Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-11, 04:35 PM   #1
RadioFlyer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hitch in my spin: me or my bike?

When I'm riding, I feel like something (bottom bracket?) is loose and there's a gap where my foot isn't engaged. This happens even up hill where I would think that the constant acceleration would create constant pressure for the full revolution.

Before taking my bike to the shop, I thought I'd ask y'all... could it be my mechanics or does it sound like something is off with my bike?

Thanks!
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:58 PM   #2
Machka 
Long Distance Cyclist
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: I ride where the thylacine roamed!
Bikes: Lots
Posts: 45,990
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Have you tried shifting?
Machka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 09:31 PM   #3
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is it skipping in all gears or just one?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 09:32 PM   #4
Robert Foster
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern california
Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
Posts: 3,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Without watching you it is hard to tell. But you might try a different stroke when pushing a hill. Many of us use the push pull when putting the hammer down and sometimes fall into the push only going uphill. I have started to convert to a forward and down kick, kick, kick when trying to sprint uphill. If concentrating on your stroke doesn't help get the bike checked out.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:38 AM   #5
RadioFlyer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
Have you tried shifting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Is it skipping in all gears or just one?
all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
Without watching you it is hard to tell. But you might try a different stroke when pushing a hill. Many of us use the push pull when putting the hammer down and sometimes fall into the push only going uphill. I have started to convert to a forward and down kick, kick, kick when trying to sprint uphill. If concentrating on your stroke doesn't help get the bike checked out.
yeah, I pull on the upstroke, seems less severe, but it's still there.

Thanks!
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:44 AM   #6
CbadRider
Administrator
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could put the bike on a stand and watch the chain while you move the cranks to see if something is off. If you don't see anything, time to go to the LBS.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 09:32 AM   #7
RadioFlyer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
You could put the bike on a stand and watch the chain while you move the cranks to see if something is off. If you don't see anything, time to go to the LBS.
Thanks!

If it is my bike, would it more likely be the BB, rings, cranks, something else?
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 PM.