Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any females having problem finding the right seat for her road bike?

    I just purchased a new Orbea, Onix after riding a hybrid. Due to the positioning and being more forward I have tried every seat possible. If its not the crushing of my lips it the pain on my pelvic bone. Any suggestions? Does it take awhile to break in a seat or should it feel comfortable from the start/

  2. #2
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,196
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not since I bought a Brooks B17 Men's Standard saddle.

    Brooks saddles take a while to break in because they are leather ... others should be right from the first ride if they are going to work.

    Saddles with cutouts were the worst for me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you need to try a men's seat? You could have more narrow sit bones than most females, so don't be afraid to try because of that. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Pedaled too far. Artkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    La Petite Roche
    Posts
    12,266
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister has complained that inability to get a proper saddle has been why she has not returned to riding. I notice that some bike shops have saddle fitting meters. Has anyone ever tried those?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold a used bike to a lady with the same condition. She said that no matter how I adjusted the seat , she either felt like she was sliding forward, or that the seat pushed her " Moosh-Moosh " area to hard . A skinny man's seat from a road bike finally made her happy.

  6. #6
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pic from the side showing your leg extended as far as the pedal will go would help.

    Is your handlebar higher or lower than the seat, and how much.

    If it's close to the bars, a B17 or B17N is often a good choice.

    If it's an inch or two lower than the bars, than a thinner saddle is usually preferred.

    A lot of bikes come with crappy saddles. You'll have to try a few to
    find one you like, but you'll get there.
    Old Man Maine

  7. #7
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a Terry Butterfly....my wife has one on all three of her bikes and loves it way more than even the Brooks she had previously
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  8. #8
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,196
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    Try a Terry Butterfly....my wife has one on all three of her bikes and loves it way more than even the Brooks she had previously
    I'm just the opposite ... the Terry Butterfly is one of the worst saddles I've ever tried. You just never know!!


    But I doubt very much that the OP has, as she states, "tried every seat possible". But I would recommend trying a Butterfly and a Brooks, and several others.

  9. #9
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    I'm just the opposite ... the Terry Butterfly is one of the worst saddles I've ever tried. You just never know!!


    But I doubt very much that the OP has, as she states, "tried every seat possible". But I would recommend trying a Butterfly and a Brooks, and several others.
    Yep, a saddle is a personal thing. One person's dream in another person's ass hatchet.

    Did yours have cromo or ti rails? The reason I ask is because Cheri loves her two pink Ti Butterflies, but isn't thrilled with her black cromo-railed version. Sometimes I think much of the comfort is more in her head than in her butt - but if yours was a chromo maybe there is something more to it.

    I think Team Estrogen is a good source for at least browsing many of the women's saddles that are available, considering the site is for women and most of the saddle reviews are from women.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  10. #10
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Terry Butterfly has changed. The new version has gel....
    Old Man Maine

  11. #11
    Long Distance Cyclist Machka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I ride where the thylacine roamed!
    My Bikes
    Lots
    Posts
    39,196
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably chromo rails ... but it is the sharp pronounced edges around the cutout that I end up sitting on with my soft bits that really makes the saddle hurt. No matter how I adjusted the saddle, I just couldn't sit on my sitbones properly.

  12. #12
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    My sister has complained that inability to get a proper saddle has been why she has not returned to riding. I notice that some bike shops have saddle fitting meters. Has anyone ever tried those?
    Specialized has the sit bones measuring system, a lot of Specialized dealers can measure them.

    Here is a link to the Specialized saddle fit web page, the OP might want to check it out and get her measurements taken.

    Also, there is a women's forum you can gain access to after accruing 50 posts so you can send private messages. Send a PM to Siu Blue Wind (administrator) to get access.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  13. #13
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,280
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atagrl View Post
    I just purchased a new Orbea, Onix after riding a hybrid. Due to the positioning and being more forward I have tried every seat possible. If its not the crushing of my lips it the pain on my pelvic bone. Any suggestions? Does it take awhile to break in a seat or should it feel comfortable from the start/
    Much good info and comments here on seats for women........
    http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/...e-saddles.html
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,596
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are Donut saddles by other makers, Selle Italia for one,
    I have adopted a Uni womens wider Fi:zik' Vitesse , of late , Its OK but
    the hard edge of the shell support on the back of my legs is noticed.

    I got mine thru Brompton sellers, as the factory order got tall saddle rails bend ,
    so I can shove the seat back further, on a seatpost with little setback.

  15. #15
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    The Terry Butterfly has changed. The new version has gel....
    There is more than one Butterfly, all are not gel. Cheri's were all bought in the same year too.
    http://www.terrybicycles.com/2011-Terry-Womens-Saddles
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    My Bikes
    2012 Scott CR1 Comp
    Posts
    1,239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, do not limit yourself to saddles labeled as "women's" saddles.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT set up for commuting
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    Brooks saddles take a while to break in because they are leather ... others should be right from the first ride if they are going to work.
    The saddle should be comfortable immediately for < 2hr rides. Machka-length rides will require some saddle break-in.

  18. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I am on a Selle, TRK and it seems to be working great.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT set up for commuting
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Specialized has the sit bones measuring system, a lot of Specialized dealers can measure them.
    This helped my wife... go get your sitbones measured. You'll then know where you fall in terms of the average woman (narrow, medium, wide, etc.). You can then select a Specialized or a different option in that size. Note that your bone spacing has little to do with body or hip size; I've seen large women require narrow saddles and vice versa.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has had trouble with this. She loves the B17 on her hybrid, but it and her Ruby's stock saddle didn't work on the road bike. We've tried several but think at least in her case, a Brooks Team Pro is working the best so far. Not sure if it's the narrowness or the rigidity.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Santa Fe, New Mexico & San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
    My Bikes
    '72 Colnago, 84 Trek 600, 87 Specialized Sirrus, 87 Specialized Rockhopper, '04 Cannondale Optima, '06 Motobecane 600HT, 08 Motobecane Single Speed
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it takes some riding to get your bottom "hardened" on any saddle.
    The least expensive option, IMHO, and at least worth a try, is a
    recommendation from Cobb Cycling. Just set the saddle a few degrees
    off straight ahead - either right or left. This seems to work for women & men.
    Moves the pressure off the more sensitive areas.
    Good luck!

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearland, Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Posts
    5,619
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    atagirl, Good to read you're having some success. Do you have the men's or the women's TRK saddle.

    TIA, Brad

  23. #23
    Mrs. Hop-along redeyedtreefr0g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seville, FL
    My Bikes
    Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also having trouble with my seat. My husband thought it would be funny or quicker to ride my bike over to the car to rack it for the ride home, and unbenownst to me it must have been coming loose. The seat/saddle swiveled on the seatpole.

    In trying to retighten it, I have ruined whatever combination was working passably for me. (Also the handlebars were loose enough that he asked me how I could ride with them crooked. I told him they weren't crooked until just then. /shrug) So I readjusted and tightened things- and messed them up!

    Now instead of being able to ride for a whole hour before noticing squashed front bits, I'm putting more pressure on my arms I feel, and squishing my buttocks.

    Like a previous poster mentioned about his wife: its getting to where I somewhat dread a ride, contemplating what new and fantastic ways I can find to torture myself in trying to remedy the situation!

    I was wondering: when and why do adjustments need to be made to the saddle? IE- when to raise the saddle (for proper leg extention I think, right?) when to lower it, why you would need to move it forward or back, why change the angle. That type of thing. I understand the saddle itself is most likely not my ideal, but at the moment it's all I've got and it DID work reasonably well for a while.

  24. #24
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redeyedtreefr0g View Post
    I'm also having trouble with my seat. My husband thought it would be funny or quicker to ride my bike over to the car to rack it for the ride home, and unbenownst to me it must have been coming loose. The seat/saddle swiveled on the seatpole.

    In trying to retighten it, I have ruined whatever combination was working passably for me. (Also the handlebars were loose enough that he asked me how I could ride with them crooked. I told him they weren't crooked until just then. /shrug) So I readjusted and tightened things- and messed them up!

    Now instead of being able to ride for a whole hour before noticing squashed front bits, I'm putting more pressure on my arms I feel, and squishing my buttocks.

    Like a previous poster mentioned about his wife: its getting to where I somewhat dread a ride, contemplating what new and fantastic ways I can find to torture myself in trying to remedy the situation!

    I was wondering: when and why do adjustments need to be made to the saddle? IE- when to raise the saddle (for proper leg extention I think, right?) when to lower it, why you would need to move it forward or back, why change the angle. That type of thing. I understand the saddle itself is most likely not my ideal, but at the moment it's all I've got and it DID work reasonably well for a while.
    Have a bike shop adjust it, and ask if you can watch them do it.

    You need to find the right height, the proper distance from the bars, and then the best angle (which isn't always flat).
    Old Man Maine

  25. #25
    Mrs. Hop-along redeyedtreefr0g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seville, FL
    My Bikes
    Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping for a Do-it-yourself option, unless perhaps the Bicycle Doctor store here in Bunnell, FL will do that for me for free. I suppose I could at least go there and pick their brains maybe to do it myself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •