchase a single speed 48 tooth chain ring and crankset however I fear ill have similiar issues to the one i had when trying to install the front wheel. Any suggestions??
    We'll need to know what crankset is on the bike now. There's several different types of cranksets, although I bet you have a one-piece type steel crank. This can be made to work.

    BTW: try posting to the Bicycle Mechanics forum- but also wander through Sheldon Brown's web pages. Lots and lots of good info there.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •